Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2018 2:12:29 PM EDT
Getting old guy eyes sucks.  
I had orange nail polish on the blade for years and more recently had a hard time picking up the front sight in a timely manner.
I have been contemplating installing a fiber optic on it for a while, but did not want to change the appearance.  
Finally decided that if I want to be able to use it, change them out.
Had a set of Hogues with bratwurst finger grooves on it, which never worked for me.  I looked around for a set of Pachmyrs, and found a nos camo set.
Wasn't sure if it would look cheezy, but uh, kinda like it now, and it allows a much higher grip.

The rear sight blade to too shallow.  I filed it down, which opened it up, but the needed rear sight elevation is beyond adjustment that I'd like.  Have a new one ordered (.196)
Feel free to let me you hate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No hate from me.....looks good.

Now,if there were only a handful of 19's around I might feel differently.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't look too bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Smith & Wesson's finest revolver. Looks good to me
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
ok with me

I had my 6" 686-4 cut to 5"  and weygand / dawson fiber front sight added

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Ha I can remember stocking those grips at the gun shop I worked at in the eighties.   I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pair in the wild.

I prefer the looks of OEM target grips.  BUT I shoot better with Pachmyrs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of people replace the ramp front sight with a post. I don't guess a FO is much different. The grips don't matter, because they can be swapped. Do you have the ability to swap your own rear blade?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm OK with that - now if it was a 2.5"
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a 1980's Tactical revolver.

https://media.giphy.com/media/111ebonMs90YLu/200.gif
View Quote
The '80's was my time to shine.
Back then all I had was a 1911a1
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If that is what it needed to keep it serviceable for you I see no problem
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the square butt grips, but that camo is ugly . But hey, you like it and that's what matters. I also like the look of the new front sight on there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Every time i shoot mine, i wish it had a fiber front sight

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a fan of the camo colored grips but as i get older myself I can definitely see the utility in that front sight.  Where did you get it from?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the camo colored grips but as i get older myself I can definitely see the utility in that front sight.  Where did you get it from?
View Quote
Ebay....seller ecop.  Hiviz mfg.  Low 30's shipped.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a fan of the grips, but the FO front sight is all good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Old man eyes suck, as do a lot of S&W sight set ups.  And yes I truly like S&W, but took a clue from Glock's wide spacing on their white outlines.  On latest S&W 625 3 in, I changed the front sight and rear sights to higher versions, and filed out the rear in width and depth.  Huge freaking difference with adequate "space" between the outside edges of front, and inside edges of rear.  Now don't have to tilt my head back for close in and fast shooting, while still being able to concentrate for some longer ranges.

A little bright fingernail polish doesn't hurt either, if you have the outline rear site.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I would like to have a fiber optic front on mine as well
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Old man eyes suck, as do a lot of S&W sight set ups.  And yes I truly like S&W, but took a clue from Glock's wide spacing on their white outlines.  On latest S&W 625 3 in, I changed the front sight and rear sights to higher versions, and filed out the rear in width and depth.  Huge freaking difference with adequate "space" between the outside edges of front, and inside edges of rear.  Now don't have to tilt my head back for close in and fast shooting, while still being able to concentrate for some longer ranges.

A little bright fingernail polish doesn't hurt either, if you have the outline rear site.
View Quote
I filed the original rear blade a bit and I noticed that as well.  I run glocks tool.
One option I looked at, albeit $$, was installing meps, but all I could find were the ones for the front sight insert.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Nothing wrong with that.  I did my no dash 686.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top