Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 10:36:53 AM EDT
I know the *go-to* for duty/war belt is Safarilands but I really think they're overpriced. I don't need extra retnetion but am looking for a holster that can be used with traditional belt-loops as well as the QLS system from Safariland for war belt use. Options seem to be limited, Teir-1/T-Rex seem to be the only choice(s) I can find, both are weeks for production for my configuration (Sig 320 Xcarry w/TLR7a.)

What are some other holster manufactures that worth considering?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
QVO tactical makes OWB holsters that are compatible with the Safariland bolt pattern.

You want a Safariland ALS holster though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a red hill tactical 3-gun holster with a qls hole pattern. Safariland is the way to go for retention holsters.  Get on eBay, they go for $60 used all the time
I mounted a tek lok on a QLS plate for when I’m just wearing a pistol without a duty belt
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
@ATLdiver

Take a look at KT-Mech holsters, custom options and a really good holster for not ridiculous prices. They also offer plenty of attachment options. I've got a few holsters from them and have been very pleased.

KT
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@ATLdiver

Take a look at KT-Mech holsters, custom options and a really good holster for not ridiculous prices. They also offer plenty of attachment options. I've got a few holsters from them and have been very pleased.

KT
View Quote

Thanks I will....
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to add another vote for a genuine Safariland, if you want a retention holster. There is a reason that they are one of the top LE handgun holsters. They are somewhat overpriced, but you really do get what you pay for.

Aside from a couple of times when I cheaped out, I have been using Safariland holsters for my entire 30 year LE career. They have never broken or worn out, as long as you take care of them. They just keep going and going, even with minimal maintenance. Things like SLS hood pivot points do occasionally need lubed and any holster, not just Safariland, needs cleaned off and wiped down once in a while to remove dirt.

The couple of times I used anything other than Safariland, it hasn't worked well. Both were Bianchi molded nylon duty holsters. On one, the thumb snap broke off, several times. Each time, I called Bianchi and they sent out another holster. Within a few weeks to months, the snap broke again. I tried this three times, then gave up and went with Safariland. The second time was also a Bianchi nylon holster for a different pistol. This one didn't break the thumb break snap, but within about a year, the nylon outer surface on a couple of the sharp corners was worn to the point that the inner lining was starting to bulge and poke out. Lesson learned, back to Safariland.

Since they wear so well and last so long, don't hesitate to buy a used holster. Just make sure to inspect it very well. As long as it is in good condition and everything works well. it should last you for a long, long time. If it has a suede lining and it is starting to peel away from the bolster body, contact cement and something to clamp the suede to the holster body works well for a quick repair.

A quick tip in the event that you get one with a suede liner. Before even using it, get a spray can of pure silicone lube. Not WD40, not a silicone blend, but 100% pure silicone. Spray the shit out of the suede. Spray it till the silicone is running out the end of the holster. Make sure you absolutely saturate the entire suede liner. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so, then take a rag and wipe out the excess silicone. This will probably involve using a dowel or something to push the rag into the corners. This slicks up the suede liner so that the suede doesn't catch in slide grasping grooves or any other depressions until the suede breaks in to the individual pistol. It also helps with rust resistance of the slide on the pistol to an extent because the suede can't absorb moisture out of the air or if it gets rained on. Safariland used to include instructions on doing this with new holsters, but they don't anymore, at least not in the last couple I have purchased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top