Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2022 8:21:33 PM EDT
I've been perusing the internets and it seems that there has been some concern about M&Ps being able to fire while out of battery, and this is cited as a possible safety risk concerning the design. I am really at a loss for what to think in regards to this; is it overblown? or is it something that needs to be addressed?

Anyone have any insights?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently had a couple handloaded rounds fail to chamber in a fairly new m&p9. Gun was about 1/8" out of battery. No bang.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of it.
View Quote

Ditto.  Cite your source.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard of it in Glock.  Barely out of battery but still enough for the firing pin to ignite the primer.   Can't remember if anything bad happened.   I think this is mostly internet lore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My m&p have super tight Chambers. Cases have to be just right. My sig on the other hand will eat anything I give it. I've never heard of m&p & problems firing out of battery.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been perusing the internets and it seems that there has been some concern about M&Ps being able to fire while out of battery, and this is cited as a possible safety risk concerning the design. I am really at a loss for what to think in regards to this; is it overblown? or is it something that needs to be addressed?

Anyone have any insights?
View Quote

By internet did you mean  you heard that from a guy that that knew a guy that it happened to and the Sig sales rep told him?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Been shooting M&P's since they first came out.

never heard of it and I shoot with a LOT of other S&W shooters too.

Gun Store Lore or ? ? ?

Counter Guy - "You don't want to buy that S&W - lookie here - You can get a brand new Taurus!!!  Them Smith  & Wesson's will BLOW RIGHT UP in your Hand I tell You!! "

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Arright, arright there were some youtube videos that seemed to highlight the issue, with at least one guy able to reproduce the issue on camera.

Just wanted to hear what the gentlemen scholars of this institution had to say. Also, great responses thus far.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Arright, arright there were some youtube videos that seemed to highlight the issue, with at least one guy able to reproduce the issue on camera.

Just wanted to hear what the gentlemen scholars of this institution had to say. Also, great responses thus far.
View Quote

Well, link to videos? I’d be curious to see what you’re referring to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, link to videos? I’d be curious to see what you’re referring to.
View Quote

probably referring to a Sig
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through my M&P's

they are excellent pistols.

Sounds like BULLSHIT to me.

I guess I could try it with a primed empty case, but for now  . . .

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
That dumb POS Yankee Marshall had a video whining about it.

I have no idea if it’s a real issue.  I feel like Yankee Marshall loves to be a giant drama queen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That dumb POS Yankee Marshall had a video whining about it.

I have no idea if it’s a real issue.  I feel like Yankee Marshall loves to be a giant drama queen.
View Quote

that yankee bitch needs to stay her lane.

I just tried it with my M&P2.0 9mm full size.

racked the slide, then moved it back about 3mm and pulled the trigger.  it moves back, but doesn't release the striker/firing pin.

FAKE NEWS
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I take it you saw that thread on Reddit…or you made the thread on Reddit, quoting the yankee Marshall video. Guys a tard .
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I didn't start any other thread on this topic, but yes I did see the Reddit one. I figured that it was a non-issue, and these responses don't surprise me much.

Just something I wanted to look into. I concur that YM loves to start shit, but he was not my sole source here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it needs to be stated that what is happening in some of the You Tube videos are by manually holding the slide in a very specific location and making minute adjustments the owner can drop the trigger.  I do not know if this is representative of a situation that can happen in real life, during actual fire.

I own 5 M&Ps.  As a total, I have put 10's of thousands of rounds through them.  These range from early 1.0s to very new 2.0s with the flat trigger and optics ready.   I've never had an issue with any M&P that was not related to either ammo or recoil springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top