Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 8:21:19 AM EDT
Finally got a chance to test out the new toy, a blackout version of Canik's competition gun, TP9sfx.  The Warren sights set is very good, I'm glad Canik put them on their pistols as standard equipment.  Trigger was pretty good out of the box but way too much take up/pre travel.  A drop in Freedomsmith Pro trigger replaced the factory unit and boy, what a huge difference!  As part of my improvement process, I change one part at a time to see/feel improvements and reliability before moving to the next part.  That split ring trigger return spring hack will be next.

So far after 200 rds, gun is accurate enough for 3 gunning.

The only problem encountered was that factory +2 base pad kept sliding off so I will either change it out to standard base pad or another Taylor Freelance.

Minor annoying issue for me was the magazine release button.  Even with the small pad, its square shape still dug into the palm of supporting hand, something I will need to address with a dremel

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sweet!  I like that they have put warren sights on them also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the look of that Blackout.  I have the FDE.

One thing to do is to redo the fiber in the front sight.

You stick a new one through from the front and light the tip above the slide quickly with a torch lighter.  You then pull the fiber out the front lightly while pressing the melted tip against the sight.  It makes the fiber dot bigger and more stuck into the sight.  You then cut the fiber in front of the sight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the slide ceracote or nitrided?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#4]
Thanks for the tip on the fiber optic!

Regarding the slide finish, it looks like nitride.

I got a set of reduced weight trigger springs coming from Galloway Precision. Will see how it feels after.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Update:

Replaced the factory trigger return spring with a Galloway unit. Changed out the striker block spring and replaced the factory striker spring with a glock 6.0 lb spring.  Trigger pull is around 3# now.

The factory striker spring is super strong, must be 10#.  That thing almost ripped my finger nail in trying to pull the cups apart.

Range test to follow but I'm sure the 6.0# striker spring will run just fine.  Will see how hard the primer gets hit before I reduce the striker spring to a 5# unit.  Pistol is just about ready to go to the races
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
These are sweet looking.  Totally want.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bravo5two:
Update:

Replaced the factory trigger return spring with a Galloway unit. Changed out the striker block spring and replaced the factory striker spring with a glock 6.0 lb spring.  Trigger pull is around 3# now.

The factory striker spring is super strong, must be 10#.  That thing almost ripped my finger nail in trying to pull the cups apart.

Range test to follow but I'm sure the 6.0# striker spring will run just fine.  Will see how hard the primer gets hit before I reduce the striker spring to a 5# unit.  Pistol is just about ready to go to the races
View Quote
Was the stock trigger the same as the SF?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#8]
Originally Posted By joenuclear1:

Was the stock trigger the same as the SF?
View Quote
I don't have the SF to give you 100% correct answer, but I guess is that they are the same across the entire TP9 line.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:19:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#9]
*** Update *** - The 6 lb Glock striker spring has plenty of power to light up commercial grade 9mm so when time permits, I will swap out for a 5.0 lb striker spring.

To date what I spent on this toy - Tax not included:

- TP9sfx - $402
- FS trigger - $75
- Galloway springs - $20

Total - $497

Closest comparable 3-gun match ready pistol I have is the S&W M&P Pro, and with Apex trigger + Warren sights upgrade, it was closer to $800 not to mention the costs of 3 barrels upgrades until I found one that worked (Apex gunsmith fit barrel). Out of the box accuracy and trigger of both my M&P Pros were not acceptable even in 3 gun realm.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chip3:
Is the slide ceracote or nitrided?
View Quote

I just purchased one. From what I can tell and what I have read from online stores its a black ceracote.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Like!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bravo5two:
*** Update *** - The 6 lb Glock striker spring has plenty of power to light up commercial grade 9mm so when time permits, I will swap out for a 5.0 lb striker spring.

To date what I spent on this toy - Tax not included:

- TP9sfx - $402
- FS trigger - $75
- Galloway springs - $20

Total - $497

Closest comparable 3-gun match ready pistol I have is the S&W M&P Pro, and with Apex trigger + Warren sights upgrade, it was closer to $800 not to mention the costs of 3 barrels upgrades until I found one that worked (Apex gunsmith fit barrel). Out of the box accuracy and trigger of both my M&P Pros were not acceptable even in 3 gun realm.

View Quote

Dang. $402? Where'd you find it that cheap? I was looking at one at a shop locally a few days ago and it was $475.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Very good looking. I just bought a Tungsten model as a G19 owner. Really like the Canik pistol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SavageTexan:

Dang. $402? Where'd you find it that cheap? I was looking at one at a shop locally a few days ago and it was $475.
View Quote

I bought it in Jan 2020 from CenterfireGuns in CO before the panic, price has gone up since then - https://www.centerfireguns.com/century-arms-canik-tp9sfx-9mm-20r-blk-blk-hg5632n.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top