Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2020 6:43:18 PM EDT
Some of you may have seen my post recently about the adjustable rear sight breaking on my Wilson.

Attachment Attached File

Well, I discovered this on the Kensight Bomar adjustable on my Dan Wesson. The leaf is cracked at the pivot pin.

Attachment Attached File

And while installing another Kensight Bomar the elevation detent broke off.

Attachment Attached File

I think I'm done with adjustable rear sights. John Harrison makes a fixed replacement for the standard Bomar, but the Wilson is proprietary so I'll just have to hope it doesn't break again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a set of Millett fixed sights on my primary SA 1911. Combined with a fitted National Match bushing all my reloaded ammo shoots to point of aim. Additionally, most of the 3 or 4 types of factory ammo I shoot also hit point of aim. I'm not shooting Bullseye at 50 yards so there's that. As pistols are primarily defensive tools I really don't see the need for adj sites, aside from getting POI and POA to match up with the ammo that shoots most accurately in your gun. Once I find the most accurate and reliable ammo for a given gun, I load up on lots of that exact ammo for a long term supply. This way I am comfortable knowing that if I REALLY need that gun for its intended purpose, I can count on it to function and hit what I aim at.

Odd that you have had this problem on multiple guns of late. I have guns with factory adj sights and have never had any of these issues, nor have I seen any coming in for repair of broken sights, unless they were dropped or something like that. Could be that gun makers are using MIM or other inferior metals in a cost cutting move.  Keep us posted, I'm interested to see what develops in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen the need on an auto pistol but I don't shoot bullseye at Camp Perry etc.

Revolvers certainly but not pistols.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have adjustables on my classic two tones.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The only 1911 I have with adjustable sights is my GCNM, with the Elaison adjustable rear sight I had a roll pin that wanted to explore the world, it kept walking out.

Finally I fixed that for good with a larger diameter pin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one on my R1. Debating on replacing them with tritium pro
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a shit ton of rounds through my Kimber Target pistol.  It is decades old.  Adjustable sight is rock solid.

BBQ gun sights be like they do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the last time I had a problem with an adjustable was whatever shitty version that Dan Wesson puts on their guns.   A few mags into the session and I noticed the hinge pin was drifting out of place.    The pin was considerably undersized so I ended up replacing it with a better-fitting pin that I staked into place.

My real Bo-Mars and better built clones have never given me a problem, aside from occasionally losing one of the springs when trying to install them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a shit ton of rounds through my Kimber Target pistol.  It is decades old.  Adjustable sight is rock solid.

BBQ gun sights be like they do.
View Quote
Interesting considering that your Kimber's rear sight was likely made by the same entity that makes Bomar clones for everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the last time I had a problem with an adjustable was whatever shitty version that Dan Wesson puts on their guns.   A few mags into the session and I noticed the hinge pin was drifting out of place.    The pin was considerably undersized so I ended up replacing it with a better-fitting pin that I staked into place.

My real Bo-Mars and better built clones have never given me a problem, aside from occasionally losing one of the springs when trying to install them.
View Quote
Dan Wesson hinge pins are staked now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I will admit a blued 1911 with adjustable sights can look classy AF (looking at you Gold Cup) but I have never had an issue with a 1911 hitting poa from the factory with fixed sights.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Look nice on a classic build, but yeah, they all fall apart.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
my first 5 or so USPSA .45s had original BMCS low mount Bo Mars... other than one hinge pin break we cured most of the problems with RTV silicone .... adjust your sight to the load of the week,, measure the height... remove the adjustment screw, add a dab of RTV silicone under the sight leaf, replace the sight to about .010" above what you wanted... wait for the silicone to dry, then compress to the desired height... remove the firing pin and spring and clean out the spring tunnel.... most of my .45s went 50,000 before any problems arose...most on the 175 power factor
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
my first 5 or so USPSA .45s had original BMCS low mount Bo Mars... other than one hinge pin break we cured most of the problems with RTV silicone .... adjust your sight to the load of the week,, measure the height... remove the adjustment screw, add a dab of RTV silicone under the sight leaf, replace the sight to about .010" above what you wanted... wait for the silicone to dry, then compress to the desired height... remove the firing pin and spring and clean out the spring tunnel.... most of my .45s went 50,000 before any problems arose...most on the 175 power factor
View Quote
Interesting idea.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.  The adjustable rears I have had break were on non-1911 handguns.   My only adjustable 1911s are a couple baers, and they have been trouble free.  The 4 1/4” Baer has the old MMC adj. rear.   It looks bombproof, close examination makes it look like it should be fragile.  The adjustment screws can’t be any bigger than 4-40.  But it’s been holding steady for close to 30 years and over 20k.

Really, fixed sights are plenty good, on a good gun.

This is three different bullet types/two weights.  20 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
This is that older baer, it is a pretty cool adjustable rear.  Need a better pic.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Sucks you can't get true BoMars anymore.

I used those for decades in comp with never an issue, some had to use drill rod, I never had to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#17]
These are supposed to be heavy duty adjustables.   Doubt they are made anymore though.   The machine work on these is very good, adjustments are positive and repeatable, via a micro size hex key.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Wichita ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top