Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 10:53:31 PM EDT
So one of my uncles died back in mid December and I've been helping my aunt go through his things.  He had a lot of pistols, mostly Star/Llama/Taurus level stuff, but also some actual good guns like these revolvers.  I know pretty much nothing about S&W stuff, so I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some more info and perhaps some rough value estimates on these.  My aunt had someone make an offer for all the rifles and pistols, but the more I go through things the more it seems like a lowball, so I'm trying to get a better idea of what the stuff is actually worth before letting it all go.  I'll try to provide as much info as I can, and hopefully the pictures are good enough to help, but like I said I'm way out of my depth on these.

#1: Pro Series 3 inch 357 Magnum, this is the only one that has the factory box

#2 Old ass 4 inch 22lr

Hard to see, marked 1858

#3 5 inch 357 Magnum

#4 Model 10-5 4 inch 38 Special

#5 Model 27-1 6.5 inch 357 Magnum

#6 Model 36 2 inch 38 Special

I think I got all the barrel lengths correct, and hopefully the markings are legible enough.  I really appreciate any help anyone can give me!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the offer? It had better be reasonably high because your Uncle had good tastes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the offer? It had better be reasonably high because your Uncle had good tastes.
View Quote

Believe me, there's a lot of junk mixed in with the good lol.  There are 50 rifles and 60 pistols so far, with some more in various states of disassembly or mid-project.  The offer was $45k for all pistols and rifles.  Going through today and doing some quick research on just the rifles I'm at around $33k for them.  Hoping to get through pistols tomorrow but there's some obscure/old stuff that might slow me down.  My aunt had been planning on using a couple of their FFL friends to list things on Gunbroker one at a time, but this guy who made the cash offer for everything is buying a bunch of the other weird stuff my uncle had, and its tempting to her.  As I research more the offer looks less and less good, but she kind of just wants the guns gone.  That's why I'm hoping to get some info on these revolvers that I know nothing about, so I can get a better idea of a good price for everything.  The screwed up market right now isnt making it any easier either!

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss of an uncle with good taste.

So for a rough understanding it sounds like he's offering around $400 per gun then?

For the ones you showed above at auction they would go for around $400 to $625 each except for #3 which could go for 1k+.

Without knowing what the other guns are, if there really is a lot of junk mixed in, it may not be too bad of an offer. Yes you may get get an average of $100ish or so more per gun if you sold them separately but considering all the time to photograph/list/ship them all, keep records, paying a commision to your FFL buddies, paying Gunbroker fees, paying shipping etc I would be real tempted to go with one sale.

Plus if you sold them separately, with 110 transactions you are bound to have some sales turn into a PITA somehow. Selling that many firearms separately would take a lot of effort.

And, be aware that S&W revolver buyers in general will ask a lot of questions for every gun (I know, I am one of them). Be prepared to answer questions like how the lockup/timing/push off, are the grips original, and so on over and over again.

If you uncle had that many guns they are probably not poor, your aunt may prefer to go the easier route to get it over with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
So I'm away from home where my S&W Standard Catalog resides. Here's my ballpark thoughts:

The 60 Pro is quite new and not rare. $700 is a good price.

The second gun looks to be a post WWII Kit Gun, but with a replacement barrel, rear sight, and lots of wear. As is, someone looking for a project or who wants a unique shooter might give $500-$600 for it. These are quite rare, but obviously the condition and non-original parts are an issue.

The third gun looks to be a gorgeous S&W .357 Magnum, a pre-27. With a good cleaning, easily a $1500 gun. The 5" barrel is very desirable.

The 10-5 is in nice shape, but is very common. A $450-$500 gun.

The 27-1 is a rare revision. This too is a $1500+ gun.

The 36 is nice but clearly carried some. $600 on a good day, but more like a $550 gun.

The guns that have been fired should be checked out by someone knowledgeable, especially that Kit Gun, to check for end shake and proper timing.

I wouldn't use any of these pictures to sell these guns. I'm trying to be kind, but the guns need a thorough cleaning and much better lighting for the next set of pictures. I included a pic of my own 5" .357 as an example. Highlight the bluing on blued guns!

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I'm away from home where my S&W Standard Catalog resides. Here's my ballpark thoughts:

The second gun looks to be a post WWII Kit Gun, but with a replacement barrel, rear sight, and lots of wear. As is, someone looking for a project or who wants a unique shooter might give $500-$600 for it. These are quite rare, but obviously the condition and non-original parts are an issue.

The third gun looks to be a gorgeous S&W .357 Magnum, a pre-27. With a good cleaning, easily a $1500 gun. The 5" barrel is very desirable.

The 36 is nice but clearly carried some. $600 on a good day, but more like a $550 gun.

The guns that have been fired should be checked out by someone knowledgeable, especially that Kit Gun, to check for end shake and proper timing.

I wouldn't use any of these pictures to sell these guns. I'm trying to be kind, but the guns need a thorough cleaning and much better lighting for the next set of pictures. I included a pic of my own 5" .357 as an example. Highlight the bluing on blued guns!

https://i.imgur.com/hvQgQAu.jpg
View Quote

This is just about where I'm at as well. The pre model 27 and 27-1 are guns that are normally snapped up pretty quickly, and can bring good money. Boxes, papers, grips and tools are important as well and can raise the worth of a gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I would most likely tell him yes if you remove the 2 Mod 27 from the sale. Sell them on your own easily.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks so much for the help everyone.  Unfortunately I haven't found any factory boxes for any of them except the stainless Pro Series, but they may yet turn up.  I wish you guys could understand the amount of stuff we're dealing with here.  It's pretty overwhelming and I've been here since Xmas day working on it.  Just this last Saturday we moved 13 pieces of machinery (lathes, mills, cnc stuff, drill press etc.) out of his attached garage shop.  We've barely even scratched the surface of the other standalone big shop building that's packed to the rafters.  My uncle was definitely a hoarder, but there's some actual valuable stuff, not like people with a house full of old newspapers.  I know the pics aren't the best but I just wanted to get relevant info in them, and obviously he wasn't much into cleaning the guns lol.

Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi cavalier pricing is a bit high in my opinion. I would be more along the lines of $550-600 for the 60 pro, about 1k each for the Nframes, about 350 max for the 10&36.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi cavalier pricing is a bit high in my opinion. I would be more along the lines of $550-600 for the 60 pro, about 1k each for the Nframes, about 350 max for the 10&36.
View Quote

And you'll never be able to buy one unless you own a time machine. Those guns sell for quite a bit more on every forum and auction site Ive been watching for several years
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone low balls estate firearms hoping to grab the entire lot and turn a profit. GunBroker would be your best place to comparison shop. The 5" and 3" .357's will go around $1500. You uncle's revolvers look close to new condition except for the .22 and it looks like a collectors dream come true. The only revolvers that won't bring a lot of money is the new Pro Series, probably $700 +/- and the M36 Chief's Special $600 +/-.

Don't let her sell the good ones for a song and all the S&W's are good ones.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

In 2015, sure. Not now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In 2015, sure. Not now.
View Quote

Model 10's are going for $450 to $550 now for revolvers in excellent condition.

The Chief's Special from $450 to $600.

The 6" M27 is less popular and $800 to $900 would be common. The 5" and the 3.5" sell at a premium in excellent condition.

I have no idea what that .22 would be worth. If you took the time to thoroughly clean it and contacted S&W for a history letter it could be worth a lot depending on the barrel's condition and the lock up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Model 10's are going for $450 to $550 now for revolvers in excellent condition.

The Chief's Special from $450 to $600.

The 6" M27 is less popular and $800 to $900 would be common. The 5" and the 3.5" sell at a premium in excellent condition.

I have no idea what that .22 would be worth. If you took the time to thoroughly clean it and contacted S&W for a history letter it could be worth a lot depending on the barrel's condition and the lock up.
View Quote

Go ahead and find me a 95%+ 27-1 6" for $800. When you do, message me please.

A 27-2 3.5" with box and tools sold for over $2300 on GB recently. The tools and box aren't worth $1500 by themselves. Even 28-2s with carry wear are selling for upwards of $900 right now. I suggest you update your prices.

As a collector, a letter on the Kit Gun wouldn't mean anything to me since the barrel and rear sight have been replaced. Letters only really serve to prove provenance or rarity of factory options. Unless it was shipped to Frank Sinatra or Wayne Newton, it's $100 wasted on this particular gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I would agree with hkcav's prices. Good S&Ws go for insane prices on GB and the prices can change rapidly. That 27-1 is very nice. Would sell for way more than a standard 27-2.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]
For the 10 and 36 I stand by my pricing. Up to recently worn model 10’s like the reimport ones from a couple years ago ( the one in the picture looks about typical wear for an old cop gun) were 250-300 bucks. Model 36’s in similar condition just a tad more. ( all steel snubs are not nearly as popular as the alloy guns) and that one has some wear.
Regarding the N frames, prices in the 1500+ range are almost always associated with guns complete with box and tools ( which does make a massive difference in pricing)
The S serial numbered gun is a beauty and I could see that one going for 1500+ at auction.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a S&W junkie, I concur on all of the values listed above. Some parts of the country may be a little higher or a little lower than the other parts, but those prices are pretty spot-on, IMO.

OP, your uncle had very good taste in S&W's!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top