Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 1:05:23 AM EDT
Since it's more of a home defense gun than anything and sits in a drawer I've just ignored the rattle but I'm curious if it's fixable now.

When the factory magazines are fully loaded there's a loud rattle whenever you move them.  It's especially loud in mags that are not in the gun.  It literally sounds like there is small rock bouncing around in them.  If I unload them the rattle goes away.  If I take a couple rounds out the rattle isn't nearly as loud.  I assume that others have dealt with it since all my mags for this gun do the same thing but I don't know for sure.  

Are my M&P mags possessed or is this a known issue? Can it be fixed so I can have full mags that don't rattle?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Have several M&P .40s & 9mm.

Never heard a peep or sound of any sort

Have you removed the magazine floor plate & cleared - cleaned out the magazine?

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is loud if loaded up, if I only load 13 or 14, no rattle. It's kinda weird.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have several M&P .40s & 9mm.

Never heard a peep or sound of any sort

Have you removed the magazine floor plate & cleared - cleaned out the magazine?

View Quote

Mags are completely clean and cleared.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is loud if loaded up, if I only load 13 or 14, no rattle. It's kinda weird.
View Quote

Yup,  it is definitely weird.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple Glock gen 3/4 mags that have a rattle when loaded.  I took them apart, everything looks good.  Never had a functional issue with them.  I assume when the spring is under tension part of the spring it is poking out and bumping the inside of the mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I have noticed it.
As you say in the gun or in a mag carrier with pressure on the top round it pretty much goes away. I don't worry about since that is the case.

I have about 30 mags for the M&P 40 and only some of them rattle. If it bothers you try different mags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So I did some more research and found that this is a very common complaint with M&P40's.  

I have semi auto handguns from several different manufacturers and yes, some mags have a slight rattle.  None of them come anywhere near the M&P40 rattle though.  It sounds like there's a rock bouncing around in the mag.  From what I've recently read, nobody has figured out a fix for it so it is what it is at this point.  The gun is staying in the drawer so no big deal overall.  It's like having a toaster that barks.  It doesn't affect the toast but it's definitely annoying.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine do it sometimes
Top Top