Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2019 4:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GSMP44]
Good afternoon everyone new member here, finally registered after lurking for years now and making this my first post really disheartens me. Made my first firearm purchase about two weeks ago after doing a little bit of research (albeit apparently not enough) and decided I wanted to go with a Kimber Micro 9. I've shot plenty of times just never owned a firearm personally, many of my friends own Glocks, primarily 19's and 43's and while I did enjoy shooting them I wanted to try something else. I went with a Kimber Micro 9 CSE that after purchasing I field stripped, inspected, and lubed all up then took it to the range and put 300 rounds of Winchester 115 grain through it. Immediately it had problems, first the slide wouldn't fully seat like it was having trouble feeding the round into the barrel so I would have to take my thumb and push the slide about an eighth of an inch to send it home and would continue firing. In addition three times it failed to eject the round, and if I had to estimate how many times I had to assist the slide it would be around 10.    So I went home disappointed and jumped on the interwebs to figure out what the trouble was and talked to a few people, a lot of people said I just needed to break it in and to try firing some 147 grain to really get it going. Once again I broke it down and cleaned it making sure I lubed it really well but didn't go crazy.

Link Posted: 3/30/2019 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Continued post because I'm limited to 2000 characters: Fast forward to today the 147 grain was all sold out so I grab 50 rounds of Remington 124 grain and still had 100 of the 115. I fire about 30 rounds of the 124 and things are going smooth, had one hiccup with the slide but I'm thinking that things are looking better so I start firing some of the 115 again. Long story short twice it failed to eject and twice I had to push the slide and on top of all of that the both pistol grip screws on the left side came undone after firing about 75 rounds, yes they fell out. Taking a look at the right grip the top screw doesn't even look fully seated and appears to be cross threaded. I'm contacting Kimber to see how they will assist me and I hope they will resolve this and I can get it fixed or get a replacement that shoots good. For a brand new gun this thing is honestly a piece of crap so anyone thinking about getting a Kimber be warned.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had issues with guns in the first 50/100/300 rounds before....some guns just need a little break in.  I’d go another 1-300 rounds and see if the issues sort themselves out.  If not, sell that sucker and go with something proven, and don’t invest in accessories (holsters, spare mags) until you’re confident in it.

FWIW I’ve seen some kimbers run and others choke. I honestly wouldn’t go with them but that’s me.  If you like the micro 1911 style gun the sig 938 would be a good, if not better alternative....haven’t heard of many issues out of the 938
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
you sure you are not limp wristing?

Still could just need a break in. Also try heavier/different bullets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#4]
Definitely a 'brand' issue.  My most awesome Glock 19 has never done that, nor exhibited any hiccups whatsoever.

Ahhhhh ... Perfection.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Definitely a 'brand' issue.  My most awesome Glock 19 has never done that, nor exhibited any hiccups whatsoever.

Ahhhhh ... Perfection.
View Quote
Perfection with no soul, just ugly plastic.

OP, clean and lube it. If it doesn't run next trip to the range, send it to Kimber and get them to straighten it out for you. They make some great 1911s, don't see why the Micro should be anything different.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:

Perfection with no soul, just ugly plastic.

OP, clean and lube it. If it doesn't run next trip to the range, send it to Kimber and get them to straighten it out for you. They make some great 1911s, don't see why the Micro should be anything different.
View Quote
Cleaned and lubed before every trip, didn't help. Back to the factory with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SCPigpen:
you sure you are not limp wristing?

Still could just need a break in. Also try heavier/different bullets.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GSMP44] [#8]
I've shot an XD9, XD40, G43, G19 and an M&P Shield and never had problems limp wristing. I have put Winchester 115g, Remington 124g, and Federal 115g through it and all with all three I've had issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It could be said that I'm a fan of Kimber, but a gun designed for carry should be reliable with almost any common ammunition you feed it. I'd find it acceptable if a specialized target or competition pistol was finicky, but not this. At the range I shoot at, they have 2 Micro 9s available for rent. Neither of them runs reliably.

That said, I love the new Evo series. It's around the same size as the Micro, but shoots like a dream and eats anything it's fed. If we were friends,  I'd tell you to get rid of the Micro and buy the Evo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gotfish:
It could be said that I'm a fan of Kimber, but a gun designed for carry should be reliable with almost any common ammunition you feed it. I'd find it acceptable if a specialized target or competition pistol was finicky, but not this. At the range I shoot at, they have 2 Micro 9s available for rent. Neither of them runs reliably.

That said, I love the new Evo series. It's around the same size as the Micro, but shoots like a dream and eats anything it's fed. If we were friends,  I'd tell you to get rid of the Micro and buy the Evo.
View Quote
Interesting.  I have not had a single malfunction with mine, with 4 different types off ammo through it.  I picked up 3 extra mags (it's just a gun I carry on the bike) and those have been issue free, as well.

I have no reason to defend the thing, and I swore of Kimber years ago after I had issues with a 3.5 inch CDP.

I have some nice reliable 1911s, and I would be the first to call this thing a POS if it was giving me problems.  So far, I just haven't had any.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an update: sent it back to the factory and they replaced the extractor, recoil spring, sear pin and adjusted a few things. Range report it fired Federal flawlessly fired 50 rounds with no problems, Remington was fine, but Winchester was still giving it issues. Overall fired 150 rounds yesterday and other than the Winchester I had no issues so hopefully with more range trips it continues to run fine. Also sending back to the factory was quick and easy and they got it back to me within a week.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have always had a problem with a Kimber first one was a beautiful full size CDP , hammer would follow slide down, the next one was a Custom Tac 2 ,it would never run a full mag it was junk for 1000 bucks . I have a Kimber Warrior that I bought years ago the week it was out, it`s the only one thats never had a problem. I look and look at how nice new ones are but no thanks .I would get a new Smith Wesson Shild 2.0 and a few spare mags or a Glock 48 and you will be good to go .
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I still look and look at the Kimbers and they look so good , but will it work ,I had two that worked out of five and only have the Warrior that I got the week it came out years ago . It has little finish left and was a carry gun , atv gun and truck gun .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top