Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2020 2:12:56 AM EDT
Hi,

I know a guy who is selling an FN Five Seven.

Well, he was pitching it and said he had a case of the "ss195" (Lead Free primer) stuff to go with it. (The non blue tip type, as I'm researching now).

The deal sounded fairly decent for anyone wanting one, but being those have "Lead Free" primers, the shelf life varies when checking Google and I'm trying to tell him that the ammo could be compromised. I've read 5 years and up to 10 years of shelf life of stored properly.

He said he has had them since approx 2012/13 and that they have been inside of an ammo can which is also inside of a Safe.

Is the ammo likely a mix full of duds by now?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

Well, he was pitching it and said he had a case of ss195 to go with it. (The non blue tip type, as I'm researching now).

The deal sounded fairly decent for anyone wanting one, but being those have "Lead Free" primers, the shelf life varies when checking Google and I'm trying to tell him that the ammo could be compromised.

He said he has had them since approx 2012/13 and that they have been inside of an ammo can which is also inside of a Safe.

Still, approx 8 years.

View Quote
Ive shot a ton of WWII/Korean era ammo, it doesn't go bad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Well, he was pitching it and said he had a case of ss195 to go with it. (The non blue tip type, as I'm researching now).

The deal sounded fairly decent for anyone wanting one, but being those have "Lead Free" primers, the shelf life varies when checking Google and I'm trying to tell him that the ammo could be compromised.

Still, approx 8 years.

- YES - BECAUSE YOUR WW2 AMMO USES LEAD PRIMERS!

Sheesh - OP is talking about LEAD FREE primers.  And yes - they DO go bad!!

Thought everyone knew about DDNP priming compound vs lead styphnate by now?

Data is all over the net & has been for years; for example;

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/surprising-results-in-dept-of-defense-lead-free-primer-tests/

@FrankW134
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone ever owned any Lead Free ammo (particularly 5.7x28 -ss195) and it actually hold up to the 8-10 years that some say it can last until of stored properly?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever owned any Lead Free ammo (particularly 5.7x28 -ss195) and it actually hold up to the 8-10 years that some say it can last until of stored properly?
View Quote
I have some SS195 over 10 years old.  I have successfully fired a few rounds lately.

Is the primer in SS195 actually lead free, though?  (I used to think that they were).  Perhaps Lead Free refers to the bullet construction?
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe early lead free primers had issues. I've shoot 2004 SS195LF recently and it works fine. Here is my range report from 13 yr SS198LF

I was out testing the Ruger 57 today as well as the DT-CAOS MK2, and found I had some 13 yr old SS198LF. I'm trying to remember when it came out, it's old :D Some people seem to have concern over lead free primers and some mythical 10 yr life span. Ammo has been stored in a cool dry area.
Weather:
Temp: 44F
Baro: 28.90" HG
Dew: 28F
Humidity: 53%
Pro Chrono Digital Taken at 12'. 10 shots each gun

2007 Lot:
LOT FNB07L962-100
Ruger 57: 2,145
FSN MK2: 2,096

2017 Lot:
04FNB17
Ruger 57: 2,143
FSN MK2: 2,102

2019Lot:
02FNB19
Ruger 57: 2,149
FSN MK2: 2,098

TL;DR Ammo still works just fine...
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe early lead free primers had issues. I've shoot 2004 SS195LF recently and it works fine. Here is my range report from 13 yr SS198LF

I was out testing the Ruger 57 today as well as the DT-CAOS MK2, and found I had some 13 yr old SS198LF. I'm trying to remember when it came out, it's old :D Some people seem to have concern over lead free primers and some mythical 10 yr life span. Ammo has been stored in a cool dry area.
Weather:
Temp: 44F
Baro: 28.90" HG
Dew: 28F
Humidity: 53%
Pro Chrono Digital Taken at 12'. 10 shots each gun

2007 Lot:
LOT FNB07L962-100
Ruger 57: 2,145
FSN MK2: 2,096

2017 Lot:
04FNB17
Ruger 57: 2,143
FSN MK2: 2,102

2019Lot:
02FNB19
Ruger 57: 2,149
FSN MK2: 2,098

TL;DR Ammo still works just fine...
View Quote
Good post!

Thanks for the info, I'll pass along the message.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#7]
   Some people seem to have concern over lead free primers and some mythical 10 yr life span
View Quote
I bought some late 90s production 9mm with lead free primers.  Worked fine in the early 2000s.

As the years went by, occasional misfires started, and then increased.  I really should have taken notes, I guess.

Interestingly enough, while initially reliable in several pistols, 2 different 9mm ARs would misfire from the start.

Lead free primers seem to have been improved, but they definitely had a short shelf life over 20 years ago.

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

- YES - BECAUSE YOUR WW2 AMMO USES LEAD PRIMERS!

Sheesh - OP is talking about LEAD FREE primers.  And yes - they DO go bad!!

Thought everyone knew about DDNP priming compound vs lead styphnate by now?

Data is all over the net & has been for years; for example;

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/surprising-results-in-dept-of-defense-lead-free-primer-tests/

@FrankW134
View Quote
This is true. Also keep in mind that some primers are more temperature sensitive also. The crappy corrosive primers have the best shelf life and are most temp. stable. Avoid the "green" ammo for long term storage. Also "lead free" may refer to the bullet and not the primers so double check.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is true. Also keep in mind that some primers are more temperature sensitive also. The crappy corrosive primers have the best shelf life and are most temp. stable. Avoid the "green" ammo for long term storage. Also "lead free" may refer to the bullet and not the primers so double check.
View Quote
It is the primer, BUT, being made by FN, maybe it's better than some lower cost brands.

He is pissed being he apparently bought it during the early 13' panic and said he paid $1 per round.

I told him he should just take it to the range and enjoy some time with that ammo, but the current cheaper pricing made him upset, then my news about the primers.

Idk, I guess he has it as an Investment piece and thought it was gonna be worth a ton, but has short life/ nearly 10 year old ammo and the ammo is worth half the price of what he paid.

I'd like to get it but with other cheaper offerings out, if I ever get anything like that, I would probably look into the Ruger or Keltec PMR rather than a 1k+ FN with a fancy round.

It's very nice though. Looks like a toy, the safety and takedown levers look as if they really wouldn't work, as if a detailed toy pistol upon first glance.

Are these known to have any advantage over a normal pistol, besides having a round that is damn near a rifle round?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are these known to have any advantage over a normal pistol, besides having a round that is damn near a rifle round?
View Quote
besides that, it's just another pistol. The Five-seveN works pretty damn well. They can be finicky just like other auto-loaders. If the ballistics don't interest you, and you want to shoot 5.7 get the Ruger 57 and save $400-500.

SS195LF yeah isn't worth $1/rd. it's worth about .50/rd right now
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
besides that, it's just another pistol. The Five-seveN works pretty damn well. They can be finicky just like other auto-loaders. If the ballistics don't interest you, and you want to shoot 5.7 get the Ruger 57 and save $400-500.

SS195LF yeah isn't worth $1/rd. it's worth about .50/rd right now
View Quote

LOL... what a difference a week makes
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL... what a difference a week makes
View Quote
Yep. M193 is what over .40/rd right now too?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top