Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 9:02:01 AM EDT
Looking for two 1911 frames with rails. Prefer a black finish with the option of having the the slide catch tube in place but will go with a stainless if thats all there is. Anybody know a good frmae in stock?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Looked at Caspian?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
CDNN had stripped Remington frames with black finish last week.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-1911-fullsize-blk-rail-frame-series-80.html#.XrlUOFlOkwA
View Quote

That's perfect thanks, now hopefully they don't sell out before this afternoon!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one of these Tue. and pick it up today, that was quick. What did you think of the frame? Its for a ramped barrel.

I also got the Remington ramped barrel
https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-1911-r1-45-match-barrel-with-bushing.html?___SID=U#.Xs-lBi2ZPfA

Remington enhanced slide
https://www.cdnnsports.com/slide-1911-enhanced-r1-remington.html?___SID=U#.Xs-l7i2ZPfA

and a grip safety. I'm not a 1911 mechanic but was going to try to assemble one with these parts.  I ordered parts from Wilson Combat, Fusion and Cylinder and Slide, hopefully the hammer, disconnect and sear will drop in. Will need help fitting the thumb safety. The first thing I have to do is bubba a way to stake the plunger tube without the tool. LOL
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I havent had a chance to pick mine up yet
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a pretty good deal, makes me want to build another 1911. Please post some pic/reviews when you are done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had a few hours to tinker with the frame, slide and barrel today. I assume the frame is cast, I can't find any casting lines anywhere and the machining is good. The finish is thin in a few spots but will be covered by grips and thumb safety. The finish is PVD something and seems good but for the thin spots. The slide went on the frame well, not super tight like high end pistols but not rattle loose either. After a few strokes with my stone on the barrel hood end the barrel dropped right in, it is nice and tight. I put the barrel, bushing and slide on the frame and dropped in a slide stop. It moved in and out of lock up very smoothly, I don't think it is riding the link. The rear of the slide is about 1/16" long of the frame, I'm going to file the barrel lug feet where they meet the slide stop to try to even it up. They grip safety fit well also, the thumb safety is going in the trash. I'm into this so far 600$ and still need sights. The slide is Novak cut so fitting sights should be OK. If it shoots decent I'll be happy with my low end railed 1911. One thing I can't figure out is why ramp the barrel, the other way works well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I havent had a chance to pick mine up yet
View Quote

I can't post photos unfortunately. Most of the parts took some fitting with file and stone, not too bad. The only parts that dropped right in were sear and disconnect LOL Today I worked on a EGW ejector, fit it to the rear slide now I need to cut the nose. I see several different angles in ejector tuning photos. Some are angled so the case hits top of nose first and some the case hits bottom first and some square. Should I start square and go from there? Inside the frame was a mystery to me and learning how the parts interact has been fun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally picked mine up and started test fitting. Doesn't look like its going to require a lot.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bravo!! Looking good, I put some stainless parts on mine just for grins. I finished it yesterday, the hardest part was the plunger tube without a tool. I wound up ordering the tool. I didn't think I would like a railed 1911 but I hung a light on and liken it. The notch on the rail was shallow for my light and had to work on the insert but fits tight now. Off the the range tomorrow to see how it runs. I am a little concerned about the ramped barrel but the lock up is good and it chambers a round easily when I drop slide. Its function checks good, my first time messing with hammer, sear, disconnect and thumb safety. It is series 80 style so that should stop the pistol from going full auto if I made a mistake no?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
After three range trips and 500+ rounds my worries about the ramped barrel were unfounded. It feed everything well, a nice shooter. Slapped a light on and its on my nightstand now. I liked it so much I just ordered another frame, barrel and slide. This one will be chrome plated at Fords, he is pretty close in Florida. Maybe two tone, maybe all chrome. Matte, brushed or polished are choices or a combo of two.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After three range trips and 500+ rounds my worries about the ramped barrel were unfounded. It feed everything well, a nice shooter. Slapped a light on and its on my nightstand now. I liked it so much I just ordered another frame, barrel and slide. This one will be chrome plated at Fords, he is pretty close in Florida. Maybe two tone, maybe all chrome. Matte, brushed or polished are choices or a combo of two.
View Quote

Did you have to do anything for the head space? I don't have any 45 gauges(waiting for them to get here)but it locks up and functions just fine with snap caps ATM.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice pistol you put together there. I don't know a lot about 1911 headspace, when I plunked a round in the barrel the rear of the case was just shy of the end of the hood. It took just a few passes on a stone off the end of the hood for the barrel to drop in the slide. When chambered in battery there is a slight space between breach face and rear of case. I didn't measure it. I am building another now, I think everything fit well with little work because it was all Remington. The hardest thing for me was fitting the sights. The ramped barrels are sold out now at CDNN. When do you get to shoot it, I have really cut back on range time conserve my ammo it these crazy times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top