Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2020 10:05:24 AM EDT
So I recently, 2 weeks ago, purchased a new colt combat unit cco in 9mm.  Last night I decided to take the grips off to change the mainspring housing.  The first screw I tried was turning but not coming out!!!  So I stopped turning it and took the other 3 out.  They all came out fine.  So I put some pressure from the reverse side on the grips and tried unscrewing the first one again.  Well it came out.. but more popped out than unscrewed.  The pressure I put on the grip while unscrewing was not a lot.  So now I have a grip screw and bushing that are stuck together in my grip.  By turning it I may have damaged the threading in the frame.  But I do not think that is my fault, bc I should expect to be able to unscrew a grip screw without the bushing turning in place.  I contacted colt.  

Seems the assembler at colt tightened the screw too much.  I will update when I hear from Colt, if I ever hear from Colt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I initially sent an email.  Just got off of the phone with Colt customer service.  They are sending me shipping info to send it in for repair.  They are going to put an oversized bushing in it.  I asked if they use loctite on the bushing.  He said yes, a dab of red loctite.  I did not find any loctite on the bushing or frame threading.  I'm thinking this was the reason the bushing unscrewed.  60 day estimated repair and return time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Chances are the bushing is all that is wrecked.  They are a weak link.       Have you tried carefully inserting one of the good ones in that spot?

I would try and fix it myself, and did fix my new colt when I wrecked a bushing.   The trick is having a good bushing tool and not over tightening, then use small O rings under the grip screws.

The Challis bushing tool is pure genius for the job.  I have a bushing driver, but the challis driver is the way.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You could end up waiting a lot longer.  I get letting them fix it, but even if you need an oversized bushing still a pretty easy repair if you are so inclined.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I once purchased a used Springfield 1911, upon inspection I found three over size bushings, I ended up putting in a fourth just for symmetry, sometimes you just have to smile and move on.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Would the oversize bushing devalue the gun at a later date if you wanted to sell or trade it, as the gun would no longer be "factory original" even if the factory did the repairs?  It wouldn't be an as original pistol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I initially sent an email.  Just got off of the phone with Colt customer service.  They are sending me shipping info to send it in for repair.  They are going to put an oversized bushing in it.  I asked if they use loctite on the bushing.  He said yes, a dab of red loctite.  I did not find any loctite on the bushing or frame threading.  I'm thinking this was the reason the bushing unscrewed.  60 day estimated repair and return time.
View Quote

Why not fix it yourself?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not fix it yourself?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I could fix it myself.  My brother has those specialty tools.  I'm not a machinist, so just dont want to further screw it up and then have it cost me a bunch more money to fix.  I had the same question about resale value.  I was hoping colt would just give me a new frame.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be surprised if you got a new frame.  I’ll be more surprised if you get it back in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn3B7wtVYI

Fast easy fix.
Make sure to degrease the threads on the frame and bushing.
Thread the bushing in very carefully while turning the grip screw.
If you ever need to remove the bushing later on, use a pointed tip soldering iron .
Place the tip in the hole in the bushing and let heat for 5 mins, the red loctite will turn to liquid again.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top