Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 5:07:44 PM EDT
I never considered a red dot before (handgun) but I am looking into it.  I dont always carry but when I do, I use a Glock 43.  Hip carry but am going to start appendix carrying.  I have a Glock 19 with a streamlight/laser that is my bedside gun.  I am interested in a Glock 19 MOS and using a Trijicon RMR 2, night sights (all my guns have them), and a Streamlight compact light like a TLR 7 or 8 w laser.  I have a few issues or questions:

- If I have one gun with an rmr, will I get the urge to do it to all my others?  I like to train and have all my stuff setup the same so this conflicts some.

- Would this setup be CCW appropriate if needed?  I wouldnt plan on carrying this daily but if I had to, would it be comfortable?

- Could you appendix carry this?

- Does the rmr print or make it more bulky?

- Is this a smart thing to consider?  I feel like being able to focus on my target vs sights is a huge benefit in a home defense or self defense scenario.

- What sights work with an rmr on a glock?  I read that suppressor sights were needed for height.  Does trijicon make these?

- For those that have went down this path, give me some advice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer: Do it.

To address your specific questions...

Yes, you'll end up putting one on all/most of your pistols. It's a fundamentally and objectively superior sighting system.

Yes, you can carry a pistol with an MRDS. No, it doesn't print all that much (the grip is what you're really working to conceal).

Yes, you can carry AIWB with one.

Yes, suppressor-height irons will fit in the windows of most MRDS setups. Lots of options out there.

It takes some training to get used to, if your presentation isn't consistent you'll spend time fishing for the dot. But once you've cleared that hurdle you'll find it faster and easier to use than any iron sight setup.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short answer: Do it.

To address your specific questions...

Yes, you'll end up putting one on all/most of your pistols. It's a fundamentally and objectively superior sighting system.

Yes, you can carry a pistol with an MRDS. No, it doesn't print all that much (the grip is what you're really working to conceal).

Yes, you can carry AIWB with one.

Yes, suppressor-height irons will fit in the windows of most MRDS setups. Lots of options out there.

It takes some training to get used to, if your presentation isn't consistent you'll spend time fishing for the dot. But once you've cleared that hurdle you'll find it faster and easier to use than any iron sight setup.
View Quote
Extra training on presentation can be done with dry fire practice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I never considered a red dot before (handgun) but I am looking into it.  I dont always carry but when I do, I use a Glock 43.  Hip carry but am going to start appendix carrying.  I have a Glock 19 with a streamlight/laser that is my bedside gun.  I am interested in a Glock 19 MOS and using a Trijicon RMR 2, night sights (all my guns have them), and a Streamlight compact light like a TLR 7 or 8 w laser.  I have a few issues or questions:

- If I have one gun with an rmr, will I get the urge to do it to all my others?  I like to train and have all my stuff setup the same so this conflicts some.  Once you get used to it, you will appreciate the benefits. That being said, the dot will make you a better shooter with iron sights as well.  It will come down to want vs need.  You will want them, but you may not need it on everything.

- Would this setup be CCW appropriate if needed?  I wouldnt plan on carrying this daily but if I had to, would it be comfortable?  I have found that the RMR fits nicely into an otherwise "dead" space.  It does not impact my ability to conceal a gun.

- Could you appendix carry this? I do not believe an RMR would impact your ability to appendix carry

- Does the rmr print or make it more bulky? For me, no.

- Is this a smart thing to consider?  I feel like being able to focus on my target vs sights is a huge benefit in a home defense or self defense scenario. In my opinion, it's a massive benefit- threat focus is more natural- the Sage Dynanics white paper goes over this extensively.

- What sights work with an rmr on a glock?  I read that suppressor sights were needed for height.  Does trijicon make these?  Yes, trijicon does.  I however have found that I much prefer all black sights both front and rear when using an RMR.  I prefer the use of Ameriglo 429 sight set.  If you shop around, they are 40 bucks and work perfectly with MOS Glocks.  I understand your preference for what you are comfortable with.  I once felt the same, and ended up at the same point others initially steered me towards, which is a simple all black sight set.  Try the 429's.

- For those that have went down this path, give me some advice.  Done and done :)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
my Trijicon RMR 2 is constant on, so I don't really need night sights (one of the problems I had with a house pistol was difficulty distinguishing between the front and rear tritium sights without elevating the muzzle)... the G17.3 was machined without a MOS adapter plate and only a thin DPP Titanium battery cover plate, and is low mounted enough  that the original Heinie Slant Pro fixed sights are visible through the lens of the Trijicon... the RMR is mounted in front of the rear sight

I shoot thumb forward but really have to crank my off hand down at a 45 degree angle to get the dot visible.. plan on spending some quality range time... regards
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes you’ll want a dot in all your guns. Yes you can carry AIWB and conceal just fine.

I would suggest trying before you buy. I have had the RMR type 2, SRO and the Holosun. I have an astigmatisms STIs, and the holosun circle dot gives me the most crisp dot by far, it is almost a perfect dot shape for me, the others were a start burst. The RMR has a comparatively small window, it’s practice I could pick up either as fast as irons in a normal position. In awkward positions I find the holosun easier to pick up, due to the larger window and the circle dot, if part of the circle is in the window you don’t have to hunt the dot if your position is off.

It was hard for me to accept, but the foreign made optic was better for my purposes. Check out the sage dynamics reviews of each optic. The RMR and Holosun are both very tough optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top