Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2024 3:09:11 PM EDT
Looking to pick up a new pistol, primarily to complement/replace my Sig 320. This would be my "go to" pistol, on the dresser for "bump in the night", in the Safariland for competitions and taken to the range for plinking. Initially was just looking for a M&P full size (Or 2.0 as thats the current model) or FN509. Went down to the local store to take a look and loa nd behold they had not only both of those but the Competition which I didnt even know S&W made.

After playing with all 3 I'm leaning towards S&W. The standard full size was great, pointed well and felt good in the hand but that trigger was pretty mediocre at best. The FN trigger was the worst of the three, and the competition had the best trigger by far which is expected.

What I'm wondering is, am I better off getting the full size and after market trigger or should I just go right to the competition? The comp series is also a bit lighter as well, but from the little finger fucking I gave them the driving difference seemed to be the trigger more than anything. Safariland offers holsters for both which is a hard requirement, so thats good but also means I have options and thatr means I gotta make a choice.

Curious what peoples thoughts are on the matter. Full size with aftermarket trigger or Comp series? From a practical standpoint do I really gain that much more going with the Comp than the standard full size? I know the trigger is noticeably better but not sure the other differences are really worth it. The $300 or so price difference would more than cover an aftermarket trigger.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot the new competition model, but I can't imagine the benefit being worth the cost.  The OEM triggers are worlds away from an Apex, the "competition" trigger won't be anywhere near the improvement you can get from Apex.

Personally I would get the 5" full size, and an Apex FSS trigger.  Perfect do it all set up.  If you really want to speed things up for competition, add a carver custom tungsten guide rod, 14# recoil spring, floyds magwell, and direct mill for a red dot.  It's absolutely fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
For do it all, I'd get the 4.25" not the 5" but that's just my preference. I've got the 40 CORE and I think it has the comp trigger, it's just okay but I'm not a big fan of it. For me it's too curved, I don't really like the hinge, and it has too much travel before the break. The good is that it has a nice break between 4 or 5 pounds and the reset is short and the overtravel is adjustable. I'd go with 40 over 9 though for competition and self defense as well. The 40 barrels are more accurate than the 9 and the bullets leave nice clean holes in targets.

The new flat face trigger that the new 9's and 10mm has, I like better than the hinge trigger but Apex is better than both. I'm a cheap ass so I probably won't upgrade mine but if I did I'd go with the Apex. Unfortunately the new flat face triggers don't come on any 40 models, but it comes on the 10mm, I don't know why S&W did that?

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For do it all, I'd get the 4.25" not the 5" but that's just my preference. I've got the 40 CORE and I think it has the comp trigger, it's just okay but I'm not a big fan of it. For me it's too curved, I don't really like the hinge, and it has too much travel before the break. The good is that it has a nice break between 4 or 5 pounds and the reset is short and the overtravel is adjustable. I'd go with 40 over 9 though for competition and self defense as well. The 40 barrels are more accurate than the 9 and the bullets leave nice clean holes in targets.

The new flat face trigger that the new 9's and 10mm has, I like better than the hinge trigger but Apex is better than both. I'm a cheap ass so I probably won't upgrade mine but if I did I'd go with the Apex. Unfortunately the new flat face triggers don't come on any 40 models, but it comes on the 10mm, I don't know why S&W did that?

https://i.imgur.com/mOjuSKa.jpg
View Quote

Agree.  4.25 with (maybe) new sights and an APEX trigger makes for a good gun.  I run an RMR on my full size for NODs as well.  It's never failed, none of my M&Ps have.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Metal, maybe a Spec Series would be my next M&P...
WANT...

I don't love this particular comp but there are other options out there.
Attachment Attached File

Swap in Night Fision or Dawson low sights and a Holosun SCS, similar to what i did on my 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Went through a few myself and I really like the 4.5”. Apex parts upgrade and their custom fit barrel made it exceedingly more accurate and smooth. I’ve got the spec series on order after enjoying the metal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I take back what I said about being too cheap to upgrade my trigger. I went shooting this morning and I did shoot nice tight groups under 20 yards, but at 25, 30, and 40 I was all over the place because I'm just not consistent with this competition trigger. The travel is just too much and it's breaks too far back for my liking. By the time the shot fires I'm off target and it's more noticeable the further out I shoot. It bothers me enough to spend the $170 on the Apex to improve it.

One other thing that's kind of annoying is the loaded chamber indicator. It blows powder residue all of the red dot lens. Is there any leads on standard 4.25" non-threaded match barrels in .40 S&W?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
My second handgun ever was a Gen 1 M&P9 after my G19. I haven’t gotten a 2.0 yet but the Gen1 was a full size laser beam. I imagine the gun would’ve been an even better laser beam with a better trigger, which the 2.0 fixed. I would vote full size threaded barrel, light, and red dot, and suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My second handgun ever was a Gen 1 M&P9 after my G19. I haven’t gotten a 2.0 yet but the Gen1 was a full size laser beam. I imagine the gun would’ve been an even better laser beam with a better trigger, which the 2.0 fixed. I would vote full size threaded barrel, light, and red dot, and suppressor.
View Quote

Many early 1.0 9mm guns were the opposite and my example patterned like a shotgun, even with an Apex kit.
S&W replaced the barrel, small improvement.
Fitted a BarSto gunsmith barrel and then it was a laser.

My 2.0s have all been accurate.
I'm with you on the triggers.
I at least polish up the striker block etc, but the FSS trigger can spoil you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The most accurate full size M&P I have is a newly built up 2.0 .40 slide on an older 2.0 9MM frame.

Got the barrel from KKM Precision.  Awesome fit.  Nice groups.  Likes the Winchester 180 grain hollow points.

KKM Precision - https://kkmprecision.com/product-category/mp/  This link is for the 5" .40 but they also do the 4&1/4".  Thread or non-threaded.

Just because - Attachment Attached File

A word about that barrel.  I was told, after installing a file to fit barrel in the FDE 5" 9MM that didn't require any metal removal from the bottom of the barrel lug that my factory frame locking lug must be out of spec.  I never replaced it.  When I got the KKM barrel I tried it in my 2.0 .40 4&1/4" Performance Shop pistol and it wouldn't begin to move all the way to the rear due to contact between the locking lug in that Performance Center pistol's locking lug and the barrel lug.  However, it slid right onto the 2.0 9MM frame with only a small "bump" from contact with the locking lug.  So I put it on the 9MM frame and it worked great.

I'm not saying the KKM barrel was "bad".  I'm saying it was what it's advertised as.  A barrel that requires some fitting.  It just happened that the area it was oversized in was perfect for an M&P locking lug that was too short in height from the start.  Based on recommendations from others on the M&P pistol form and a good friend I bought that barrel and based on it's performance I'll buy another one when I need it for a different project/build.

I have two 2.0 M&P .40's.  That 5" FDE gun and a factory 4&1/4" PC gun.  The PC gun does not match that made up .40 for group size and even though I thought I could live with the PC trigger I find myself noticing the difference every time I have both guns at the range.  Recently I ordered an Apex trigger kit for the PC gun to get it up to the level of my other two 2.0 full sized M&Ps.

One other thing.  I have read that the polymer frames flex more than a metal frame when the pistol is fired.  That is said to somewhat reduce felt recoil.  Can't say it's true, just read it on the internet.

Good luck with your pistol.  An M&P sure does feel good in your hand and with an Apex trigger and good barrel they're tough to beat.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The 2.0 has come in two variations

Older 2.0 had the goofy curved 1/2 & 1/2 trigger similar to the Gen 1.0 M&Ps.

The newer 2.0 have a straight improved trigger with the dingus in the center of the trigger similar to Glock.

I absolutely love my M&Ps as better than any of my Glocks or Sigs.

Being one of the best selling & a long established pistol makes finding holsters easier & gives lots of options

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The 2.0 pistols shoot very nicely and the PLUS models, are even better. S&W did the PLUS trigger right, as the 2.0 pistol trigger was great and was made better with the PLUS. I have a 5" in fde in the 2.0 series and it is an amazing shooter. The texture they put on the frame is perfect and the angle works great. It just feels right in the hand.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 2.0 pistols shoot very nicely and the PLUS models, are even better. S&W did the PLUS trigger right, as the 2.0 pistol trigger was great and was made better with the PLUS. I have a 5" in fde in the 2.0 series and it is an amazing shooter. The texture they put on the frame is perfect and the angle works great. It just feels right in the hand.
View Quote

Now if S&W could just POLISH THE DANG STRIKER BLOCK!
Why they continue to ship them with such garbage finish is beyond me.
Quick polish makes a world of difference in removing grit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
trigger jobs are SO EASY

this is for the ver1.0, but the new 2.0 M&P is very similar....

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

APEX is easy to install and VERY NICE

I'm a big fan of the M&P guns

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, have done several.
I bet if S&W polished their striker blocks Apex would have sold a lot less kits.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep, have done several.
I bet if S&W polished their striker blocks Apex would have sold a lot less kits.
View Quote

yeppa
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I've shot a M&P Pro in 3 gun since the Pros came out. 1 1.0 and 1 2.0. I like the sight radius of a 5".

2.0 is better and has done well for me.

I want a M&P 2.0 Competitor real bad. On my list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top