Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2020 2:20:02 AM EDT
Started out decades ago carrying a revolver.  At the time it was  Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special.    Went 1911, S&W 645, and somewhere along the years I converted to the dark side and have been carrying Glocks for at least the last 20 years.     Ordered one of my grail guns tonight.    Looks like I'll be carrying one of these once it and the holster get here.  (But I'm not giving up the Glocks! )

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, why would you ant 15 rounds? Less is more right? Is your husband ok with this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet. I love the little charter bulldog 44 spl. Great little carry gun but I like magnums even more. If you can shot you don’t need 15 rds
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey it was good enough for the Son of Sam.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, why would you ant 15 rounds? Less is more right? Is your husband ok with this?
View Quote
Lots of reasons to want 15 rounds but I've always loved 44 Magnum as a cartridge.  I love shooting one and have several.  Here I give up capacity for energy that's hard to use effectively on two legged varmints. But it's cool and light and makes the recoil junkie in me happy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about your hands bro.  

That thing will not be friendly to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Airlite 44mag is not what I would call "old school".
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot that same gun.  A friends.  The Remington 44 ammo would lock up the gun after a couple shots.  Worked just like my kinetic bullet puller.

Good thing you are a recoil junkie, you got your fix.   IIRC, the remmy ammo was the only one giving us problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Good looking pistol!
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my revolvers, and that one looks nice, but right now, with all the civil unrest going on, I think I would want more than 6 rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
What ever you feel confidant and competent with...

What works for me, may not for you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my revolvers, and that one looks nice, but right now, with all the civil unrest going on, I think I would want more than 6 rounds at a time.
View Quote

There's a point to be made for a cannon.  I guess I could load up some max loads of slow burning powder and light bullets and get a flashbang effect every time I shoot it!   But yeah I know what you mean. I have generally tried to stay in the 10 - 15+ round capacity for a long time.   I'm just comfortable w/ a 44.     I'll give up capacity but gain the ability w/ a speedloader of switching from good expansion to very good penetration.    In this unrest that has it's points too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Well there ya go. Mines been with me 24 hrs/day for several years now. They are so light it's odd at first.

There is no law that says you can't carry 2 guns and that the 2nd gun can't be a mag fed auto
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well there ya go. Mines been with me 24 hrs/day for several years now. They are so light it's odd at first.

There is no law that says you can't carry 2 guns and that the 2nd gun can't be a mag fed auto
View Quote

Conveniently enough I have a Glock 43x that works quite well for that.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry about your hands bro.  

That thing will not be friendly to shoot.
View Quote

That's really going to depend on the loads.    I may decide to work up a warm but not super hot load w/ something like Gold Dots.     I've typically shot cast or XTPs in my 44s most of the time.    I'll see how bad it is.  If it's too bad there are always the X frame grips or work up a load that isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Good luck.

I had a steel frame .44 Mountain Gun.

I never got through the first box of .44 Mag ammo.

Stupid heavy recoil.  As dumb as shooting full house .357 through a M&P340 scandium Airweight.

Dumped the .44.  Kept the 340 for .38+P.

An AirWeight .44 Mag?

¿Un cañón solo para demostrar que tienes grandes bolas pero sin sentido?

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good luck.

Stupid heavy recoil.  As dumb as shooting full house .357 through a M&P340 scandium Airweight.

An AirWeight .44 Mag?

Un can solo para demostrar que tienes grandes bolas pero sin sentido?

View Quote

I've got a Super Blackhawk in 44 and an Anaconda w/ a 4" barrel.  This is just continuing the theme only lighter...  
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good luck.

An AirWeight .44 Mag?

Un can solo para demostrar que tienes grandes bolas pero sin sentido?

View Quote

Some people like guns w/ recoil.   I've got a 458 Win Mag and a 376 Steyr.  This might be a pleasant step away from suppress everything for a while and I'm already setup to reload it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Well,  I got it yesterday.  Already had the holster and some speed loaders.  Ended up carrying it today while driving about 5 hours, eating lunch, and running some errands.  This has to be one of the most comfortable carry guns I've ever had.  It's shaped right and light enough I almost forget it's there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#19]
What holster are you using?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Recoil is a sexual fetish.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What holster are you using?
View Quote

Galco Combat Master
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Recoil is a sexual fetish.
View Quote
Recoil keeps you warm!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sweet. I love the little charter bulldog 44 spl. Great little carry gun but I like magnums even more. If you can shot you don’t need 15 rds
View Quote

Unless there's 5 of them... Better get solid as hell hits that drop in 1 shot each.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Airlite 44mag is not what I would call "old school".
View Quote

I mean, in a world of Glock clones, any sixgun is old school.

But as far as old school, I've used this before

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I mean, in a world of Glock clones, any sixgun is old school.

But as far as old school, I've used this before

https://i.imgur.com/LCXngf5.jpg
View Quote

I did say more old school.  When you've been carrying mostly Glocks for the last decade or more pretty much any revolver is more old school.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I did say more old school.  When you've been carrying mostly Glocks for the last decade or more pretty much any revolver is more old school.  
View Quote

You said you weren't giving up the Glocks, but

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mds412Vm9m1rlzipfo1_1280.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this count?   I can't think of more dark side than just revolvers.   That would be dark.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Does this count?   I can't think of more dark side than just revolvers.   That would be dark.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72296/Aireweightpicture_jpg-1564325.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need a good 1911 too.

I count the dark side as anything too old to mount a light on.

*blahblahblah Gen 1 Glock*
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 1911s.  They're range guns now.   I was big into 45s and 1911s back in the 70s and 80s.   I've moved on.  Still like them, but not as carry guns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a old Charter arms stainless 44 spl 3 in in the old black and gold box, gun is like new , then found two HKS speed loaders in a junk box for 5 bucks each I new what they went to when I saw 5 big holes on them . got a vintage holster also . I never fired this thing yet . but seems like a great carry gun . I think I bought it about 5 yr ago .
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I picked up a old Charter arms stainless 44 spl 3 in in the old black and gold box, gun is like new , then found two HKS speed loaders in a junk box for 5 bucks each I new what they went to when I saw 5 big holes on them . got a vintage holster also . I never fired this thing yet . but seems like a great carry gun . I think I bought it about 5 yr ago .
View Quote

I've got one of the old Charter Arms 44 Special guns.  I bought mine in the early 80s IIRC.   The previous owner had chopped it down to about 2".   It's a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've got one of the old Charter Arms 44 Special guns.  I bought mine in the early 80s IIRC.   The previous owner had chopped it down to about 2".   It's a fun gun to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a three inch stainless.   It's not too bad to shoot.  I'm not saying I run a 100 rounds a range session through it but 44 Special is manageable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've got a three inch stainless.   It's not too bad to shoot.  I'm not saying I run a 100 rounds a range session through it but 44 Special is manageable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot mine quite a bit when I first got it, but it was more 50 round sessions than 100+.    I carried that thing a lot back before KS had concealed carry.   One of the biggest cannons I could carry very discretely.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#37]
My buddy has one of those:

Those six full-power shots got us this:

Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1qNV8orM0

https://live.staticflickr.com/8498/29140657902_56a8d7c348_b.jpg
View Quote

Id be more concerned about those fingernails.

Which grips were on the gun?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

What gun is that??
If it's a 329PD, then those are some incredibly soft hands.
Absorb this, not every human is as tender as that. My then 16 year old daughter shot mine and laughed. No blood.
She doesn't love shooting it but could easily take it from my bloody dead carcass and defend herself with some competance

I have several sets of stocks for it and none are a lot greater than the other.

I've shot a LOT more than 6 rounds at a time, this 329 internet myth just gets stupider and stupider. Any arfcommer within driving range of NW AZ is welcome to put as many rounds as they want thru mine. You bring the ammo, I'll supply the range and the coffee.

If you work in a cubicle and feel the need for a standby ambulance..... that's on you as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What gun is that??
Absorb this, not every human is as tender as that. My then 16 year old daughter shot mine and laughed. No blood.
She doesn't love shooting it but could easily take it from my bloody dead carcass and defend herself with some competance

I've shot a LOT more than 6 rounds at a time, this 329 internet myth just gets stupider and stupider. Any arfcommer within driving range of NW AZ is welcome to put as many rounds as they want thru mine. You bring the ammo, I'll supply the range and the coffee.

If you work in a cubicle and feel the need for a standby ambulance..... that's on you as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun is that??

Those were with the wooden grips.  The seam between the halves is what did it.

It re-dislocated my thumb.  That's more of a me thing than this gun, tendons are not right anymore.  Still hurts when it happens.

I'll shoot his 4" 29 all day.  Just enough more mass that it can't get enough speed backwards that my thumb doesn't pop out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It re-dislocated my thumb.  That's more of a me thing than this gun, tendons are not right anymore.  Still hurts when it happens.

I'll shoot his 4" 29 all day.  Just enough more mass that it can't get enough speed backwards that my thumb doesn't pop out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun is that??

I love the look and feel of those wood grips.  I held it briefly when I got it and switched to the rubber.    Even as a recoil junky I'm not shooting that thing w/ the wood grips, at least not at first.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun is that??

Ok man, not trying to be rude (though I was) to you.
Just tired of the internet 329 stupidity.
I've been called a liar and worse by saying I like mine.
Different streaks for different freaks I guess....
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Started out decades ago carrying a revolver.  At the time it was  Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special.    Went 1911, S&W 645, and somewhere along the years I converted to the dark side and have been carrying Glocks for at least the last 20 years.     Ordered one of my grail guns tonight.    Looks like I'll be carrying one of these once it and the holster get here.  (But I'm not giving up the Glocks! )

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72296/329pd_jpg-1552878.JPG

View Quote

Congrats!

I've been wanting a 329PD for years.  However, every time I'm ready to buy one, something else pops up.  I already have a RRH 5.5 in .44, so the 329PD is more of a want than a need.

I'm still planning on buying one eventually.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I love the look and feel of those wood grips.  I held it briefly when I got it and switched to the rubber.    Even as a recoil junky I'm not shooting that thing w/ the wood grips, at least not at first.
View Quote

I picked one up this summer.  I shot both grips - don't know why they even come with the wood grips.  With the rubber grips, I don't think the recoil is all that bad.  My 2" J-Frame with full power loads is way worse.  It's a great woods gun, especially paired with a Kenai holster for backpacking.  I still have a g20 with the same holster, but the .44 is much lighter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, carry both!
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I picked one up this summer.  I shot both grips - don't know why they even come with the wood grips.  With the rubber grips, I don't think the recoil is all that bad.  My 2" J-Frame with full power loads is way worse.  It's a great woods gun, especially paired with a Kenai holster for backpacking.  I still have a g20 with the same holster, but the .44 is much lighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wood grips look good on it.   How many people really shoot their guns?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wanted to come up with some witty reply, but then I thought, he's right.  Most folks I know don't practice with their "bear gun."  It's more of a fashion accessory.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I wanted to come up with some witty reply, but then I thought, he's right.  Most folks I know don't practice with their "bear gun."  It's more of a fashion accessory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figure it's a case that revolver shooters/buyers are more traditional.  Wood > plastic or rubber.   They want their revolvers to look like revolvers w/ wood and metal.   On the other hand the recoil is relatively stout so once they shoot it rubber feels better.   Get both and those that never shoot it look good while not shooting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I've burned 99.9% thru the tiny "blast shield" on mine using the wood stocks for about 80% of that time.
I don't see a big comfort improvement with Pachmayr Grippers or Hogue Mono's other than the goofy square shelf under the middle finger on the woods, that thing annoys me. It's less pronounced and easier to grind smooth on synthetics since you don't need to refinish.

Grippers feel more "slab sided" to me, good for a long time 1911 shooter, Hogues only a little less so, Hogues with the open backstrap are really nice.... for me.

The gun is very light, it WILL recoil at a high velocity. If that doesn't work for you buy a different gun. The recoil isn't "heavy" in the way 454 Casull and up are, it's just very hi velocity. Once you understand, accept and expect that, it's very good at what it does.

As I've said before, anybody that played high school football or wrestled or played rugby has been hit/impacted upon a the ground or a mat with thousands of times more force that a 329 unleashes. And we did that stuff for fun

They are not for everybody. But they are very good for some people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I figure it's a case that revolver shooters/buyers are more traditional.  Wood > plastic or rubber.   They want their revolvers to look like revolvers w/ wood and metal.   On the other hand the recoil is relatively stout so once they shoot it rubber feels better.   Get both and those that never shoot it look good while not shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tradtioinal, and maybe confident?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top