Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2023 7:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1MRBEAN]
Just got this Colt KC the other day {serial # RA298xxx} and thought id give a quick review. I couldn't find any current reviews to see if Colt had changed anything over the last few years as far as quality or finish and it appears my review will echo others from years past.

1.There is still the awesome glowing stainless finish and the only flaws i found were under the grips. a few small spots that look like abrasions but i couldn't feel anything. A little metal polish and most of it disappeared. Everything else was tight ,smooth and straight.
2. The cylinder and barrel bores were a little dirty from factory firing but cleaned up perfect and smooth with the bore rifling and crown perfect. Sights and barrel alignment are straight. There is the small gap were the barrel meets the top of the frame and were the bottom lug meets the lower frame but the middle barrel area is snug against the frame. Are these clearance cuts to make sure the barrel tightens properly while reducing hand work or just poor QC ?  it seems like a consistent feature. You really have to have light behind it to really see the gaps.
Cylinder gap was measured a a snug .006 My like new S@W 10-6 measured at a snug .005
There is still three very tiny thread marks under top top strap above the forcing cone. This hasn't changed from earlier reviews. What affect will this have on future flame cutting i wonder.
3. The size and the grips are perfect. I'm blessed with small hands and Hobbit feet so it is really nice to hold a revolver that feels perfect in the hand. My wife and daughter like the size also.
4. Trigger pull. With snap caps i tried the speed shooting everyone is complaining about with the KC. I didn't realize how hard it was on your hand to pull the trigger as fast as you can. My hand got fatigue real quick and at the point {a dozen fast pulls } i was having difficulty pulling the trigger was the ONLY time i had the trigger lock up but it released quickly and never stuck. I did take a break and oiled the inner lock work and tried several more times while taking frequent breaks and it never happed again. The S@W was more forgiving in this regard as others have said it may be the lock work differences or strength of the trigger return spring.
Trigger weight. I tested both the KC and the S@W 10 and they were similar in weight. I am new to using the Lyman electronic pull gauge but seemed both pistol were around 8lbs and under for DA and around 2lbs and less for SA. The SA on both is scary ,you just think about squeezing and the hammer drops. The differences between both were how they felt and sounded The KC was smooth  while the S@W 10-6 felt crisp and had a more audible snap to it. I know the S@W 10 has the advantage of hand fitting but i wonder if the design has a lot to do with the crisper sound. Maybe i had too much oil in the Colt. Maybe some Colt fans can tell us about their older Colt triggers.

Forgot to mention the crane had the frame serial number on it but you have to look through the cylinder bores to see it.

Overall i'm very happy with my first Colt and cant wait to shoot it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a KC in 3" as well. I bought it before the Python came out in 3", so of course I got that one too.

I'm surprised at the weight difference between the two. The Python is much, much lighter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USPguy:

I'm surprised at the weight difference between the two. The Python is much, much lighter.
View Quote

You have that backwards. 3" KC = 28oz, 3" python = 40oz
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the trigger on my colt, nice and smooth huntington atm locations" />
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Happy with mine.  And my two Pythons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice grips belchfire!

Would you tell me the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly the Colt revolvers are the only wheel guns outside of a Chiappa Rhino I want to try...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one.
Sights were off. P.O.I. was way off from P.O.A.
Traded it away. Had it had an adjustable rear sight it would’ve been perfect.
Much preferred it over the larger heavier Python.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cecILL:
Nice grips belchfire!

View Quote

@belchfire

Please respond as I want a set too!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

@belchfire

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airgunner:
Originally Posted By cecILL:
Nice grips belchfire!

@belchfire

They look like Hogues
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine had to go back to Colt for a broken hammer. They took care of it pretty quickly.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Recommended owb holsters?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 7:25:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgt_D] [#13]
Bummed that Galco doesn't make one*.  Would really like another Combat Master, like I have for the K6S....

*for the Target model....
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Those grips are beautiful. Please tell me where you found them?
I have a ,22 Cobra just crying for them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:

Those grips are beautiful. Please tell me where you found them?
I have a ,22 Cobra just crying for them.
View Quote

As said above, they look like Hogues.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
Recommended owb holsters?
View Quote

I really like Bullard Leather. I've got maybe 8-9 of theirs in OWB config. I always use their Body Shield model, keeps the gun away from my bare skin. Quality is well past their price point, IMO. I always go with the lined option on mine, makes holstering much smoother, IMO.

Don't overlook a good shoulder holster as well. Craft Holsters makes an excellent design that's nicely priced. I have 3-4 of theirs as well.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

I really like Bullard Leather. I've got maybe 8-9 of theirs in OWB config. I always use their Body Shield model, keeps the gun away from my bare skin. Quality is well past their price point, IMO. I always go with the lined option on mine, makes holstering much smoother, IMO.

Don't overlook a good shoulder holster as well. Craft Holsters makes an excellent design that's nicely priced. I have 3-4 of theirs as well.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I just had delivered a nice OWB holster for my 4.25" version.  Brown leather thumb-break.

Looks super nice.  Muzzle is properly protected; unlike some I've wasted money on.  Super fast shipping.  It was in Istanbul two days ago, and somehow on my porch today.

$76.85

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Hope you have better luck than I’ve had. Mine has been back to colt two times. It shoots well and the sights are on. Good thing is Colt will take care of any problems you do have if any.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Lawman75:
Hope you have better luck than I’ve had. Mine has been back to colt two times. It shoots well and the sights are on. Good thing is Colt will take care of any problems you do have if any.
View Quote

Thanks !  i saw your post and asked for an update to your issues. My problem is my sister and her daughter love my King Cobra but I'm hesitant to suggest they buy one for home defense. Im used to firearms and their issues but they're new buyers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1MRBEAN:

Thanks !  i saw your post and asked for an update to your issues. My problem is my sister and her daughter love my King Cobra but I'm hesitant to suggest they buy one for home defense. Im used to firearms and their issues but they're new buyers.
View Quote

My response in the post:

So far so good. I’ve only had a chance to shoot it once but I got about 84 rounds through it with no issues. 12 of those rounds were .357.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top