Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2023 6:29:48 PM EDT
I have not been handgun shopping in years so I figured I would ask those who know the current market.

The criteria for my sister:
She is not into guns but not squeamish either. Normal sized girl with medium hands and fair hand strength.
Wants it for her apartment, maybe occasional purse carry.
9 mm, at least 10 rd capacity
Reliability is key criteria***
Price as listed, willing to look at used guns.
Threat level: Appears fairly low where she lives but she is middle aged and single.  (Won't need a full auto UZI).
Does have a local range so she can rent a few to try out

I lean toward what I know: used glock 19 gen III. She could handle it I am sure.  She was looking at some Ruger offering due to price. I recall Rugers are reliable if not a little ugly.

What do you think based on current market and price restrictions?  Any to avoid based on reliability concerns that might surprise me?

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Give her $100 and she can get a G19 MOS.

Take her to the range.

Then for her birthday get her a MRDS.

Take her to the range.

Best brother ever.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to take her to the range... but we live half a country apart.  She is not much for charity, or I would just send her my G-19 (still might).
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Did she ASK you to get her a gun, or was this YOUR idea?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I just bought one of these - https://aimsurplus.com/products/le-trade-in-sig-sauer-p320-carry-size-9mm-pistol.  Based on the reviews it sounds like most of them are in extremely good shape or unfired.  (Mine arrives at my FFL sometime next week).  I know there's been some chatter on the internet and even a couple of lawsuits claiming these are not safe, but based on what I've read it kind of sounds like bullshit.  And if money is pretty tight I'm not sure you're going to find something nicer for the same money.

Of course, there are a ton of alternatives - from Glock to S&W to CZ.  Depends on what features she's looking for, how it fits in her hand, etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Is she going to actually shoot and carry it or is it going to say thanks and put it in her closet?

Maybe look at the glock 43x. My buddies wife has one and loves it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer above questions:  

This was HER idea. Came out of the blue while speaking with her.  Also her money she will spend (hence the budget)

I dont think she will be a regular shooter. Mostly keep at home in case she needs it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Used Glock 9mm.  She should be able to find one in that price range.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny you should ask.   https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Shield-deal/16-208944/

Seriously.     They are very good.  An incredible value.

If not this, then the Sig365
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
People buying a pistol, chambering a round and putting it in their nightstand "just in case they need it one day" is a recipe for a disaster.
As soon as you take possession of ANY weapon you are accountable for every single bullet that is leaving the barrel.
Let her do at least an NRA Pistol Basic class BEFORE she buys a handgun.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Beretta apx is a good choice imo, excellent grip and in your budget. 10-21rd mags,and there is a rebate currently
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
How’s her hand strength?

A large percentage of females can barely load and safely fire most semiautomatic handguns.

Of the ones who actually can manipulate a defensive handgun, the percentages I would trust to use a handgun lawfully and effectively in a self-defense situation are in the single-digit percentages. Males tend to do a little better, because males tend to have at least been in a real fight of some sort at some point in their life. But the percentage/competence rating for males with no prior firearm experience is not vastly better than females.

Get her some SIGNIFICANT training. Not just some sham half-day “concealed handgun” class.

Otherwise, the mere acquisition of some random “affordable” 9mm will do little to improve her ability to succeed in a bona fide violent encounter.

When my aged sister died, her Ruger Security-Six was eventually found in the back of her walk-in closet. Unloaded. Under a bunch of boxes of unmarked photos of people who were unknown to survivors.

If she won’t train with the handgun, she probably would be better off with a sharp kitchen knife. Seriously, if she fired just one round of 9mm indoors, and without ear pro, what is your assessment of whether she would be an effective combatant with a handgun?

I bought a Smith and Wesson 380 EZ with the idea that my no-hand-strength, and no-fighting-skills wife might at least enjoy shooting it once in a while at paper targets. She says the Security-Six is “too hard.” So we gave up on that. Now the 380 sits there. In the box. It’s a mighty fine gun. But it never will be in a fight in her hands. Surrender is truly the only option. Which makes me sad. But, I’ve purged my delusions. Sometimes the lifting of the weight of unrealistic expectations is a better result than the burden of bearing them.

I did get her this recently. She likes it a lot. That’s about the top of the mountain for her in the realm of weaponry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Shield plus
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#13]
G48 secondhand can be had for $400-$425. Shield Arms S15 and she’s good to go.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-trade-in-sig-sauer-p320-9mm-subcompact-handgun-black

The real answer is to have her shoot a bunch of options and decide what works best for her. Does she want a manual safety?  Is she able to use iron sights, or does a red dot fit the bill? Many women want a small gun, but they mean more felt recoil. Does a full size fit her better?  The good news is, there’s a ton of good options, from striker to revolver.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#17]
for a small amount over your $450 top limit, get a P365
I am totally sold on mine.
Or SCCY CPX-2 for LESS THAN your low end.    Snobs may turn up their noses, but mine has never failed in any way, and I've used it for BUG matches.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real answer is to have her shoot a bunch of options and decide what works best for her. Does she want a manual safety?  Is she able to use iron sights, or does a red dot fit the bill? Many women want a small gun, but they mean more felt recoil. Does a full size fit her better?  The good news is, there's a ton of good options, from striker to revolver.
View Quote
This is true.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Used G19, 43X or 48.

My wife carries a G19.4 in her purse. Her choice. She has many options.

I tried to get her to like the 43X/48, but it didn't take. She could carry any of the small nines as I have most of them. Nope.

She'd likely carry her CZ TSO if didn't tell her that it was a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shield plus
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ll offer up the Ruger security .380. I just picked one up for myself after building a decent stash of .380 for my LCP Max. It is big for a .380 but it feels good in hand and it is also light racking.

I forgot to add I paid $285 at Academy. They matched caveman’s price of $299.99 and then knocked off an additional 5%.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Take her to a rental range. Let her shoot until she finds one she likes best.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Take her to a rental range. Let her shoot until she finds one she likes best.
View Quote

This is really the only answer to consider. She won't practice and become proficient and confident if she doesn't like how it fits her hand and shoots for her.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.   https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Shield-deal/16-208944/

Seriously.     They are very good.  An incredible value.

If not this, then the Sig365
View Quote

I agree. ??

I love my Shield Plus
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Hate to be that guy, but agree with WEG response, but it isn’t just ladies or the nearly untrained. Lots of people get a gun shoot it once, then put it away or even carry it regularly, without adequate training and probably more importantly mindset.
My wife, a lovely lady, is a whole lot tougher than she looks, and can shoot a gun just fine, but I don’t ever see her putting in the reps to be fully competent carrying although it is something I wish she would. I do accept that as reality, that she will never be the girl going to the range with me on a weekly basis. She has a good grasp ( pun intended) on basic non weapons defensive skills and wouldn’t want to be within ten feet of her when she has a knife in her hand.

I fully agree a frank discussion about ownership and responsibility both for safety and to be competent with a gun is critical, and letting HER choose the gun after some test firing. I see far too many people buy a woman a little pistol that is hard to rack ( blow  back 380) or manipulate or shoot well. On the rare occasion my wife does accompany me to the range, her favorite is a 1911 45. The weight soaks up recoil, the controls are easy to manage as is racking the slide ( on a hammer fired gun you can cock the hammer first which greatly reduces racking force.)

Something that can’t be overemphasized the smaller the gun the harder to shoot and manipulate, and people have a bad habit of recommending small light guns for ladies, which is really the opposite of what should be focused on. Especially if off body purse carry will be the norm ( I totally hate the idea but lots of women won’t dress around the gun when worn on body) the bigger gun doesn’t matter concealment wise.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Give her $100 and she can get a G19 MOS.

Take her to the range.

Then for her birthday get her a MRDS.

Take her to the range.

Best brother ever.
View Quote

The last thing I would get a new shooter is an MRDS equipped handgun. They would benefit way more by some range time/training with you or a good instructor.

Look at the SW EZ line, used Glock, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Or SCCY CPX-2 for LESS THAN your low end.    Snobs may turn up their noses, but mine has never failed in any way, and I've used it for BUG matches.

View Quote

I am glad your SCCY has been reliable for you. I have zero first hand experience with one, but I think yours is the only positive thing I have read online about that pistol. There are tons of negative reviews online about them, enough I wouldn't touch one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Something that can’t be overemphasized the smaller the gun the harder to shoot and manipulate, and people have a bad habit of recommending small light guns for ladies, which is really the opposite of what should be focused on.
View Quote

I completely agree. Recommending a P365 or similar micro 9mm to a new or occasional shooter like this is a recipe for that person never using it. Small, snappy pistols can be alarming and uncomfortable to new or anxious shooters and will turn them off from shooting at all in many cases. I have to resist the urge to intervene every time I see a boyfriend or gun counter rep showing a micro pistol to an obviously new female shooter, because I’ve see how that goes enough times. I strongly recommend that someone like the OP’s sister buy the largest pistol they can comfortably manipulate and shoot. With a semi-auto, that often comes down to the size of the grip and the overall weight of the pistol, combined with a slide and recoil spring that they have the hand strength to cycle reliably when loading and clearing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Aimsurplus has some police trade in 320's and M&P's right now.
Palmetto has M&P 9mm surplus for $299 right now.

I would find her something in these two options.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Dagger.  Period.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#32]
PSA Dagger and buy a couple of actual G19 mags.  Use the MagPul mags from PSA as range mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve found a lot of new shooters like the M&P better than Glocks, though both are well liked and good choices. A M&P Compact 9mm would be a good choice. The 1.0 versions are fine and sometimes can be found at very good deals.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’ve found a lot of new shooters like the M&P better than Glocks, though both are well liked and good choices. A M&P Compact 9mm would be a good choice. The 1.0 versions are fine and sometimes can be found at very good deals.
View Quote

I agree but the 2.0 with the "PLUS" flat trigger is a nice gun in that price range.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree but the 2.0 with the "PLUS" flat trigger is a nice gun in that price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall the 2.0 is nicer, though the texture is a bit too aggressive for every woman I’ve let shoot mine. They may need a bit of the roughness taken off with some sandpaper to soften.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#36]
You can find CZ P10C, P10S, and P10Ms all day used and even new in that price range!

P10C

https://gunzonedeals.com/product-category-group/handguns

P10S

https://gunzonedeals.com/product-category-group/handguns

Both are $343.99
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#38]
IwI Masada or canik for that price. If smaller the. Shield M&P
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Used Glock 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#40]
My wife kept a loaded Glock 19 in her home office for past 15+ years.  She shot it occasionally and took a 2 days selfdefense class with it.  She doesn't like the pistol as it's just a tool for her that works and serves her purpose.
Recently she tried my Sig P365 and Taurus GX4 that I acquired.  She didn't care for the Sig as the grip felt too skinny for her and the bottom og the grip pinched her hand but she liked the feel of the Taurus GX4.  She shot it couple times and she said it felt better than the Glock 19.  She proceeds to shoot about 250 rounds in next hour and gets comfortable with it.  She can rapid fire 3-4 rounds and keep them all on a 8" plate from 7 yards.  She like the feel of the grip with the 13 round mag and prefers the Taurus trigger over the Glock.  Now she keeps the Taurus in her office loaded with 13+1 rounds of Federal Punch 9mm 124gr JHP ammo.  
Taurus was $279 and then $50 rebate so it was a very good deal.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The " in the know " crowd is going to balk, but I say Taurus G2c or G3c.  Cost effective, work, accurate, reliable and they have a manual safety for those who like such things. Hint, Non gun people prefer such things.  I've been playing with mine for several months and several hundred rounds and can find nothing wrong with it, and I've tried.  Striker fired pistols without safeties are not for non gun people.  

The gun people here will tell you what they like.  I'm telling you what non gun people prefer and what works for them.

For reference, my wife is not a gun person.  She does know how to shoot and shoots well, that once every year or two when she gets it in her mind to walk back to our range.  I have many Glocks and Sigs.  Her new weapon of preference above all of those, is the Taurus.  She said it was made for her.
View Quote

+87 on Taurus I love my G2C thinking about getting a GX4 just because.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-trade-in-sig-sauer-p320-9mm-subcompact-handgun-black

The real answer is to have her shoot a bunch of options and decide what works best for her. Does she want a manual safety?  Is she able to use iron sights, or does a red dot fit the bill? Many women want a small gun, but they mean more felt recoil. Does a full size fit her better?  The good news is, there’s a ton of good options, from striker to revolver.
View Quote

This. Better a .22 she likes and is willing to practice with than something more powerful/effective that sits collecting dust.
As previously mentioned, the S&W EZ in .380 or 9mm if she has weak hands and/or is recoil-shy.

Another PSA Dagger option w/night sights (if that's important) for $329: PSA Dagger w/Night Sights
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please, for the love of God, don't buy her a SCCY.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#44]
S&W M&P.

Much better grip angle & adjustable inserts to best fit her hand.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People buying a pistol, chambering a round and putting it in their nightstand "just in case they need it one day" is a recipe for a disaster.
As soon as you take possession of ANY weapon you are accountable for every single bullet that is leaving the barrel.
Let her do at least an NRA Pistol Basic class BEFORE she buys a handgun.

View Quote

Well put!
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#46]
G43X
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#47]
How about a CZ P10C. They are very nice and only around $399.00.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have not been handgun shopping in years so I figured I would ask those who know the current market.

The criteria for my sister:
She is not into guns but not squeamish either. Normal sized girl with medium hands and fair hand strength.
Wants it for her apartment, maybe occasional purse carry.
9 mm, at least 10 rd capacity
Reliability is key criteria***
Price as listed, willing to look at used guns.
Threat level: Appears fairly low where she lives but she is middle aged and single.  (Won't need a full auto UZI).
Does have a local range so she can rent a few to try out

I lean toward what I know: used glock 19 gen III. She could handle it I am sure.  She was looking at some Ruger offering due to price. I recall Rugers are reliable if not a little ugly.

What do you think based on current market and price restrictions?  Any to avoid based on reliability concerns that might surprise me?

View Quote

Kahr CT9, 8 round factory mag with aftermarket follower 9 +1

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Ruger Security Nine
Within price range.
15+1
I put 70rds through a friends and didn't see anything to not like.
Doesn't need to be pretty to save your life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Get her lots of training. It took me 1k rounds and lots of private lessons before I felt that I became basically comfortable and competent with a pistol. When I started, I couldn't hit a sheet of paper 10 feet away. Too much shot anticipation. I now consider myself a decently fine shot. Only took me 1800 rounds to be able to keep most of my shots within a 5 inch circle at 15 yards using irons. About to enter the RDS game. Pistols are fun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top