Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2018 6:57:35 PM EDT
I posted this over in the Colt forum and it didn't get much feedback, so I am trying over here now.  I just recently picked up a 1911 M45A1 and I am looking to pick up some maintenance parts to keep on hand so that I have them when I need them. I know that Midway and Brownells are the "stocked replacement parts" places. I am wanting to verify that I am getting the correct parts and also to see if there is anything that I am missing that I should have for a replacement when needed. Here is what I have so far:

Recoil Springs

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-spring-guide-rods/1911-recoil-spring-guide-prod4634.aspx

For a firing pin spring, extractor and the safety plunger assembly is it worth keeping it Colt or just swap to Wilson Combat or something similar when those need to be done?

Is there anything that I am missing that I should keep on hand/get on hand while we can still get parts for these from Colt?

Thank you for all the help, new to 1911's and just wanting to keep what I need on hand to keep it running.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t use any Colt parts personally... Why pay a premium for a soso part when you can buy a whole lot better for same money. There is nothing special about Colt or their parts..
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I was mainly looking to keep the dual recoil spring on it, and with that I believe that I need to use a different recoil spring guide.  Past that I am just trying to figure out the best way to go.  I am new to the platform and looking to learn the ups and downs of different parts and wanted to get anything recommended from Colt while there still was a chance to.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Your not missing out on anything.. All you need to remove the dual recoil assembly is a guide rod. I would buy a Wilson or EGW guide rod then buy a Wolff 16 or 18# recoil spring whichever the dual is equal to. Replacing the dual recoil spring would be the first thing I did to any colt.. trying to find replacement springs is next to impossible and the benefits IMO aren’t there to continue to use it..
As far are spare parts and extractor is always a good thing to have again would buy Wilson Bulletproof or a EGW HD extractor. The rest should just be scheduled spring changes. Recoil, main spring and firingpin springs. You really shouldn’t need anything else on hand unless there are parts you would like to upgrade..
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the dual recoil springs. I installed them in my loaded. You do need a different guide rod. The one Wilson sells with their flat wire recoil spring works and is what I use.

I'll eventually get another guiderod to put the dual springs in my MC Operator.

I also fit new parts with Wilson bullet proof parts or other high quality parts and keep the oem parts as spares.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you already have dual springs get a set or two of the dual springs for replacement. Do not need another spring guide as they almost never break. As an alternative the Wilson flat wire recoil spring uses the same smaller spring guide if you need an alternative to the dual spring. I have been running a 1911 in some fashion for 30+ years and have never broken a part, including using some old World War One era guns. I tend to keep a spare gun or three aroundso if something breaks ( again not happened in 30 years) I can swap to another gun until the other is repaired. I don’t bother keeping spare parts around.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you already have dual springs get a set or two of the dual springs for replacement. Do not need another spring guide as they almost never break. As an alternative the Wilson flat wire recoil spring uses the same smaller spring guide if you need an alternative to the dual spring. I have been running a 1911 in some fashion for 30+ years and have never broken a part, including using some old World War One era guns. I tend to keep a spare gun or three aroundso if something breaks ( again not happened in 30 years) I can swap to another gun until the other is repaired. I don’t bother keeping spare parts around.
View Quote
Thank you for your feedback.  What would you recommend for firing pin springs and also what do you recommend for change intervals for them?  Unfortunately I only have the one right now so parts guns aren't an option for me right now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The general rule is every other time you replace the recoil spring replace the firing pin spring.
Since the dual spring set up is supposed to have a 10k replacement interval, I would just replace both at the same time.
I grew up shooting long before the internet and all this talk of spring replacement intervals. If something worked you ran it. Not saying spring replacement is not a good idea,  but guns generally run fine for a LOT longer than the recommended change guidelines.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome, thats the information that I was looking for.  Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The spring packs are the top of the list. I have a 20+ years old 1911 that wouldn't cycle while shooting and sometimes not strike the primer hard enough to fire. I bought a spring overhaul replacing every spring and now it runs 100%. All the the parts are original to the 1911 and I don't see anything breaking.

It's very unlikely that you'd break any parts on your new 1911. The parts will last a lifetime and then some. Chances are down the road you'll replace the springs so I would get those instead and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd get a spare sear spring or two and an extractor.   I acquired a dual recoil spring setup during a Colt AR15 Armorer class and installed it into my Colt Rail Gun.  It made it a lot more pleasant to shoot.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really like the dual recoil springs. I installed them in my loaded. You do need a different guide rod. The one Wilson sells with their flat wire recoil spring works and is what I use.

I also fit new parts with Wilson bullet proof parts or other high quality parts and keep the oem parts as spares.
View Quote
This. Those dual recoil springs are sweet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd get a spare sear spring or two and an extractor.   I acquired a dual recoil spring setup during a Colt AR15 Armorer class and installed it into my Colt Rail Gun.  It made it a lot more pleasant to shoot.

Dan
View Quote
IMO, my hands hurt less after 5-600 rounds, when using the dual recoil springs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have an M45A1, a 'Blue Box' production model and like the way it handles with the factory dual spring recoil unit.  I have other 1911s (Colts included) that have the 'normal' recoil spring/guide set-ups. I've put somewhere in the high 800s, round-count wise, through the M45A1 and the recoil still feels as smooth as it first did. About half of those were my reloads at the hardball power level.

Yep, I do this too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top