Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 3:30:22 PM EDT
Will we ever see surplus/retired M9 pistols? They are being cycled out for that horrible m17.   I was hoping the CMP would get a batch.  The few M17’s the military turned back in is a huge hit I see.  Some pretty stupid numbers on the secondary market.

Be nice to have a surplus M9.......
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Those numbers are gonna get stupider
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just stupid
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya think the 1911's are high. Wait for the M9's. They will sell out also.

I bet they start at $700 for a beater.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya think the 1911's are high. Wait for the M9's. They will sell out also.

I bet they start at $700 for a beater.
View Quote
They haven't surplused one since they started taking delivery in 1985, what makes you think they'll start now? Especially with Clinton's EO in place mandating the destruction of govt firearms starting in the mid-late 90's.

And there's a big difference in 10,000 surplus 1911's and potentially 500,000 M9's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Never happen.  The CMP 1911s required a special act of Congress.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
We might see them one day. Maybe when they run out of 1911s.

What I would really like to see is surplus M16 uppers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
For collecting I would like a military surplus M9. But for shooting I'll stick to current production Beretta's.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For collecting I would like a military surplus M9. But for shooting I'll stick to current production Beretta's.
View Quote
Same here.  Carried an M9 in the Army back in the 90s but even back then it was turning into a beater.  My commercial M9 was bought new and is mine alone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Would love a surplus M9, M9A1, or a few of each depending on price.  Nothing done to these warhorses that a new recoil spring, locking block, and a D spring can’t fix
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Right now, NO.  Maybe however in the future.  How, start hitting up your Congressman and have them attach a bill to the DoD Appropriations Act.  That is how the M1911A1s got added.

CD
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never happen.  The CMP 1911s required a special act of Congress.
View Quote
And on top of that, the M9 is an evil high capacity handgun that only trained professionals should be allowed to own...in the eyes of a politician.

Doubt we see any surplus M9s for a long, long time.  How long did the 1911s gather dust in a warehouse before they decided to sell them?
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And on top of that, the M9 is an evil high capacity handgun that only trained professionals should be allowed to own...in the eyes of a politician.

Doubt we see any surplus M9s for a long, long time.  How long did the 1911s gather dust in a warehouse before they decided to sell them?
View Quote
1911s were sold in the 60s under DCM before it got changed to CMP.  However, political landscape has changed.

CD
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I do not think the M 17 surplus will go much higher guys went crazy , like a had to have it thing . I see the high dollar USMC for sale sometimes for like 5000 people are not buying . and M 17 Comm for like 2500 or more . maybe 10 yr from now .
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I was content getting the 92S surplus, brought my 92 collection to 4, nice round number.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
They'll be so beat to shit that you'll be incredibly disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disagree.  Only ones totally beat up were those issued TPE down range or MPs.  Those will get arsenal rebuilt/finished per SOP on return.  Most units don't use their M9s to that extent.

CD
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
All of the M9's I've ever seen, or were ever issued, were in fine condition.

Of course, they've now had another 11 years to get worn....
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
My understanding is CMP said they didn’t want them. So likely no US surplus but others likely will in time. We will probably send them by the boat load to some other country that’ll turn around and use them against us.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't seen anyone get the new M17 pistol. All I seen are M9s being issued. Matter of fact, I never seen an M9a1 within the military circle.

I think it will be a long while before the M9s are considered true "surplus" pistols.

Also you got the guy on the right putting his magazine in backwards. Imagine the abuse these pistols would take.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The only way to legally get a true military m9 currently, is to purchase one from a retired high ranking military individual who got to keep their m9 upon retirement.  They are rare..

Surplus some day... maybe.  The m9 is still in service, so it may be many years before they are released.  The only current issued military handguns released to the public came from warranty and contract stipulation, not the cmp route, as the older 1911s were done.  M45a1 and m17.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I already have a commercial M9, but I’d love to have a surplus one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Disagree.  Only ones totally beat up were those issued TPE down range or MPs.  Those will get arsenal rebuilt/finished per SOP on return.  Most units don't use their M9s to that extent.

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

I'm sure it varies wildly from unit to unit, but my experience has been different. Consider this M9, which is currently in service with an active duty combat service support unit:

It's been holstered enough to have beveled the front of it's own frame.

At some point in it's life it was clearly dropped on it's hammer, which left the ring slightly deformed.

The lanyard loop is severely egged out.

The rear sight isn't in much better shape. It's been blacked with a sharpie to help a bit but it's shape is slightly odd.

The left grip panel is bowed out and doesn't touch the frame for a solid two inches. The anodizing on the frame is of course in rough shape at it's primary contact points.

The recoil spring is very nearly shorter than the barrel.

As a testament to the Beretta's design this pistol is still quite accurate and pretty reliable. As long as it's cleaned and lubed every few hundred rounds it runs just fine and hits what its aimed at. A new recoil spring would definitely help; the slide very noticeably slows down as the gun gets dirty and it'll start failing to feed, especially if your thumb drags on the slide at all. It also needs a new hammer spring. The double action trigger pull is excellent as a result, but it's had a light primer strike recently and I expect that to get worse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure it varies wildly from unit to unit, but my experience has been different. Consider this M9, which is currently in service with an active duty combat service support unit:

https://i.imgur.com/4jyLwvx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TiqapHb.jpg

At some point in it's life it was clearly dropped on it's hammer, which left the ring slightly deformed.

https://i.imgur.com/8UFdZ5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/88gbhfo.jpg

The rear sight isn't in much better shape. It's been blacked with a sharpie to help a bit but it's shape is slightly odd.

https://i.imgur.com/O7l0omx.jpg

The left grip panel is bowed out and doesn't touch the frame for a solid two inches. The anodizing on the frame is of course in rough shape at it's primary contact points.

https://i.imgur.com/xyhTBY8.jpg

As a testament to the Beretta's design this pistol is still quite accurate and pretty reliable. As long as it's cleaned and lubed every few hundred rounds it runs just fine and hits what its aimed at. A new recoil spring would definitely help; the slide very noticeably slows down as the gun gets dirty and it'll start failing to feed, especially if your thumb drags on the slide at all. It also needs a new hammer spring. The double action trigger pull is excellent as a result, but it's had a light primer strike recently and I expect that to get worse.
View Quote

Agreed that gun has been abused.  Those that signed it out before you would also abuse anything else.  Your leadership is more worried about their OERs or they would have ensured that maintenance repaired that weapon.

CD
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4jyLwvx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TiqapHb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8UFdZ5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/88gbhfo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/O7l0omx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xyhTBY8.jpg

View Quote

Have you thought about replacing these springs on your own?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Agreed that gun has been abused.  Those that signed it out before you would also abuse anything else.  Your leadership is more worried about their OERs or they would have ensured that maintenance repaired that weapon.

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

CD

This pistol has been through LRC several times in the last few years. I suspect none of it's issues have been fixed because none of them are issues that the Army has specifically instructed depot level maintainers to inspect. Honestly none of those issues affect it's function much except for the springs, and to be completely fair the recoil spring was quite a bit longer just a few months ago. My point is that this pistol is pretty representative of M9s in my experience. It's maybe been dropped more than usual, but heavily worn anodizing is pretty common in older pistols and weak recoil springs are inevitable when the standard is "replace it when it's shorter than the barrel".

Quoted:

Have you thought about replacing these springs on your own?

Not really. That wouldn't be terribly practical at the moment and it's still pretty reliable as long as it's clean and lubed. Replacing the hammer spring would be a pain anyway as it's old enough to use a roll pin.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not really. That wouldn't be terribly practical at the moment and it's still pretty reliable as long as it's clean and lubed. Replacing the hammer spring would be a pain anyway as it's old enough to use a roll pin.
View Quote

You can replace the hammer spring without having to remove the roll pin. Pull the hammer, hammer strut, and spring out through the top of the frame and re-install in the opposite order.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can replace the hammer spring without having to remove the roll pin. Pull the hammer, hammer strut, and spring out through the top of the frame and re-install in the opposite order.
View Quote

That sounds like even less fun and doesnt change the fact that I dont have a hammer spring.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Nope.

Clinton made it illegal to sell surplus to the public as anything but scrap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I think that FMS gets first crack at them, and I can see plenty of friendly governments that would love handguns at next to nothing.

I can think of three NATO nations that would love to get their hands on M9s, plus a bunch of African nations, as its better than what they've got.

The armory refurbs that I carried most of last year were in pretty decent shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top