Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2024 5:24:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
At $34 a mag I’m out. Why would I buy those when I can get ACT mags for $23. https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-armscor-sig-sauer-p250-p320-m17-9mm-17-round-magazine-3209-p-2047.html

I like Magpul but these are a swing and a miss.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK318:
At $34 a mag I’m out. Why would I buy those when I can get ACT mags for $23. https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-armscor-sig-sauer-p250-p320-m17-9mm-17-round-magazine-3209-p-2047.html

View Quote

Why not some P365 17rd mag competition?  Also I scored a bunch of Leo trade in 320 mags from AIM for a great price!
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

They are fishing for a gov contract with these, not appealing to the masses.

Same answer goes for the P365, it’s not a gov issue firearm, so they most likely won’t support it. You see their oddball HK and AUG offerings, only because there was a gov contract somewhere to go for, and the aftermarket consumers got then as an afterthought.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll get a couple to compare to the ACT mags. I’m curious to see what the “street price” is for these. Maybe $30 from some of the online vendors?

Some people have reported issues with the ACT followers sticking after dropping those mags in the dirt. Speculation is that the shorter springs (fewer coils) may be a factor. My ACTs are for range use only, and I’ll continue to use SIG factory mags for carry, but I’ll be interested to see people put the Magpul mags through their paces.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting point during the commercial is that this won’t be their last metal magazine. 2011 mags in the future?

Let’s all just be happy it’s an actual firearm accessory and not a daka purse or tee shirt with molle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't Mec Gar make Sig P320 mags?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
View Quote

They might not be allowed to sell them under their own name by contract.

https://thrumylens.org/featured/sig-sauer-p320-magazines-mecgar-or-check-mate/
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#8]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

They might not be allowed to sell them under their own name by contract.

https://thrumylens.org/featured/sig-sauer-p320-magazines-mecgar-or-check-mate/
View Quote

Yeah they aren’t allowed to sell them under their own name, I called them a few years ago and asked about that. They only make the other Sig mags for retail because they made them before Sig made them an OEM supplier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:

Yeah they aren’t allowed to sell them under their own name, I called them a few years ago and asked about that. They only make the other Sig mags for retail because they made them before Sig made them an OEM supplier.
View Quote

CZ P-10/09/07 mags are the same way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Will buy some when I see them. Really want to see Sig grip frames.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sanlanman:
View Quote

Mec Gar and Checkmate are OEM for the 320
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:01:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#12]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I’ll get a couple to compare to the ACT mags. I’m curious to see what the “street price” is for these. Maybe $30 from some of the online vendors?

Some people have reported issues with the ACT followers sticking after dropping those mags in the dirt. Speculation is that the shorter springs (fewer coils) may be a factor. My ACTs are for range use only, and I’ll continue to use SIG factory mags for carry, but I’ll be interested to see people put the Magpul mags through he  their paces.
View Quote

I’ve never had any such issue and I have around 30 or so I own. The springs are not shorter on mine either. I think you might be thinking of pro mags. As to the springs, you can’t really tell them apart from the Mecgar springs. I’ve worn out plenty of springs from ACT, Mec and CM. The only 320 mags I own that I’ve had any issue with are the CM mags. The springs take a set very easily, the tolerances are inconstant and the followers often have flashing that has not been cleaned up. By comparison the ACT mags are better than the CM mags and the Mec-Gars are gold standard. The pro mags and ets mags aren’t even worth discussing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I’ve never had any such issue and I have around 30 or so I own. The springs are not shorter on mine either. I think you might be thinking of pro mags. As to the springs, you can’t really tell them apart from the Mecgar springs.
View Quote

No, it's the ACT mags. It's come up a couple times here - here's one example from a discussion about the ACT mags two years ago. I don't think it's a huge issue, but the springs are different. I was mistaken in my previous post, the ACT mags are one coil shorter, not two. Here's a comparison of a new ACT mag and a new SIG Mec-Gar. The designs are slightly different also where the springs transition from skinnier, single stack width loops to double stack width, indicated by the red arrows. The SIG Mec-Gar spring transitions closer to the top, which could reduce the risk of binding in the narrow part of the spring.

Attachment Attached File

I have a dozen ACT P320 mags, half of which I use on every range trip (the other half are spares), but I probably only have a 300-400 rounds through each. They work great, I haven't had any problems with them, but I haven't shot outdoors in a long time - haven't had access to a good outdoor range in about 5 years. I can only relay what a few other people have mentioned from using them in outdoor competition. I certainly don't get to shoot enough to wear out magazine springs quickly, but when the time comes, I'll put OEM springs in them if needed.

I buy the SIG Mec-Gars whenever I can, as their manufacturing quality is clearly superior to Checkmate's. I open up the boxes in the store when I can to confirm which ones they are before buying. So far, all the newer P320 magazine with the orange follower and witness holes in the back spine have been Mec-Gars, so that's what I've been buying lately (but that's not the case with P365 XMacro mags).

Attachment Attached File

I'm just interested in trying out the Magpuls to see how they compare. If they offer other sizes (e.g. 15-round Compact mag that ACT doesn't make), they could be a good option.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if ACT changed the mag spring length when they started producing the 15 round blocked 17 round mags. My ACT mags are from 2019 and back then the mag spring length and design was the exact same as my Mecgars. Back then I just used the ACT springs and followers until I wore out the springs. To be fair, mine have been rebuilt a few times now with Grams Engineering follower and 11 coil springs. So my ACT, Mecgar, and CM 320 mags are basically modded with the exception of the mag bodies and floor plates though I have about 20 TTI +6 extensions on some of my mags and a lot of my baseplates have been replaced with Henning/Legion pads. I haven’t purchased any ACT mags since late 2019/early 2020. I never had any problems with them though, I wonder if Armscore cheapened the quality of them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Surely they could have come up with a better name for these

I was hoping for $20 a pop. There are better choices at their price point.

All this sounds harsh I'm sure but I really do like Magpul.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#16]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
View Quote

What are the better choices for the P320, and how do you know they’re better, having not tried the Magpul mags yet? Not being argumentative, just honestly curious, since that’s a pretty definitive statement.

I like the witness holes on the back, and so far, the cheapest I’ve seen the SIG magazines with those is $42 each from Proven Arms. I had to pay $55 each for the 15-round version I posted above, since the only place I’ve found those was at my local base PX (used some coupon cards to bring the price down).
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]

What are the better choices for the P320, and how do you know they’re better, having not tried the Magpul mags yet? Not being argumentative, just honestly curious, since that’s a pretty definitive statement.

I like the witness holes on the back, and so far, the cheapest I’ve seen the SIG magazines with those is $42 each from Proven Arms. I had to pay $55 each for the 15-round version I posted above, since the only place I’ve found those was at my local base PX (used some coupon cards to bring the price down).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I guess that’s the hang up. They are an unknown quantity right now. Magpul didn’t do such a great job with their Glock mags. My hope is these mags perform better. If they do they might be an option vs CM Sig mags but for Mecgar Sig mags there isn’t much of a price difference. I’m sure these mags will still sell. I mean people buy the hell out of the ETS mags and they are known to be absolute trash. Maybe Magpul getting into the P320 game will encourage other companies to join in. PSA and KCI are who I am thinking about when I say that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

The ACT mags posted above are roughly the same price. Not that I know the Magpuls will be worse or not worth the money but that's the catch, I don't know if they will. I should have said there are more well established mags at that price point. Not looking to argue myself.

We wouldn't have any of this shit if Sig wouldn't charge so damn much for their parts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#19]

The ACT mags posted above are roughly the same price. Not that I know the Magpuls will be worse or not worth the money but that's the catch, I don't know if they will. I should have said there are more well established mags at that price point. Not looking to argue myself.

We wouldn't have any of this shit if Sig wouldn't charge so damn much for their parts.
View All Quotes

I just want Sig to drop Checkmate. They are just not consistent, especially at $45-$50 a mag. While expensive, I don’t really mind paying that if the mags are quality like the Mecgars. Paying $45 for a mag and getting subpar results really annoys me. Like the other poster above, I only buy Sig 320 mags at the brick and mortar shop so that I can make sure I am getting Mecgars before buying them. I’m sure for 90% of Sigs customers the CM mags are fine since most people don’t even shoot 1,000 rounds in a year but for people like me who clear a thousand in a week pretty regularly, you really start to see the lack of QC shine through certain products. I’ll buy a few Magpuls to try them out but if they’re anything like their Glock mags, I’m not sure I’m going to buy more. Their QC or lack of QC with their Glock mags is unfortunate. I’ll have some Magpul Glock mags that run great and others that for lack of a better word seem warped or out of spec. They just won’t run right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
ACT mags are $22.95 at Greg Cote LLC, the AMAGs are $34.95 direct from Magpul. No question which I'd choose.

And the visible mag body below bugs the heck out of me.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
No 21 rd mags? Lame.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my 320 factory mags.  Easy to load, easy to seat, haven’t had any problems. I have 6 21s and 1 17. I’m also interested in the intended market for the magpul mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I do like the Magpul floor plates. Sure would be nice if they offered floor plates for the factory mags too. I like the dot matrix marking. I am forever having to reapply my numbers to my mags. On my Gen 3 Pmags that have that dot system I’ve never had the marker come off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By grondike:
ACT mags are $22.95 at Greg Cote LLC, the AMAGs are $34.95 direct from Magpul. No question which I'd choose.

https://magpul.com/media/catalog/product/cache/e13fef1b1bdbc6ff4e91b60eb5d6c99c/m/a/mag1331-sst_magpul_amag_17_sg9_sig_p320_m17_04.jpg
View Quote
These are pretty obviously designed to work with magwells.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
No 21 rd mags? Lame.

View Quote

They (magpul) needs to adapt the mag bodies to their 50 rd drums.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By grondike:

https://magpul.com/media/catalog/product/cache/e13fef1b1bdbc6ff4e91b60eb5d6c99c/m/a/mag1331-sst_magpul_amag_17_sg9_sig_p320_m17_04.jpg
View Quote

Won't be an issue on the X Series
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pocketgecko] [#27]
Mine came in today.  I havent gotten to the range yet but they seem to fit and function well.  No issues in the regular frame, X-frame, or a M1811.  They drop free, insert smoothly, and overall dont have any noticeable issues so far.  They also locked in and worked fine with the Sig factory magwell on my X5.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Military discount isn’t shit on them either. Yeah if I still had a P3 20 there’s no way I would buy these over factory Mec gars unless the price drops another 10 bucks
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Per one of the Shot videos, they alledge incremental advances over OEM mags in spring design, follower design, and metal. They say stainless will last better than coated.

The big takeway for me in the video was that they WILL be making several different capacities in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m good with all but the base plate, and lack of subdued finish.   That base plate doesn’t finish well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:55:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#31]
I’ve ordered a few to try with my B&T GHM9 that uses P320 mags. I am curious to see if the last round BHO functions with the Magpul mags. If it doesn’t it isn’t a big deal I’m just curious of the tolerance spec as it seems the tolerances are all over the place with the factory Sig mags made by Checkmate. Surprisingly B&T recommends Promag 320 mags as they have been consistent in the GHM9/APC9.

https://bt-usa.com/mag-320-analysis/

Something interesting is when ordering the Magpul mags from gun mag warehouse, they have a drop down box for a finish option. I wonder if Magpul is planing on releasing a black finish for their mags.
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/magpul-amag-17-sg9-9mm-17-round-magazine-for-sig-sauer-p320-m17.html?queryID=4b1768075aa118a83418421176281230&objectID=27926&indexName=magento_default_products
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#32]

I wonder if Magpul is planing on releasing a black finish for their mags.
View Quote
Pretty sure they said they were in a SHOT interview.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I always thought them diving into the Glock mags game was stupid (and still do) but at least they came in cheaper but this move is even more bone headed IMO. They are more expensive than ACT mags and they'll never do it better than Mecgar. The only people going to buy these are people who don't know any better and Magpul fanbois.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By airgunner:
I always thought them diving into the Glock mags game was stupid (and still do) but at least they came in cheaper but this move is even more bone headed IMO. They are more expensive than ACT mags and they'll never do it better than Mecgar. The only people going to buy these are people who don't know any better and Magpul fanbois.
View Quote

I wonder if their end goal is a govt contract. The P320 being adopted by multiple militaries and federal governments all over the world means there will be a demand for magazines. I hope this demand also means we will see names like KCI start producing magazines for the P320. KCI typically makes decent mags. The more companies making P320 mags the more the price will continue to drop. I recently ordered some Pro Mag P320 mags. Mostly to try in my B&T PCC. Pro Mag doesn’t have the best reputation but according to the engineers at B&T the Pro Mag P320 mags are good to go. I bought five of their 32 round mags and a couple of their 21 round mags to try out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked one up to test out.  Worked fine in my P320-M18.  No feeding issues, dropped free fine.  Probably pick up more because the price is fine to me.  I can grab MagPul at work, and they're significantly cheaper than Sig branded mags.  Only complaint is the base pad and the lack of darker finish.  I'm hoping MagPul will roll out a M17/M18 style base pad in FDE/MCT that I can swap out the black/flat pads with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#36]
Ya, think maybe after selling a butt load of P-Mags to the military... Magpul just might have produced in anticipation of the possibility of military contracts for the M17/M18, and not for a commercial market which is a rather small market for this magazine!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Ya, think maybe after selling a butt load of P-Mags to the military... Magpul just might have produced in anticipation of the possibility of military contracts for the M17/M18, and not for a commercial market which is a rather small market for this magazine!
View Quote

On the whole, Magpul Pmags sales to the government are a drop in the bucket compared to civilian sales. I literally have hundreds of Pmags and I know I’m not alone in that as back in 2013 people were buying Pmags by the case. Pistol mags are going to be even a smaller number. Currently the military is contracted with Sig to provide magazines and Sig has contracted with Checkmate Ind to produce magazines. Once that contract is up, the military will likely go directly to Checkmate Ind just like they did with the M9, just like they did with the 1911 and just like they did for the M14. The P320 is extremely popular with both LE and civilians. In classes I have been in recently it has been split nearly 50/50 Glock to P320. Magpul realizes this popularity just like they did with the Glock, and CZ Scorpion and has started producing magazines for the P320. They will probably go after some smaller magazine contracts for various militaries but I doubt that is their sole goal. I expect by years end we will see one or two other P320 magazine producers pop up as the magazine design is pretty straight forward for the P320.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Alpha-17:
Picked one up to test out.  Worked fine in my P320-M18.  No feeding issues, dropped free fine.  Probably pick up more because the price is fine to me.  I can grab MagPul at work, and they're significantly cheaper than Sig branded mags.  Only complaint is the base pad and the lack of darker finish.  I'm hoping MagPul will roll out a M17/M18 style base pad in FDE/MCT that I can swap out the black/flat pads with.
View Quote

A black and finish and an MCT Baseplate would make me buy a lot of them. For some reason most of the FDE Sig mags currently being sold are the CM mags which are not as good as the Mec-Gar mags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#39]

A black and finish and an MCT Baseplate would make me buy a lot of them. For some reason most of the FDE Sig mags currently being sold are the CM mags which are not as good as the Mec-Gar mags.
View Quote

Last batch from gunmagwarehouse was mecgar for me
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By tallanm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tallanm:

How long ago did you order? I pretty much only buy P320 mags at actual gun stores so that I can verify that I’m getting Mecgars instead of CM mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#41]

How long ago did you order? I pretty much only buy P320 mags at actual gun stores so that I can verify that I’m getting Mecgars instead of CM mags.
View Quote

2 months ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top