Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
I picked up a Lightweight arctic in 9mm.  https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-lw-oi-arctic  For a variety of reasons, I want to put a magwell on it.  I originally bought a knockoff S&A because this is just a fun gun, not a 20k rounds a year USPSA workhorse, but it wasnt close to fitting.  So I assumed the knockoff was ill-sized, raised heck with the seller.  They sent me another one, and :shocker: it is exactly the same problem.  Just to prove I wasnt nuts I tried both of the magwells on a different 1911, and they are flawless.  I then ordered a Wilson style (hooks over the bottom grip screw bosses) and IT didn't fit either.  Great, now I have to apologize to the original seller and either ship them back the replacement or pay them for it.  

So, I am left with the problem that I think the dimensions of the grip and mainspring housing channel on my Kimber are a different size than any other 1911 I own.   The plastic MSH that came out if the Kimber is both very loose and seems undersized compared to the magwell MSH but I am not sure where to put my calipers to give a meaningful dimension.

What do I do?  I have not seen any Kimber-specific 1911 parts advertised separately, but then Kimbers own custom shop seems to imply their 1911 parts are standard fitiment.  Help!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe Contact Kimber?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You may want to try to find Kimber msh/magwell parts.  Someone may have take off parts that’ll be a better fit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Id contact EGW and see if they will tell you how much oversized  the mainspring housing the sell is.

https://www.egwguns.com/mainspring-housing-magwell-combo-25-lpi-ss
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id contact EGW and see if they will tell you how much oversized  the mainspring housing the sell is.

https://www.egwguns.com/mainspring-housing-magwell-combo-25-lpi-ss
View Quote

LOL, they advised me to contact Kimber.

Kimber has not responded, I will try again.

The problem is that the channel on the frame is too narrow by what appears to be a significant amount
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Stan Chen SI magwells on multiple Kimbers and they fit great

So I need pictures or a better definition of how the magwell doesn’t fit. Is it too big, too small, doesn’t line up with the magwell opening?

Does it actually install on the gun but the funnel doesn’t match the opening?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I have a Stan Chen SI magwell as well on this Kimber Lightweight and had no issues. Best magwell in the business for sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
OP did you figure this out or hear back from kimber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top