Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2019 10:03:17 PM EDT
I have a Ruger Mk III Standard 6" in stainless, model number 10115. I originally picked it up for the missus some years back, but she didn't care for it.

I finally took it out and put several hundred rounds through it with a friend, and really had a great time. This past weekend I ordered a mess of Volquartsen parts and some new Ruger imitation ivory stocks for it.

I got the loaded chamber indicator filler, Mk III Competition Kit, Mk III Extended Mag Release, Mk III Extended Safety, and Recoil Rod and Spring Kit. Pistol looks and feels great. The Competition Kit was a bit of a PITA to install until I figured out the reset screw was in too far and the hammer strut wasn't lined up. Overall not too bad. Headed to the range this weekend to wring it out.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Outer Impact Delta Point mounts and putting an unused Delta Point on the gun.  Has anyone used this mount/optic combo? Any better suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll be very happy with the volquartsen parts.  Such a great trigger.  As far as outer impact, I only have their 10/22 mounts but they are excellent.  I use stormwerx Burris ff3 mounts for my 22/45 lites but I’m sure that combo will also be excellent.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking at the Fastfire/Stormwerkz combo. I think I'm gonna go with that. Will also order the Volquartsen mainspring housing and a Tandemkross hammer bushing so I can get rid of the mag disconnect. Don't think the bolt latch needs to be replaced. Should be able to call this gun done in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at the Fastfire/Stormwerkz combo. I think I'm gonna go with that. Will also order the Volquartsen mainspring housing and a Tandemkross hammer bushing so I can get rid of the mag disconnect. Don't think the bolt latch needs to be replaced. Should be able to call this gun done in a few weeks.
View Quote
Honestly those other parts aren’t needed Imo, but are nice if you want to spend the cash.  The sear, mag disconnect bushing and adjustable trigger are a must and so is the lci delete.  Everything else is just icing on the top.  You’ll love the stormwerx mount an optic combo.  It’s also less expensive than other options.  You’ll be very happy with your mkiii.  I know I am.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put the VQ rod and spring on my bolt and with the +10% spring and bulk pack hv ammo it works great!

I was on the fence about it but had to install the VQ firing pin and extractor anyway due to some issues so figured what the heck.

Red dot barely wiggles when I shoot now.

I'd also recommend the Striplin customs thumb rest/gas pedal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Ran into a sale yesterday. Picked up a Fastfire 3 with the 3 MOA dot for 251 OTD. Stormwerkz mount should be here in the next day or so.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ran into a sale yesterday. Picked up a Fastfire 3 with the 3 MOA dot for 215 OTD. Stormwerkz mount should be here in the next day or so.
View Quote
You’ll be very happy with your pistol!
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ended up replacing the bolt latch anyway. Got the mount and installed the Fastfire tonight. Looks like a 1950s sci fi ray gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Some pics from AAron.

Link Posted: 7/4/2019 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one I installed the Volquartsen trigger. The sear contact surfaces didn't line up correctly.  I called Volquartsen and never did get a call back.

I was able to line them up better with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and polishing with Flitz.  Trigger was a huge improvement
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]
best opinion.

sell it and buy a MKIV.

You will thank me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
best opinion.

sell it and buy a MKIV.

You will thank me.
View Quote
No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
best opinion.

sell it and buy a MKIV.

You will thank me.
View Quote
Why?  The MKIV is for the mechanically challenged who can't figure out to reinstall a MKI, II or III bolt with the hammer strut in the proper position.  From the upgrades OP is performing he's clearly not mechanically challenged, so no reason for the MKIV.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The hammer strut support that VQ sells makes things much easier.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why?  The MKIV is for the mechanically challenged who can't figure out to reinstall a MKI, II or III bolt with the hammer strut in the proper position.  From the upgrades OP is performing he's clearly not mechanically challenged, so no reason for the MKIV.
View Quote
The Majestic Arms speed strip kit also helps.

No idea how well it works with OPs other parts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
best opinion.

sell it and buy a MKIV.

You will thank me.
View Quote
I can field strip and reassemble a MK III in 30 seconds. It astounds me people have problems with it. MK IV was a completely unnecessary "upgrade" in my opinion. Maybe for new shooters that aren't gun savvy it has a place I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can field strip and reassemble a MK III in 30 seconds. It astounds me people have problems with it. MK IV was a completely unnecessary "upgrade" in my opinion. Maybe for new shooters that aren't gun savvy it has a place I suppose.
View Quote
LOL,
It has nothing to do with having the capability to do it or not.

Just about every MK 1,2,and 3 I have seen have some level of scratching/scuffing on and around the take down lever.  Some have been very careful and are not as bad as others. The concept is unsavory, Especially when the MKIV is available.

Also if I'm out walking about shooting up a brick of dirty 22lr ammo and want to run a brush through the bore and Chamber and wipe down the bolt and keep on plinking. The MKIV is the one to have.

Just flip the Safety on, and push the button. It goes back together just as fast.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the previous MK's. Just that the MKIV has worth while improvements.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I don't want a Mk IV. I find them visually unappealing, and my Mk III is done.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This in Spades!!!   F the IV!   No need!   I’ve had a AMT Lightening (look it up) since the Early 80’s and also have a 22/45 Lite mk3 with TK internals.... hold the gun at the correct angle when rotating the back strap/lever in and you are done.   You can feel the correct tension with your eyes closed!!  Not rocket science!!

H
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but I don't want a Mk IV. I find them visually unappealing, and my Mk III is done.
View Quote
You're not the only one IMO, the MKlll is a better built and more attractive pistol than the MKlV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're not the only one IMO, the MKlll is a better built and more attractive pistol than the MKlV.
View Quote
My MKIII 22/45 is a great gun, but for a lefty, the Ambi safety seals the deal and easier disassembly is icing on the cake.
Now that Ruger makes a non threaded barreled MKIV 22/45 LITE version for slaves states like NY, my MKIII is going on the chopping block.

SJC
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Well after looking at it for a couple of days, I decided to work on my MKIII 22/45 short barreled target model and see if I can make it work good enough for steel challenge.
I added a Volq firing pin and extractor, Hogue wrap around grip, slicked up the mags (TK tutorial video), some clean & polish of the internals, bought a couple of different types of available ammo and hit the range.
It ran 100% with every type of ammo, except the wolf match/target ammo, as was pretty much expected.
The real unexpected result, was with the federal champion bulk ammo.
It grouped the best and I have a lot of it.
Over the winter, I'm going to add the Volq trigger kit with mag disconnect.
While I'd like to get a new MKIV Lite, I'm glad I took the time to bring my MKIII back to life.

SJC
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I’m sure the mk iv is a good pistol that will serve well, the difference in Felt quality compared to my mkii’s is quite noticeable. To be fair I’ve only held them at the local shop.  Field stripping these guns is not rocket science.

Thanks for the info OP. Maybe one day I’ll try a Volquartsen trigger. Gotta say though the stock triggers in my mkii’s are pretty nice.

ETA: I like those imitation ivory’s

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well after looking at it for a couple of days, I decided to work on my MKIII 22/45 short barreled target model and see if I can make it work good enough for steel challenge.
I added a Volq firing pin and extractor, Hogue wrap around grip, slicked up the mags (TK tutorial video), some clean & polish of the internals, bought a couple of different types of available ammo and hit the range.
It ran 100% with every type of ammo, except the wolf match/target ammo, as was pretty much expected.
The real unexpected result, was with the federal champion bulk ammo.
It grouped the best and I have a lot of it.
Over the winter, I'm going to add the Volq trigger kit with mag disconnect.
While I'd like to get a new MKIV Lite, I'm glad I took the time to bring my MKIII back to life.

SJC
View Quote
@Sjcshooter1
Tell me more about the "slicked up mags" video.

ETA; Think I found it.

Ruger Mark III 2245 Magazine Tuning Tips and Tricks | TANDEMKROSS
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#24]
That's the one.
I also bought two new nickle plated magazines and the Extended bases for the six mags I have now.
While it took awhile to do the polishing and rounding of the edges, it was totally worth it the effort and time.
I pretty much gave up on it after it's unreliability and the cost of ammo.
As a result, it was sitting in the safe for years.
I could also live without the trigger job, but after firing one with it installed, it's a must to do now.

SJC
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I put vq mark 2 internal in my mk 3 to bypass the disconnect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top