Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 12:26:11 PM EDT
My state offers them, but I am looking into getting one that is from another state that's better for travel and lasts longer. Is there one that I can get through the mail that's semi easy to deal with? I looked at North Dakota but I think they require a written test.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the ones that are worth a damn for coverage are going to require a test and maybe a specific class. Utah and Florida for example. But worth it to have. You're also going to find that many of them require that you already have a permit from your home state if they are offered. Also, there are a number of states that don't honor non resident permits.
Virginia doesn't require a test but you'll need to provide proof of training (and prints for non residents)

Check out www.handgunlaw.us to see who each state covers and what the application entails.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Something to consider is that there are several states that only recognize permits issued to residents. So your only option for those states is to get your home state permit.

Those states are:
CO, FL, NH, SC, MI, ME, and effectively PA. If you anticipate traveling to any of those states, you need your home state permit.

States that readily issue permits to non-residents and that you don't have to travel there to get the permit are effectively limited to three choices:
FL, UT, AZ.
Utah has a quirky provision in their requirements; since MS recognizes Utah's permit, they won't issue to an MS resident unless you have your home state permit. So that leaves you with the choice of AZ or FL.  Idaho's "enhanced" permit is pretty good but you'd have to travel there to take the training and get the permit.

Looking at the maps it looks like Florida permit will get you FL and NM that Arizona won't. FL is kinda expensive but it's also 7 years instead of 5.

What is your rationale for not wanting an MS permit? Has very good recognition, and if you get the MS Enhanced it adds a couple more states as well as better in-state privileges than almost any other non-LE person gets anywhere in the US. Plus you get NICS exemption for firearms transfers in MS.

You say you want a permit that covers more states and lower cost, but MS is already pretty good on coverage.
Arizona is lower cost, but by comparison if you have Arizona by itself vs Mississippi, you would gain NE and DE, and lose CO, MI, SC, PA, NH, ME and FL.

Florida non-resident vs Mississippi resident would be the same other than you'd have Florida.

Interactive map for recognition:
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Handgunlaw.us is the best reference for details:
http://handgunlaw.us/
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the map I found online was outdated. Looks like I will stick with my home permit as my training qualifies me for the enhanced permit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the map I found online was outdated. Looks like I will stick with my home permit as my training qualifies me for the enhanced permit.
View Quote
Yeah, our state has pretty good reciprocity with the regular permit. I think Nevada requires the Enhanced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top