Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2020 1:27:59 PM EDT

I have been thinking about minimum requirements in a carry gun. What features and needs does a gun have to have have at the most basic to meet your criteria to be considered a candidate as a carry gun? I've thought about it, and for me personally, I've come up with these four, in no particular order:

1. Hold 7 rounds.
2. Chambered in a prominent commercially available self defense cartridge.
3. Reliable.
4. Good availability of holsters, accessories, and parts.

This pretty open ended, and that's a good thing. It puts a lot of options on the table that can then be sorted for an individual based on personal tastes, needs, wants, and abilities.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Caliber beginning with a “4”
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ability to shoot well under pressure and how comfortable is it to shoot. Capacity doesn't really matter to me, I prefer 9mm and up, but occasionally do roll with just a .380.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So a .40 Smith and Breaker

ETA: 9mm Luger, reliable with all ammo, soft loop holsters available, mags readily available, and accurate (which any 9mm handgun from any major manufacturer will be), must hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A meaningfully powerful cartridge, with ten shots, small enough to conceal on MY body, and doesn't bite me as I move around.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm out based on your first criteria.  I often carry a 642/442 with 5 rounds, or a Model 64 or 681 with 6 rounds.

My criteria are:

You can shoot it accurately under pressure.
It is reliable.
It is something you have with you as opposed to sitting at home because it was... too big, too uncomfortable, too heavy, too valuable, too much recoil, or any other reason.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The easiest way to define the requirements would be just to say G19.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Goes bang every time I pull the trigger.  Hits where I point it.  Everything else is gravy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel that good sights & trigger are very important.  

It does you no good to shoot if you don't hit your target(s) when you do shoot.

9mm / .38 special minimum caliber.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The easiest way to define the requirements would be just to say G19.
View Quote

Glock 19 sized pistols are nice for the extra rounds, but the size difference makes concealing them more difficult than a Shield or similar sized pistol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Be a Glock 19
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a 115-round magazine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have a 115-round magazine.
View Quote

So, a HiPoint?  With a 600 round magazine?

Attachment Attached File

Might be a little big to tuck in your pants from the look of it.  Maybe he's holding on to his spare magazine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Hardware is not important software is.  A highly skilled man with a high point is better off than an unskilled man with a Glock 17 and 4 backup mags. So I say whatever is available is except able if you are well trained and have proper mind set. Just saying
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
It needs to be in an effective SD caliber that is inexpensive enough for you to practice with on a regular basis.  Regular basis to me is at least monthly but preferably weekly.  Fancy cartridges are cool until you have to pay for a few thousand rounds per year to train with plus sufficient HP ammo to vet function and fill your carry mags.  Then 9 mike mike all of the sudden looks pretty darn good.

You need to be intimately familiar with its operation via extensive dry fire and range work

It needs to be reliable and you need to have confidence in it.  Im much more likely to carry a gun i like

It needs to be of a size that you can conceal and/or dress around but big enough that you can hit with it at speed.  For me that means nothing smaller than a G43 or SP101-sized guns. Anything smaller and its tough to shoot well and anything much larger and its tough to carry with shorts and a t-shirt.  I know people say they all carry a G19 or larger all the time, and i certainly do in the winter, but in the summer i need something easier to conceal.

If you have the means and the time vet your choice with formal training otherwise train on your own as often as you can.  You will quickly find out if its going to work or not.

Take with a grain of salt

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hardware is not important software is.  A highly skilled man with a high point is better off than an unskilled man with a Glock 17 and 4 backup mags. So I say whatever is available is except able if you are well trained and have proper mind set. Just saying
View Quote

That’s great, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I AM talking about the piece of hardware. What’s the criteria for an acceptable choice? Once that choice is made then you can move on to practice and training and what not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#18]
One that you will carry all the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s great, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I AM talking about the piece of hardware. What’s the criteria for an acceptable choice? Once that choice is made then you can move on to practice and training and what not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me you both are talking about the same thing.

Find a gun you like shooting, and would be willing to carry on you. That's about it. If you need to change how you dress, fine, if not, fine.

If you don't like shooting the gun, you won't practice with it, and likely not carry it because you won't be comfortable with it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

In an adequate caliber with sufficient round count
that you can present quickly and shoot accurately.
These days, for me it's my P365 , even better my
365XL with RDS AIWB...
I generally try to apply Ken Hackathorn' s Wizard Drill
as a standard, although not doable for me on the rare
occasions I pocket carry the 365
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I would add the criteria... perception/possibility of threat due to your job,geographical location of employment, law enforcement or judicial relation

an anecdotal ... a local gun shop was staffed by a young 3 gun shooter of my acquaintance... one visit when he was dealing with customers he asked that if possible could I explain some firearms to potential customers... a very good looking young lady was accompanied by an older gentleman that stood at a slight distance... I asked if I could be of assistance, and that I was not employed by the shop, but may be able to suggest some things... she was looking for a firearm... asking about her perception of threat, I jokingly asked if she worked for Bernie McCabe (local States Attorney) and she said yes...she added that she was prosecuting a couple of MS13 members the following month, and had been offered some firearm training by the Sheriff, but was looking for some ideas....she left with a pencil barrel Colt AR with TA44 amber triangle on order, G19 with night sights , couple of TLR-1s,and 1000 rounds each of 9mm and 5.56 (this was before the G43 size 9mm)
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Holds at least (5) rounds,
Be able to hit a paper plate up to 15 yards point shooting,
9mm/.38  or larger,
Holsters available to suit your mode of carry.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The weapon must be reliable, durable, ergonomic, Of .355 caliber or larger,’of commonly available ammunition  and mainstream enough for adequate spare parts and maintenance knowledge to be available. The weapon should be user serviceable to a reasonable level.

Reliable: I should be able to KNOW the weapon will fire 200 rds of the nastiest lead bullet reloads with no failures without cleaning or lubrication after the start of my shooting string... should cycle smoothly and eject in a consistent pattern

Durable: the weapon should have no platform history of parts failures more frequent than 5k rounds per failure.

Ergonomic: the weapon should be operable by either hand given reasonable accomodation for alternative control operation (mag release by trigger finger vs thumb, ambi - safety available etc)

.380 power floor as a minimum though only acceptable as a pocket gun, belt gun to be 9mm/.38spl power floor preferred. More power acceptable up to .357mag/10mm as top end.  .44mag has too much recoil in suitable carry weapons.

Mainstream: a mass produced design that competent gunsmiths would be familiar with... example; Glock/1911.  Example of unsuitable: Nambu

Those are the basics. Capacity is flexible. 5 rds of .38 in a J-frame is something I can work with. 8 rds of .45 in a 1911 is better but you asked for minimums.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]
1. Reliable, reputable platform
2. Comfortable for the shooter to manipulate and shoot well
3. Concealable for the end-user’s attire with appropriate holster accessories
4. Good sights and/or accurate enough for the end-user’s self-defense applications
5. Appropriate caliber for the concealment requirements*
6. At least 10-15 rounds if that takes an extra magazine, speed loader/strip, learn to reload
6a. Every semi-auto “should” have an extra magazine for FTF/FTE drills
6b. For a compact revolver, a speed loader or speed strip is a good practice and easy to carry
7. A decent sized platform that allows prolonged and frequent training**

*I’ll leave caliber open ended as everyone’s situation is different.  I would caveat that everyone should strive to carry something in the 9mm, .40S&W/.357Sig, .45, 10mm, .38/.357 range, but I also acknowledge situation, concealment attire, and activity may influence choices outside that band of proven calibers.  If I'm rocking a Speedo at the beach and the best I can do is my P32 vice my 9mm or .45, I'll go with what I can realistically conceal.  Those are niche requirements, so I would stick with the more common, "acceptable" calibers for most conditions of concealed carry.  

**Size matters.  Taking a class with a LCP shooting 1000 rounds will be vastly more difficult and painful than a Glock 19, not to mention longer-distance engagements will typically/always favor a compact to service size handgun.  While concealment is a factor, the ability to train frequently is more important IMHO and a slightly larger handgun than most mouse-guns makes that undeniably easier.  While I have and have carried smaller handguns, I think one’s training and focus for their concealment, self-defensive pistol should include ranges from within 1 meter out to 25 meters given the nature of active-assailant threats and TTPs...and that pretty much requires a sub-compact (3-4" revolver) to full size handgun for choices.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Everything is situation dependent My carry guns range from a j-frame with a speedloader to a g19 or g19 rmr with 2-3 mags, hence I’ll focus on the minimums.
At a minimum, a carry gun should have enough ballistics to penetrate your assailant wearing climate appropriate clothing. Your carry gun should be reasonably reliable. Your carry gun should also be suitable for a reasonable threat in whichever setting you are in. Example, if I am going to grab groceries in a nice affluent area..a j-frame would be fine..If I am spending a day in a higher crime area, probably not, a g19 would be much better. I would caveat and say if you need more than a g48 with spare mag everyday then you are really in the shit (wilderness excluded)..
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Reliable

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
6 rounds. I just cant get comfortable with 5 rounds.

Able to shoot fast and accurate.

8" steel at 15 yards from concealment.

12 yards. .357 mag from concealment
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Goes bang every time I pull the trigger.  Hits where I point it.  Everything else is gravy.
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
99% of the time I carry a j frame so apparently 5 rounds of .38 special +P is my answer.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I find some people's minimum caliber requirement to be a bit strange.  While definitely not my first choice, the 5.7x28mm would definitely meet my minimum caliber requirement.

I sometimes carry my LCR, so my minimum capacity must be 5.

Reliability is a must, as is a certain level of accuracy.  Fortunately, both of these qualify.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I own about 5 Glocks. I think they are great pistols. But for carry I need at least a thumb safety or a double action. I need a good retention holster that 100% covers the trigger. I prefer a minimum of 9mm but sometimes it’s just easier to toss a 380 in a pocket. The major of the time I have a p30sk and an lcp2 as a backup. Mostly because my wife doesn’t carry so I could pass it to her if something happens.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#32]
For myself it was very similar in my basic requirements.  I wanted the following attributes in a carry gun.

1) Reliability with all ammo types.  
2) Higher Capacity.  I wanted at least 10 rounds in a common service caliber of 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.
3) Easily available ammo and parts.
4) Easy to carry and conceal in my usual daily attire.  
5) Something that would not bother me if it got scratched or dinged.  I also don't mind some finish wear on it either.  

This brought me to the Glock 26 or Glock 19.  I usually carry the 26 in the warmer months in an Alabama pocket holster and carry a Glock 17 round magazine as a backup.  During the colder months I am usually carrying a Glock 19 OWB with a spare Glock 17 round magazine.  At times if things get really screwy I will carry a Glock 17 and make sure to wear a longer shirt.  But usually its the 19 or 26 that I am out and about with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  

Better to have any gun than no gun at all.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I am 100% content with my G43 / G19 rotation depending on clothing and situation. I would like to get a G48...... but I have a strong feeling the G43 size will still be needed to carry 100% of the time and the G19 is only marginally larger.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I tell myself that Glock 43 is the minimum CCW. However, I usually carry an LCP II.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#36]
9mm or better, sights you can see, a trigger you can manage and no sharp edges.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#37]
1) I can physically carry it on my person
2) It fires when I pull the trigger

I firmly subscribe to the notion that just having a gun at all is by FAR the most important factor.  Therefore, my minimum requirements are it is a functional gun that I can physically employ.

That said, my desired requirements are higher than that.  At least 9mm, EASY to carry and conceal, and points naturally for me.  Big enough to get a good firm grip on.  I have a shield that I like for "just throw it in the pocket while going to get the mail" carry.  I wouldn't want to go much smaller than that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Shield.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 12:58:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Glock 19 sized pistols are nice for the extra rounds, but the size difference makes concealing them more difficult than a Shield or similar sized pistol.
View Quote

Spent all afternoon in a dentist office with no fun stickers everywhere.  Nobody noticed my g19.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Minimum requirement?

Its a working gun, thats loaded, and readily accessible.  

Even a single shot .22lr derringer is more firepower then 95%+ of the country is walking around with.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#41]
1. At least 9mm
2. Slim
3. light
4. So any single stack 9mm.

I carry a Glock 43 with an extra mag. If i had known the 43x was going to come out and be able to use 15 round mags i'd have one those.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#42]
1. Hold 15 Rounds.
2. Chambered 9mm.
3. Undoubtedly reliable with a proven track record.

With modern wonder 9's, the only reason to have a pistol with less than 15 rounds is if you choose to carry a sub compact single stack.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Reliable
2. Reliable
3. Fits the shooter and provides confidence
4. In any common caliber .380 and larger
5. Reliable
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Reliable
10+1 (unless it's a 1911)
9mm or .45
Not small.

I have a Sig 365 that gets carried about 5 times a year, but it's usually a G19, G34, Sig M17, or 1911. I LOATHE small guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Carry the most gun that you WILL carry, not the one you'd like to carry but leave at home cause it's too big and/or heavy.  I've carried a 40 cal since I got out of the army at the end of '93.  Full size duty pistols down to a G27.  Even with the G27 I still had 10+1 (had a +1 pinky extension) and a back up mag from a 23.   If a 7 round 380acp is the most gun you feel you will carry, then use that.  If you are fine carrying a Glock 20 or a 1911 double stack, those are great options too.  Just whatever you pick, carry it everywhere, make it a part of your life & practice with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#46]
1. A gun
2. its reliable
3. be proficient at presenting it and getting a few shots on target (80/20 approach - 1.4 to 2 seconds at 5 yards and under)
4. .22 to .45 - preferably .380 and up.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have been thinking about minimum requirements in a carry gun. What features and needs does a gun have to have have at the most basic to meet your criteria to be considered a candidate as a carry gun? I've thought about it, and for me personally, I've come up with these four, in no particular order:

1. Hold 7 rounds.
2. Chambered in a prominent commercially available self defense cartridge.
3. Reliable.

This pretty open ended, and that's a good thing. It puts a lot of options on the table that can then be sorted for an individual based on personal tastes, needs, wants, and abilities.
View Quote

You just about spot on.
For people buying a first gun or just getting serious I add that you should research the guns you are interested in and make sure they get good reviews and are high quality brands. You'd be surprised how many people come to me talking about buying a jeminez (or other garbage gun) for CCW. It has to be a gun from reputable company with lots of support from holster makers and parts companies. The major guns that fit that requirement are glocks and 1911s. Sure there are other good guns, but those 2 are above the rest.

For caliber and capacity, I'd say 9mm is the absolute minimum and if I'm going that small it's got to hold a shit load of ammo! I carry a Glock g45 with a +6 mag extension, so 23rnds. I also carry a 1911 in 45acp with either a 8 or 10rnd mag. Bigger caliber equals less capacity.

Sure, I've got a LCP (380) and a J frame .38, but those are specialty guns for limited circumstances where I can't carry anything else.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#48]
1.  Rounds: It is a balance between size/easily carriable for me.  Being easily carried makes it more likely to be carried.  I try for 9-10 rounds.  Any carry gun is better then none, but I think 9-12 rounds is ideal, 15 is good but the guns are getting bigger then most people will carry 100% of the time.  

2.  Cartridges: 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 38/357 all show roughly the same ability in studies as a defensive weapon.

3. Reliable: Pretty much all big names commercial pistols are reliable: Glock, S&W, Sig, Ruger, Springfield, CZ, etc.  Try not to get a Taurus, Bersa, etc.  They may be ok, but it is better to find a decent big name maker.  

4: Goes with #3: Any big name maker has adequate holsters, accessories, parts.  Stick with factory or big name parts.  Research holsters and pick decent names.  You can not go wrong with JM Custom, Vedder, ANR, Tier 1, etc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not always super comfortable about the idea of carrying my wife's G42 (she doesn't carry much) rather than something beefier, but it is by far the easiest gun to carry that I've ever CC'd, so it's basically become my designated summer gun until she starts carrying more. I figure that 15 total rounds of .380 can still ruin several peoples' days, and I can and have hit targets out to 50m with it without much effort. Not like I was under any kind of pressure nor would I likely engage at that distance rather than retreat if at all possible, but the knowledge is there. I do however vastly prefer to carry my Shield 9 when it's not super hot, and as soon as it's cold enough for jackets or hoodies the G19 comes out.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Glock 26
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top