Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 10:37:29 PM EDT
I picked this up at a gun shop today (it was $850, which maybe was a tad high after noticing the unblued barrel in the car), but still a day to be thankful for.

I’d like to make it more original. Are there any self proclaimed makarov experts that could guide me on what I should change? I think East German grips are like $20, typically black? And I’d be surprised if the barrel is original.

The trigger is fantastic. Better than most 1911s. Attachment Attached File
Not sure if that’s common for a makarov.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful guns.  Like the ole 1911 maybe it's a Mixmaster??
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
East German grips should be easy to source. All of the East German barrels I’ve seen have been blued. Not sure how to tell if it is a German barrel or not. I don’t remember them having proof stamps or anything on them.

That being said, there’s an excellent Facebook Makarov group and one or two of the members there are legitimate encyclopedias on them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#3]
Note that East German grips use a different mounting screw.  Those look like EG grips to me.  EG grips are black and a tad bigger around than the others with no lanyard ring.

It would be odd for the barrel to have been replaced, unless one wanted it in 380.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Eg bbls are pretty easy to find. There is a seller on eBay that sells the press you'd need to swap them. Those Pearce grips are comfy but, bulky.

There are a few varieties of Black EG grips. Two different screw types. Some have a lanyard hole in the back. Germans used an odd arrangement where a knotted cord would be fed into the grip and tied off under a folded metal retainer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I went back to the shop I got it from. The gun is .380, which honestly, since the barrel is already not original I’m kind of happy about.

I’m still going to pick up an East German barrel.

Is there a way I can tell what grip is period correct for my gun? Noting that there’s two. And thank you so much for helping..I’m also joining that Facebook group…
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chemcmndr] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dessert_Eagle:
I went back to the shop I got it from. The gun is .380, which honestly, since the barrel is already not original I’m kind of happy about.

I’m still going to pick up an East German barrel.

Is there a way I can tell what grip is period correct for my gun? Noting that there’s two. And thank you so much for helping..I’m also joining that Facebook group…
View Quote

“PM Makarov Owners’ Group” is what you’ll want to join.

I was wondering if it was a .380 barrel when you said it was in the white. At least it’s the same mag for either caliber. As far as “period correct” I can’t say for sure, but the grips on my 1964 EG don’t have the lanyard hole between the grip screw and the heel.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll need a barrel press kit to remove the barrel if you decide to put an EG 9x18 barrel in it. They dont just swap out like a glock or 1911. You'll also need to drill out a barrel pin hole in the new barrel and a new barrel pin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Those definitely look like Pierce rubber grips to me. I just put a set on my Mak. Take them off and you should see the name on molded on the inside somewhere.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top