Posted: 6/15/2021 2:18:51 AM EDT
I heard:

2 parts transmission fluid
1part 10w-30
1 part oil treatment

Anyone try this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
No. I’ve used ordinary mineral oil from the drug store though . It costs less than your concoction.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Home Brew AR Lube & AR Lubrication
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity... why?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. I’ve used ordinary mineral oil from the drug store though . It costs less than your concoction.
View Quote

Actually it wasn't mine. Got it from ehow.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity... why?
View Quote

Cheaper alternative than paying $8 for a bottle of Hoppes when I can go get 5 quarts of 10w-40 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Mobil-1 full synthetic motor oil works great as a lube "as is". Any other full synthetic oil is probably just as good. Very cheap compared to "gun oil". If you change your own oil simply buy it in the five quart containers because it's much cheaper in volume.

If you are cheap and use large quantities of cleaning fluids look up "Ed's Red" homemade solvent......

Mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid mixture. Add acetone to remove plastic from shotgun barrels.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
2 parts diesel motor oil, 1 part ATF.

The recipe came from a guy that was formerly Force Recon with the Marines; he said it was all his unit had used. He was a verified  badass, and wasn't prone to making things up.

After we tried it, it's all our SWAT team used, and we fired about 10k rounds a year per weapon. We got free lube from lots of vendors, but liked the homemade stuff better. It's all I use on my personal weapons now.

The recipe you posted probably works just as well. Make sure you shake it up before use.

Remember, it's cheap and metal loves oil. Don't use it sparingly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
There are so many products on the market specially formulated for just this purpose, why mix your own?

I suggest Brakfree LP ( I think they recently renamed it Full Synthetic)
It doesn't have the cleaner. Is a Hair thicker than their CLP, and stays put pretty well
it was made for Stainless and full auto weapons.

Slip EWL is a very close second.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used 3 parts canola oil to 1 part Dexron ATF.  Just to upset people.

Funny thing is, it works well.  Doesn't gum up even after months, and still flows at temperatures down to -10F.  (I haven't had an opportunity to test it any colder).

No need for high priced snake oil.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mobil-1 full synthetic motor oil works great as a lube "as is". Any other full synthetic oil is probably just as good. Very cheap compared to "gun oil". If you change your own oil simply buy it in the five quart containers because it's much cheaper in volume.

If you are cheap and use large quantities of cleaning fluids look up "Ed's Red" homemade solvent......

Mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid mixture. Add acetone to remove plastic from shotgun barrels.

View Quote

ALL THIS

WHAT HE SAID

Frankly Im in the camp of - people make WAY too much out of what gun lube to use

Ive been at the range when a friend needed oil and no one had any - pull the dipstick on the car a few times and wow it RUNS GREAT.

and somewhere there is a pretty famous "in the gun community" guy saying something like "the AR15 will run as long as its lubed well (wet) and you can lube it with ANYTHING, Ive used everything from Water to Vagisil ...you just have to apply water more often"   Larry Vickers or Pat Rogers ... maybe someone else just cant remember.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"the AR15 will run as long as its lubed well (wet) [snip]
View Quote

Until that "well lubed guns" encounters the fine as flour "sand" in parts of the ME.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're willing to buy an entire 55 gallon drum, the cheapest route is to take your favorite gun oil to your local oil blender and they will analyze and copy it for you.
It will probably end up costing you about $2.50 a quart.

Tony

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Crisco shortening, and olive oil...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top