Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2020 11:38:51 PM EDT
I have a Mark IV tactical coming.  Any cycling problems running a red dot. I assuming no, since its has picatinny rails.
I'll likely remove the rails and have a red dot installed on a plate in place of the rear sight.  I have a Dead Air mask coming also if
that will affect it any too.

I just picked up Taurus TX22 and been reading from multiple users of red dots claiming cycling problems.  Would like a red dot for
one of the .22's.  

TIA

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You should have zero issues with a red dot on that MKIV. Red dots on semi auto .22's add a bit of weight to an already low weight slide to be able to cycle. The MKIV has a bolt inside the tube style receiver. About the only thing you'd have issues with are too long of optic mounting screws, bad ammo, weak ammo like really slow 700-1000fps or feeding issues in the handgun itself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
No issues with a red dot pistol is stupid fun and comes with me every range trip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Due to the design of the Ruger, weight of the dot doesn't matter. Put anything you'd like on there.  

Myself and at least one other member here have a TX22 with red dots and have no real issues to speak of.  I have 1k+ through mine.  You just need to make sure you put a lightweight mount+dot on it so your choices are limited.  Ruger would definitely be the easier route.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
No issues running a dot on my MKIV Tactical.  

My only complaint is that the dot sits a little high.  I’m thinking of ditching the rail and going with a lower red dot mount.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My only complaint is that the dot sits a little high.  I’m thinking of ditching the rail and going with a lower red dot mount.
View Quote

Here's what I intend to get.  Still waiting to receive me Mark IV and Red dots are hard to come by ATM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oiO45pcku4

https://farrow.tech/ruger-mkii-iii-iv-low-profile-red-dot-moun/
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
No red dot but I do like OPs decisions. This little guy dispatches squirrels well without disrupting the neighbors.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
MKIVs with RDS are great. I use a dovetail mount and skip irons altogether. Mad Macs has some nice mounts.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here's what I intend to get.  Still waiting to receive me Mark IV and Red dots are hard to come by ATM.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the mount I’m interested in,
RED DOT MOUNT
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

RED DOT MOUNT
View Quote

That's nice too. Does the require drilling holes or is it using the holes from the picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's nice too. Does the require drilling holes or is it using the holes from the picatinny rail.
View Quote

It uses the existing holes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
love the maddmacs centerbase on mine.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

RED DOT MOUNT
View Quote

That is pretty sweet. That might be what I do to mine next.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
RED DOT MOUNT
View Quote

I've got 2 of them. They're little works of art.

And RD'd on Ruger MKIV's work flawless. Just like an AR with an internal reciprocating bolt.. perfect.

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
What's a good, inexpensive red dot to throw on a Ruger these days?

I had a Burris FastFire III but it was a hunk of crap...I had it on a Glock G34 at first, then moved it to a 22, and it would not hold a zero no matter what I did with it. Every time I put it down and picked it up, turned it off, looked at it wrong, etc...zero moved. Everything was as tight as it could be, including the mount on the MkIII, so I got rid of it...and I'm a little hesitant to spend that much money on another one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with the mad macs rear mount. I absolutely love this gun.

Before and after:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at the SwampFox offerings. I'm using a Liberty on my FNS-9C, and Kingslayer on one of my MKIV's. Either one will work just fine. Battery life on the Liberty/Justice series is much better..
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Look at the SwampFox offerings. I'm using a Liberty on my FNS-9C, and Kingslayer on one of my MKIV's. Either one will work just fine. Battery life on the Liberty/Justice series is much better..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm more looking for something that cost less than the gun But, if the floor is $200...bleh
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm more looking for something that cost less than the gun But, if the floor is $200...bleh
View Quote

I hear ya brother. You can use "WLSISLIFE" coupon code with SwampFox. Should still be valid. I think it was 21% off..

ETA: Yup, still works!
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a Burris FastFire III but it was a hunk of crap...I had it on a Glock G34 at first, then moved it to a 22, and it would not hold a zero no matter what I did with it. Every time I put it down and picked it up, turned it off, looked at it wrong, etc...zero moved. Everything was as tight as it could be, including the mount on the MkIII, so I got rid of it...and I'm a little hesitant to spend that much money on another one.
View Quote

That’s not very common for that dot.  I have like 12 of them and never had an issue not holding zero.  They have an excellent warranty too and should replace it, but it looks like you got rid of it.  The problem with any other cheap red dots, is finding one that has a compatible mounting pattern with either Burris or Trijicon.  A good .22 red dot is the UTG model but it doesn’t match either of those patterns.  Holosun is great too or a vortex venom but those are a little more pricey.  The UTG is around $90 and works great on my sons 10/22s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top