Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 7:53:20 PM EDT
Purchased a lightly used Springfield Mil Spec in the fall for my first 1911. Gun has been a smooth and reliable shooter so far with FMJ and JHP. Wondering if there are some minor upgrades I can do to improve the fee of the gun without impacting the reliability and making it finicky

Trigger is extremely short and it looks like many aftermarket models extend it out a bit and I’d like a more pronounced beaver tail on the grip safety to prevent the hammer bite under quick shooting/imperfect grip
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
- Barrel
- Better sights
- Newer grips (cosmetic)
- Grip safety. WB is great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would leave that one alone, you'll eventually want another 1911. Trust me I know, then you'll already have a "classic".
I want a mill spec classic colt to scratch that itch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Every time someone posts this sort of question I'm going to recommend the same thing- because that's how freaking pleased I am with my purchase.

I bought a Springfield Defender series 1911 (pretty much the same as the OP's, just no plastic box and only one mag) and wasn't thrilled with the trigger.  

I went here and got the 5-piece hammer set.  I had to call actually, because at the time they didn't offer a set with the wide-spur hammer.  I see they do now.

I'd never taken a 1911 down farther than a field strip, and installed the parts easily.  My thumb safety needed some minor dressing to work, but although scary for a first timer, I managed to pull it off without any drama whatsoever.

My Defender 1911 now has one of the best triggers of any of my handguns.  Best money I've ever spent on a gun upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time someone posts this sort of question I'm going to recommend the same thing- because that's how freaking pleased I am with my purchase.

I bought a Springfield Defender series 1911 (pretty much the same as the OP's, just no plastic box and only one mag) and wasn't thrilled with the trigger.  

I went here and got the 5-piece hammer set.  I had to call actually, because at the time they didn't offer a set with the wide-spur hammer.  I see they do now.

I'd never taken a 1911 down farther than a field strip, and installed the parts easily.  My thumb safety needed some minor dressing to work, but although scary for a first timer, I managed to pull it off without any drama whatsoever.

My Defender 1911 now has one of the best triggers of any of my handguns.  Best money I've ever spent on a gun upgrade.
View Quote

Thanks Ill take a look. My main complaint of the trigger is the position, id like a longer trigger to move the front surface a bit fartger forward, if this makes sense. Length of pull on a rifle not sure if its the same verbage for a pistol?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would leave that one alone, you'll eventually want another 1911. Trust me I know, then you'll already have a "classic".
I want a mill spec classic colt to scratch that itch.
View Quote

Ive considered this too

Been watching the EE at some others that are already modified or upgraded away from the mil-spec base
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to change trigger and grip safety, you need to make sure it's fitted to your particular gun as those are firing controls/safety parts that will impact safety / reliability once they are modified.

This is what I did to take care of hammer bit (hammer and grip safety). I didn't change trigger as I am fine with short one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to change trigger and grip safety, you need to make sure it's fitted to your particular gun as those are firing controls/safety parts that will impact safety / reliability once they are modified.

This is what I did to take care of hammer bit (hammer and grip safety). I didn't change trigger as I am fine with short one.
https://i.imgur.com/c3WdMzL.jpg
View Quote

Ok. Thats partly my fear is making the gun less reliable doing the work.

Any resources you all recommend for learning the ins and outs of basic work for a 1911?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Out of stock but there may be a digital copy you can buy
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014291568

http://www.gunbooks.com/
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My first 1911 was springfield mil spec it was excellent shooter and never had an issue with it 100% reliable. I sold it when unfortunately years ago. I wish I had it still.
The other reason I say leave it alone is the sights are not dovetail cut. Which is fine but just fewer options.

You could take all the money you would spend on upgrading the mil spec and put it towards Ronin operator. Alot of gun for the money there in the $750  range
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Purchased a lightly used Springfield Mil Spec in the fall for my first 1911. Gun has been a smooth and reliable shooter so far with FMJ and JHP. Wondering if there are some minor upgrades I can do to improve the fee of the gun without impacting the reliability and making it finicky

Trigger is extremely short and it looks like many aftermarket models extend it out a bit and I’d like a more pronounced beaver tail on the grip safety to prevent the hammer bite under quick shooting/imperfect grip
View Quote

Where in Ohio?
I'm near Columbus and have some parts that will allow you to blend the frame frame to accept a Wilson grip safety.
I don't have pics handy, but I've done quite a bit of work to my MilSpec, and am very happy with the results.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where in Ohio?
I'm near Columbus and have some parts that will allow you to blend the frame frame to accept a Wilson grip safety.
I don't have pics handy, but I've done quite a bit of work to my MilSpec, and am very happy with the results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in Ohio?

Im about 30 mins outside of Cleveland. If you would be able to send some pics of the work you are talking about at some point let me know
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Beavertail.

Standard is uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

This one had several trips to Springfield Custom shop. The only thing left original is the barrel, frame and slide. I had the standard grip safety smoothed out and it is pretty comfortable. I am eventually going to replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
When you have a reliable gun, replacing ANY part can potentially make it less reliable. There is always that chance. Adding features or parts , properly fitted, may not reduce reliability and may enhance handling.
Most everyone who thinks they need a longer trigger usually doesn’t
When properly gripping and shooting a 1911, no part of the trigger finger should contact the side of the pistol beyond the metacarpal joint. There should be day light between the finger and frame when contacting the trigger.

Many many 1911’s have been modified to improve accuracy and handling without affecting reliability
An equal number have been turned into malfunctioning piles of do-do as a result.
Just need it done right, this is not a drop in tinker toy like an AR or glock
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd use the money and buy a nice 1911 that has the features you want or something better for upgrades. That's just what I would do but if I had several milspec types maybe I'd play with one I just think having a classic looking 1911 is a must have for a collection.

If you don't care about that then customize it to your liking I guess it's been done before all these options came out the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Sights fo sho!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd leave it alone, and would look for a gun that is already set up as you want it.

Unless you're wanting to invest heavily, it is more cost effective to just buy one with improved sights, beavertail, front strap checkering, lowered / flared ejection port, improved trigger.  

I'm not a SA fan, but have owned several of their Loaded models and they do have all of the "upgrades" I'd personally recommend (just not the quality of parts or assembly that I desire).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125490/3646664B-9000-495F-8925-B73C1C5181B5_jpe-1793325.JPG
This one had several trips to Springfield Custom shop. The only thing left original is the barrel, frame and slide. I had the standard grip safety smoothed out and it is pretty comfortable. I am eventually going to replace the barrel.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the SACS no longer offers a la carte work.  You buy one of their standard 'custom' pistols and are hopefully satisfied with it.  If not, you have to find another smith to work on it.

For the OP, if I was planning to customize a Springfield 1911, I believe that I would start with either the Ronin or one of the Range Officer or Loaded pistols.  You'd be closer to where you intend to end up, for not a lot more money.  Starting with a Mil-Spec gun will require more modifications ($$) for a beavertail grip safety and sights.  Granted, nearly all guns are overpriced right now, but 1911s seem to be especially so.  I'm seeing Ronins advertised for $1K online, and they seem to be selling for that!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

What thumb safety did you use? Or was it the same factory one that came on the pistol??
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What thumb safety did you use? Or was it the same factory one that came on the pistol??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the one that was on the gun; the factory SA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Clean up the throat angles and polish the surface. Biggest improvement you can make.  

Don't spend a lot of time and money on it unless you bought it as an upgrade mule.  I have done several of them, but have ended up with several unfucked with OEM full featured pistols.  

Even fixing reliability issues on a 1911, I still never trust it fully.  I prefer an OEM type gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top