Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 3:22:42 PM EDT
I picked up this Model 19 a few years back from a local shop's used case and have never seen another like it. There are no shop marking but, it does appear to have had some tasteful mods performed. The frame is marked 19-3. Were any M19's assembled with full under-lug bbl's? It seems like it would have taken a lot of work to modify a 586 barrel.

It looks like it has had:
-Ball bearing lockup added to the crane
-Polished and radiused trigger
-Polished target hammer
-Bead blasted blue
-Custom front sight with white dot
-Significant trigger/spring work
-Newer style thumb piece

I am local to Sandy Garrett's shop and had a few locals tell me the finish resembled a bead blasted blue that he was known to offer. Anyone recognize the work?

Thx

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have anything to add,  but wow.  That's gorgeous.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely a custom job, a keeper for sure.  Gorgeous gun, Smith ought to take a hint and make one like this.

What immediately hit me was how similar the overall look is to my 36-6, it’s little brother?

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea who made that but it is f'ing sexy.

Enjoy your new rig!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't think a 586 barrel would fit on a K frame.  But I see you sort of pointed out where the recess in the lug doesn't quite match up with the frame.  But I guess good enough to work with the ejector rod.....

Very interesting gun.  But yeah, my guess is a custom job.  Personally, my two least favorite things are full underlugs and adjustable sights.  

But I can usually stand one or the other.  Meaning a 581/681 is a cool revolver to me.  And a 19/66 are cool too.    Now that 36 posted above, that's kinda cool cuz it's like a J frame on steroids.

Anyways...  that's all opinion stuff.  It's a very cool revolver OP.  There's not doubt that the longer I lurk the smith and wesson boards and hear, the more you see weird stuff.  Custom stuff.  There's a lot out there.  And sometimes even the factory throws out some weird stuff that isn't standard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't think a 586 barrel would fit on a K frame.  But I see you sort of pointed out where the recess in the lug doesn't quite match up with the frame.  But I guess good enough to work with the ejector rod.....

Very interesting gun.  But yeah, my guess is a custom job.  Personally, my two least favorite things are full underlugs and adjustable sights.  

But I can usually stand one or the other.  Meaning a 581/681 is a cool revolver to me.  And a 19/66 are cool too.    Now that 36 posted above, that's kinda cool cuz it's like a J frame on steroids.

Anyways...  that's all opinion stuff.  It's a very cool revolver OP.  There's not doubt that the longer I lurk the smith and wesson boards and hear, the more you see weird stuff.  Custom stuff.  There's a lot out there.  And sometimes even the factory throws out some weird stuff that isn't standard.
View Quote
You never had the hots for a Smolt?

I always seem to zig when I should zag and never scored a Smolt.  The Python barrel and Smith action are a marriage made in heaven.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't really want to be, but I'm sort of anti colt revolvers.  For a couple of different reasons.  Mainly just not having good luck with the 1 I own.  Plus I feel like they love for the full lugged ones sort of defies good reason.  And no, I don't find them very attractive.  I'm more of a minimalist / military arms enthusiast.

Just give me a nice model 10 of some flavor.  Those are what I like the best.  Simple but effective.   Bread and butter, but reliable and accurate.   And typically made really well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like a 19 with a 586 barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually don't like pachmier grips but those look really good on that! Nice!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a beautiful revolver.

Clean, no frills, subdued. Awesome.

I'd like one just like that with an un-fluted cylinder.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice and unique wheel gun. I'd own it....
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very nice and unique wheel gun. I'd own it....
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't really want to be, but I'm sort of anti colt revolvers.  For a couple of different reasons.  Mainly just not having good luck with the 1 I own.  Plus I feel like they love for the full lugged ones sort of defies good reason.  And no, I don't find them very attractive.  I'm more of a minimalist / military arms enthusiast.

Just give me a nice model 10 of some flavor.  Those are what I like the best.  Simple but effective.   Bread and butter, but reliable and accurate.   And typically made really well.
View Quote
I like the K frame Smith action as I shoot double action 95% of the time.  Smiths simply have the best DA pull and a tuned Smith is a thing of beauty.

I do like the look of Colts, but the stacking double action really cools my jets.  My favorite Colts are Colt New Services.  They are a beast of a revolver.

The little Colt .38 Special Police Positive is a pretty little scaled down thing.  It has a six shot cylinder and with a 4" barrel it really is a nice small package.

I have had a number of Pythons over the years but I just couldn't get warmed up to the DA pull.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree.  My model 19 is about the best DA pull I've ever felt.  It not necessarily the lightest DA pull I've ever felt but it feels like it's....  super duper smooth.   And it's not overly heavy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Despite not being a fan of full lug barrels, that is one fine piece of mechanical art. Would love to be able to meet the man who did the work, whoever he is.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a really nice score.

A number of smiths do the ball bearing lock on yokes. Cake-Davis did the one on my Model 19-based Smolt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
OP,
That’s one fiiiiiiiiiiiine looking revolver!
Is it possible the S&W Custom Shop made it?  I thought Smolts had the usual Colt barrel markings? But I have no idea what they are.
I have a full lug S&W60 3” in stainless, FWIW.

ETA: Massad Ayoob used to have a Lethal Force Institute in Dunbarton, or Concord, NH.  If he’s still around, I bet he could help ID it.  He used tweaked revolvers before he went all semiauto.  I had emailed him in the past & he was always helpful.  Roy Jinks might be another option as the S&W Historian, but I don’t know if he’s still around.

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1945-present/93529-k-frame-revolver-full-underlug-if-not-2.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
On the S&W Forums:

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1945-present/93529-k-frame-revolver-full-underlug-if-not-2.html

It seems the S&W18 was made with a full lug in the early 1990s— barrel swap?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Doubt it's factory, but that's pretty damn sexy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

/....Very interesting gun.  But yeah, my guess is a custom job.  Personally, my two least favorite things are full underlugs and adjustable sights.  

But I can usually stand one or the other.  Meaning a 581/681 is a cool revolver to me.  And a 19/66 are cool too.../
View Quote
I also don't like full under lugs, but I prefer fixed sights, but like yourself will tolerate one or the other, like the Model 13, Model 64, etc, or a 2 1/2" 686 ( I won't go longer than that with an under lug).
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
As the owner of a Smolt I like it. It looks like someone did a nice job.
Top Top