Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2021 1:05:23 AM EDT
Since it's more of a home defense gun than anything and sits in a drawer I've just ignored the rattle but I'm curious if it's fixable now.

When the factory magazines are fully loaded there's a loud rattle whenever you move them.  It's especially loud in mags that are not in the gun.  It literally sounds like there is small rock bouncing around in them.  If I unload them the rattle goes away.  If I take a couple rounds out the rattle isn't nearly as loud.  I assume that others have dealt with it since all my mags for this gun do the same thing but I don't know for sure.  

Are my M&P mags possessed or is this a known issue? Can it be fixed so I can have full mags that don't rattle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Have several M&P .40s & 9mm.

Never heard a peep or sound of any sort

Have you removed the magazine floor plate & cleared - cleaned out the magazine?

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is loud if loaded up, if I only load 13 or 14, no rattle. It's kinda weird.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have several M&P .40s & 9mm.

Never heard a peep or sound of any sort

Have you removed the magazine floor plate & cleared - cleaned out the magazine?

View Quote

Mags are completely clean and cleared.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is loud if loaded up, if I only load 13 or 14, no rattle. It's kinda weird.
View Quote

Yup,  it is definitely weird.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple Glock gen 3/4 mags that have a rattle when loaded.  I took them apart, everything looks good.  Never had a functional issue with them.  I assume when the spring is under tension part of the spring it is poking out and bumping the inside of the mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I have noticed it.
As you say in the gun or in a mag carrier with pressure on the top round it pretty much goes away. I don't worry about since that is the case.

I have about 30 mags for the M&P 40 and only some of them rattle. If it bothers you try different mags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So I did some more research and found that this is a very common complaint with M&P40's.  

I have semi auto handguns from several different manufacturers and yes, some mags have a slight rattle.  None of them come anywhere near the M&P40 rattle though.  It sounds like there's a rock bouncing around in the mag.  From what I've recently read, nobody has figured out a fix for it so it is what it is at this point.  The gun is staying in the drawer so no big deal overall.  It's like having a toaster that barks.  It doesn't affect the toast but it's definitely annoying.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine do it sometimes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top