Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2021 2:13:42 PM EDT
Hello,

I am on the verge of getting a Les Baer, but struggling  between what to pick.

I have narrowed it down to Premiere with Hard Chrome at $2575, a Custom Carry for around $2100 and a Concept IV for $2100. For me the feel is identical for all these, but I really like the look of the hard chrome.

All LGS so + taxes...

Help me decide please. I am fundamentally looking for a solid 1911, that has some collectibility potential, but is a good shooter. Am I looking at the wrong 1911 altogether?

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello,

I am on the verge of getting a Les Baer, but struggling  between what to pick.

I have narrowed it down to Premiere with Hard Chrome at $2575, a Custom Carry for around $2100 and a Concept IV for $2100. For me the feel is identical for all these, but I really like the look of the hard chrome.

All LGS so + taxes...

Help me decide please. I am fundamentally looking for a solid 1911, that has some collectibility potential, but is a good shooter. Am I looking at the wrong 1911 altogether?

View Quote
Les Baer are "shooters" 1911......I don't know anyone who likes the hard chrome other than you but what do I know about that..LOL Not a collectible
I have had Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc...I like my Les Baer for a shooter....I think my Nighthawk was the best made....there are many other ones way more expensive than these...If you get a Les Baer then shoot it and enjoy
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Les Baer are "shooters" 1911......I don't know anyone who likes the hard chrome other than you but what do I know about that..LOL Not a collectible
I have had Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc...I like my Les Baer for a shooter....I think my Nighthawk was the best made....there are many other ones way more expensive than these...If you get a Les Baer then shoot it and enjoy
View Quote

I was under the impression that some of the limited releases were desirable from a collectibility standpoint. If I knew better I would not be asking. Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep in mind. Which one out of the three though? Or does it not matter?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never owned a Les Baer pistol, but have had a couple of other pistols that were hard chromed.  The Hard chrome is extremely durable, easy to clean and slick.  I think it's look has gone out of fashion, but durability and a worry free finish really won't go out of fashion.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I had and sold a Premier II and foolishly sold it. I did keep the Thunder Ranch (my favorite) and a stainless Concept IV.  The Concept IV  commander size that shoots amazingly well. I suppose if you are gonna carry it get the carry model, if it's  range gun go for the Premier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
None will be collectible.  I think if you get something other than the hard chrome model, you’ll feel later like you compromised.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Talk to this guy before you buy one locally. https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html he’s pretty chatty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Talk to this guy before you buy one locally. https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html he’s pretty chatty.
View Quote

Tried them. No response. I wonder if he is on the forum.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I’ve found this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Les-Baer-1911-Custom-Carry-Blue-45-ACP-1-5-in-Accuracy-Guarantee-No-Front-Serrations/88-2108522/

??

Don’t know what to do, far too many decisions. It seems as if though there is a consensus towards getting the hard chrome model. Also, I learned that they are not collectibles
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
They're not collectibles in the sense that they aren't really going to appreciate in value.   If you pay full retail for one, expect a 10% to 20% haircut when you try to sell.

Past that, they'll hold their value and may appreciate over time if you have a rarer model, but the custom 1911 world is a fickle one, as makers fall come in and out of favor over the years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They're not collectibles in the sense that they aren't really going to appreciate in value.   If you pay full retail for one, expect a 10% to 20% haircut when you try to sell.

Past that, they'll hold their value and may appreciate over time if you have a rarer model, but the custom 1911 world is a fickle one, as makers fall come in and out of favor over the years.
View Quote

That’s good info, thanks. Perhaps I should
Look for used as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s good info, thanks. Perhaps I should
Look for used as well.
View Quote

The addicts site moves a lot of guns.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/a-bare-baer-les-baer-utc-45-naked-hard-chrome-no-fcss.124924/
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go blued. I have a blue TRS and a stainless concept V. You can always have Ford hard chrome after the fact if it’s something you want or keep blued if that tickles your fancy.

You can’t go wrong. Baers are for people who shoot
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]

That was an insane deal.

Wow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that some of the limited releases were desirable from a collectibility standpoint. If I knew better I would not be asking. Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep in mind. Which one out of the three though? Or does it not matter?
View Quote

Owner of multiple Baer 1911s here.

The only Baer with ANY collector interest that I'm aware of are the ones he built using a LW alloy frame.

Maybe Ken Mays can correct me if I'm wrong there.

Chrome won't scratch like nickel does but it can flake after several years. The older Colts & Smiths were well known for this.

Aside from finish, no, it makes no real difference in which model you go with. Pick the features you like best, IMO. *I* would opt first for the 1-1/2" accuracy model if your LGS has one. If not, then I would opt instead for one with a mag well. Baer's look sharp as hell with a mag well, IMO.

Adjustable sights would also be a priority with me. I would also prefer his Commander size models as well.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Right after I got it back from Alchemy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I say stick with the hard chrome finish...the blue finish on the LB's wears pretty quickly.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I say stick with the hard chrome finish...the blue finish on the LB's wears pretty quickly.

Good luck.
View Quote

That’s the best part.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That’s the best part.
View Quote

The blue does wear to a somewhat appealing look. Hard chrome is still my choice, however I am seeing that they are consistently commanding a premium. The consensus seems to be that Baer’s are shooters, therefore I am trying to convince myself to go for something that most wisely wastes my money. Leaning towards the Custom Carry 1.5’’ Guaranteed for $2150 for now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only Baer with ANY collector interest that I'm aware of are the ones he built using a LW alloy frame.

Chrome won't scratch like nickel does but it can flake after several years. The older Colts & Smiths were well known for this.

Aside from finish, no, it makes no real difference in which model you go with. Pick the features you like best, IMO. *I* would opt first for the 1-1/2" accuracy model if your LGS has one. If not, then I would opt instead for one with a mag well. Baer's look sharp as hell with a mag well, IMO.

Adjustable sights would also be a priority with me. I would also prefer his Commander size models as well.

Good luck!
View Quote

Solid advice, looking to go with the Custom Carry 1.5” for $2150. It’s not the prettiest, but I intend to enjoy it for what it’s meant, especially if there is no collectibility potential.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I don’t have a Baer but the TRS is the one I’d look for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best prices and selection  ..I purchased 2 Baers from him in the past.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now I’ve found this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Les-Baer-1911-Custom-Carry-Blue-45-ACP-1-5-in-Accuracy-Guarantee-No-Front-Serrations/88-2108522/

??

Don’t know what to do, far too many decisions. It seems as if though there is a consensus towards getting the hard chrome model. Also, I learned that they are not collectibles
View Quote

That's a nice one- but if you're not in a hurry keep an eye on Addicts, pre-loved ones pop up for under $2K pretty frequently.
Go blued- Baer bluing is rubbish, it wears off a bit everytime you look at it, but I like it. If the wear bothers you, you can always have it refinished in melonite/nitride which will last really well.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a nice one- but if you're not in a hurry keep an eye on Addicts, pre-loved ones pop up for under $2K pretty frequently.
Go blued- Baer bluing is rubbish, it wears off a bit everytime you look at it, but I like it. If the wear bothers you, you can always have it refinished in melonite/nitride which will last really well.

https://picr.me/i/2020/03/22/VOgWbF.jpg
https://picr.me/i/2020/03/22/VOgp9U.jpg

View Quote

If not a collectible then I have little regard for how long it lasts. TBH I like the distressed blue. I am going to pick up the 1.5” Custom Carry tomorrow, barring that it hasn’t already sold. I wish I could afford the Hard Chrome, but it’s nearly $500+ in almost all instances I could find.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the Custom Carry because it has fixed sights.

I’d get the blues finish so that it’s easier to refinish if you make any mods to it after you shoot it for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]

I was wondering why I hadn’t seen this yet. Now this thread is complete.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Live my concept 3

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
My "high quality" 1911s have included Ed Brown, Les Baers, Wilson Combats, and Nighthawks.

My opinion about Les Baer ...

1) They're not collectible guns and lack the "refinement" of a Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk.  They do have an "old world" or "traditional" flair and feel about them that I personally like.
2) They shoot.  I mean ACCURATE.
3) They are tight.  Plan on hand racking the slide 500-1000x before you can "break the seal" without popping the muzzle with the palm of your hand.  Alternatively shoot 500 rounds (but with ammo costs right now ....)
4) Baer bluing is terrible. It will wear quickly.
5) If you buy a blued Baer look at it in person unless you're okay with potentially getting a gun with a purple tinged slide.  I've had two with the purple slides and hated it.
6) Baer hard chrome is very soft compared to other HC.  I don't know who does Baer's HC'g but I've had three of them and they do scratch easily whereas HC by others has not.
7) The Baer that I carry is a HC'd UTC (basically a Custom Carry but with a single side safety and thin grips).

Out of the "high end" 1911s I've owned I would rank them thusly ...

#1 Nighthawk
#2 Wilson Combat
#3 Les Baer
#4 Ed Brown

The spaces are intentional and used to illustrated the distance between "2nd and 3rd" place and "3rd and 4th place".

Please note: I've owned at least 10 Baers and have shot / carried them for many years so this isn't a "sample of one" comparison.

There is a reason why a Baer cost less than a Wilson or Nighthawk.  Baers just don't have the refinement and "subtle features" of the more expensive guns.  Baers do, however, have an old world hand made air about them.

Think of a Wilson or Nighthawk as a Corvette.
Think of a Baer as a '67 Ford Mustang GT350.

If I were you ... I would find buy a blued Custom Carry (or UTC) shoot it in, get it set up as you want, and then have someone else HC it for you.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Here my "pocket dump" from today ....

Les Baer UTC Hard Chrome (NFCS) with Chip McCormick 8rd PowerMag
2x Wilson Combat ETM HD/+P
DeSantis MadMax Holster
DeSantis Double Mag Carrier
Spyderco PM2
StreamLight ProTac Multi-Fuel
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I went with Premiere II, 25 LPI, and added a Stan Chen Magwell later on.

Love it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Baers are ridiculously accurate.  They make shooting one-ragged-hole-groups seem easy.

Whatever you buy ... after you break it in ... you're very likely going to be happy with the accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Custom Carry, Single Sided Safety, No Front Cocking Serrations, Naked Slide, 25LPI Checkering on the Front Strap, Long Match Trigger (w/o holes) and I'm not sure if they'd do this one, Blue the entire bbl.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

There are several models that have some collector interest, such as the SRP/HRT, and older discontinued models like the TDP, Prowler, things like that.  He's built any number of limited run and one-off models, like the one I have from the Contemporary Firearms Inc. run which were built on Strayer Voigt frames.  The ones the OP mentioned are "staple" lines for Baer and not likely to ever hold more than nominal value.  I'd also suggest purchasing a previously-owned model as well since someone has already taken the depreciation hit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My "high quality" 1911s have included Ed Brown, Les Baers, Wilson Combats, and Nighthawks.

My opinion about Les Baer ...

1) They're not collectible guns and lack the "refinement" of a Brown, Wilson or Nighthawk.  They do have an "old world" or "traditional" flair and feel about them that I personally like.
2) They shoot.  I mean ACCURATE.
3) They are tight.  Plan on hand racking the slide 500-1000x before you can "break the seal" without popping the muzzle with the palm of your hand.  Alternatively shoot 500 rounds (but with ammo costs right now ....)
4) Baer bluing is terrible. It will wear quickly.
5) If you buy a blued Baer look at it in person unless you're okay with potentially getting a gun with a purple tinged slide.  I've had two with the purple slides and hated it.
6) Baer hard chrome is very soft compared to other HC.  I don't know who does Baer's HC'g but I've had three of them and they do scratch easily whereas HC by others has not.
7) The Baer that I carry is a HC'd UTC (basically a Custom Carry but with a single side safety and thin grips).

#1 Nighthawk
#2 Wilson Combat
#3 Les Baer
#4 Ed Brown

The spaces are intentional and used to illustrated the distance between "2nd and 3rd" place and "3rd and 4th place".

Please note: I've owned at least 10 Baers and have shot / carried them for many years so this isn't a "sample of one" comparison.

There is a reason why a Baer cost less than a Wilson or Nighthawk.  Baers just don't have the refinement and "subtle features" of the more expensive guns.  Baers do, however, have an old world hand made air about them.

If I were you ... I would find buy a blued Custom Carry (or UTC) shoot it in, get it set up as you want, and then have someone else HC it for you.

View Quote

Many useful pieces of information here. Highly appreciate the detailed response.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are several models that have some collector interest, such as the SRP/HRT, and older discontinued models like the TDP, Prowler, things like that.  He's built any number of limited run and one-off models, like the one I have from the Contemporary Firearms Inc. run which were built on Strayer Voigt frames.  The ones the OP mentioned are "staple" lines for Baer and not likely to ever hold more than nominal value.  I'd also suggest purchasing a previously-owned model as well since someone has already taken the depreciation hit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9714/cfi1_jpg-1836084.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/9714/cfi2_jpg-1836085.JPG
View Quote

I am not seeing many good deals on the used end. If they actually shoot the way most of you have described then perhaps I wouldn’t mind just keeping it and shooting it till the end of time. I would have loved to have gotten a nighthawk, but I simply cannot afford. I’ll keep checking with Addicts, can’t believe I missed the $1750 Hard Chrome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

#1 Nighthawk
#2 Wilson Combat
#3 Les Baer
#4 Ed Brown

View Quote

Gary,

Agree with everything you say.  Just interested in why Ed Brown was slid so far down your list.  My sample size of 1 Ed Brown is right there with my Baer, SA Custom Shop, etc.

OP, there is good advice here.  My Baer Concept III was my first semi-custom, and I wanted a classic 2 tone look.  Baers are hard fit working guns that definitely lack some refined details of other makers, but that is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Agree with everything you say.  Just interested in why Ed Brown was slid so far down your list.  My sample size of 1 Ed Brown is right there with my Baer, SA Custom Shop, etc.
View Quote

I can't speak for Gary, but in my experience, when Brown guns are good, they are very good.  When they're bad, it's a cast-iron bitch to get them to do anything toward fixing them.   They also tend to overcut the sight dovetails in my opinion; the sights should be a tight fit without threadlocker and a set screw.

The one Brown I still own has impeccable quality of machining and is a great example of Brown at their best.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't speak for Gary, but in my experience, when Brown guns are good, they are very good.  When they're bad, it's a cast-iron bitch to get them to do anything toward fixing them.  

View Quote

You said it perfectly.

I had a brand new Executive Elite (not their entry level) that would not function.  The most they would do is sell me parts that I had to install.  After several rounds of this I gave up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Proud new owner of a Concept IV. Guy at the shop stated they all shoot better than me, so I kind of just went for styling and ambi feature. $2099 + tax. Not a bargain, but it’s mine :) Plus they did offer to replace the sights with adjustable Trijicon night sights in that deal.

BTW the Hard Chrome sold before I had the chance to decide.

Thanks for your help.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats on your new first Baer!

The sexiest handgun ever is a 5" 1911 with a hard-chrome (or stainless) frame and blued slide.  They are just gorgeous.

Put on some gloves, turn on Longmire, and start hand racking the slide.  After about 1000 cycles, replace the recoil spring and plug with a Wilson 17# flat wire kit, stock up on CMC PowerMags and head to the range.

ETA: toss the Wilson recoil buff that comes with the flat-wire recoil spring kit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#41]
That pic just doesn't do it for me!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right?! It’s like the porn star is wearing a condom
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad gents, took in haste. Feast your eyes:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The sexiest handgun ever is a 5" 1911 with a hard-chrome (or stainless) frame and blued slide.  They are just gorgeous.

Put on some gloves, turn on Longmire, and start hand racking the slide.  After about 1000 cycles, replace the recoil spring and plug with a Wilson 17# flat wire kit, stock up on CMC PowerMags and head to the range.

ETA: toss the Wilson recoil buff that comes with the flat-wire recoil spring kit.
View Quote

Thank you sir, the more I look at it, the more I warm up to the two tone. I want to get that nasty oil off, but it seems it is needed, in fact the lady at the LGS who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable mentioned it’s needed for the first 1k rounds, and if I tried to clean it before that I will most likely have to bring it back because it won’t fit together.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gee take a 2000 dollar gun, hand rack it a 1000 times then replace the spring and he hasn't even shot it yet.   What am I missing here?  Because I took my DW out of the box, lubed it while shooting 500 rounds through it and it run flawless, I paid 1195 for it.

Not being a smart ass, I like to learn..     And to the OP it's a good looking ride, enjoy!  

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

BTW, I am more of a Justified guy then Longmire. No disrespect, I love those grips and I am surfing the web looking for where to buy them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gee take a 2000 dollar gun, hand rack it a 1000 times then replace the spring and he hasn't even shot it yet.   What am I missing here?  Because I took my DW out of the box, lubed it while shooting 500 rounds through it and it run flawless, I paid 1195 for it.

Not being a smart ass, I like to learn..     And to the OP it's a good looking ride, enjoy!  

View Quote

Baers are hardfit meaning the barrel to slide lockup is so tight they have to be “popped on the muzzle” to rack the slide when new.  They loosen up enough to hand rack over 500-1000.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thank you sir, the more I look at it, the more I warm up to the two tone. I want to get that nasty oil off, but it seems it is needed, in fact the lady at the LGS who seemed to be fairly knowledgeable mentioned it’s needed for the first 1k rounds, and if I tried to clean it before that I will most likely have to bring it back because it won’t fit together.
View Quote

You can wipe off the exterior.  Les recommends leaving the lube inside and not cleaning the gun for the first 500rds. In essence you’re lapping the parts with oil and carbon fouling.

This is a follow in comment to the question I answered above.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

BTW, I am more of a Justified guy then Longmire. No disrespect, I love those grips and I am surfing the web looking for where to buy them.
View Quote

I’ve had a half dozen set of stag grips over the years.  If you get real stag be sure to research how to care for them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Baers are hardfit meaning the barrel to slide lockup is so tight they have to be “popped on the muzzle” to rack the slide when new.  They loosen up enough to hand rack over 500-1000.

View Quote

When I first handled them at the LGS, I thought they were seized up from sitting too long LoL.

One of the most common boasts I’ll hear about a high end pistol is “the slide feels like it is on bearings”. Not sure why that is a good thing, however that is certainly NOT the case with any of the Baer’s I handled.

This was quite reminiscent of my first Larue. When I picked one up and tried to take it apart to inspect it at the shop, everybody got a good laugh at my expense thinking I was too fragile to crack open the receiver. I had to break it on me knee, because the fitment was tight.

Had a love/hate break in period, mainly due to ammo cost. But I can’t think of anything that shoots like it now. I am hoping to have the same experience with this Baer. LGS owners were both Baer(er’s) and insisted that even the non 1.5” models will shoot 1.5” after a 1000 rounds.

Can’t wait to get to the range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top