Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2018 4:44:00 PM EDT
Looking for another 1911 and I have been eyeing the custom II in a full size. Any takes on it from folks who own one?

Or what other guns should I look at In the price range of the Kimber?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan of the Swartz firing pin safety, but I've owned several series II Kimbers and they were good guns. I had to replace the slide stop on every one, though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
There really is a difference between guns on the Kimber's - inspect before purchase - there is some junk out there.  If you get a good one - it'll be as good as any other production 1911.  
I have a Custom Target II (same gun with an adjustable sight) and it's very accurate.  I replaced the slide stop with an Ed Brown drop in I think.  I've got replacements for several other parts that might or might not fail and they are all still sitting in boxes - the slide stop didn't fail - but I wanted a forged part.
They have gotten a lot more pricy over the past few years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine has had a Custom II for ten years.  He doesn't shoot it a lot but it's a good reliable pistol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
5" and .45, you'll probably be fine.  For $700 or so they're pretty decent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If they make the gun with the features you want, for a price you want, then you might as well.  You'll hear a lot of Kimber bashing online, and in stores sometimes, but they have the capacity to make a good gun.

Having sold them for years in a store I'm not a fan of their guns.  Too many quality control issues for me and the customer service for both customers, and dealers, was really disappointing to me.

As a heads up "Custom II" really just means full sized governmnet model with a schwartz safety.  Their 'model' names are things like "raptor", "TLE", "CDP" etc.  The model name is almost never engraved on hte gun itself, it just defines a look/set of features.  Their words like "Custom", "Pro", "Ultra", "Compact" etc are their sizes.  
Check out their site, and see which ones jump out at you for features/looks and go from there. Definitely recommend sticking with a 5", or "Custom", sized gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one. Bought it new for $600 and tax. Nice pistol, shoots great, I like the dot sights.

Slowly upgrading parts. Put new internals in Les baer parts and some Ed brown stuff. Replaced the plastic main spring housing with stainless steel Ed brown.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go with a Springfield for the same money any day if the week..
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking for another 1911 and I have been eyeing the custom II in a full size. Any takes on it from folks who own one?

Or what other guns should I look at In the price range of the Kimber?
View Quote
I've had mine for the better part of 10 years.  I put night sights and VZ grips on it and it has been good to go.  I keep a good recoil spring in it and us CMC Power mags in mine and it runs like a champ.  I even carried it for a long time
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Gen 1 Kimber 1911's were fantastic pistols (SS Gold Match Trophy) Very Tight, Excellent Fit and Finish, and Superb
Material Quality, Very Accurate...

Post Gen 1 it was down hill from there...Kimber started switching vendors for their materials and parts (MIM), and
then started moving and replacing loyal employees and managers, and then customers service also started to go
down hill as a result as well...Then they started not to honor their warranty with broken MIM parts like thumb
safeties, slide stops, hammers, etc...Then reducing their warranty terms to 1 year...

Not good business practices IMHO by Kimber by any stretch...Very sad that they were willing to sacrifice profit for
quality and customer service.

During the beginning years at the Yonkers factory you were able to go to the factory and speak to the head gunsmith
at the time and get a quick factory tour for local permit holders and LEO's...Not anymore.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a early Clakamas kimber and I have a recent two tone Custom II in 9mm. Both run great. The 9mm is nicely finished and very accurate. I picked up the 9mm for $629 shipped a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone played with Rugers 1911?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Range Officers have been a favorite of mine for a few years now, they don't cost a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Kimber Custom II that I bought about 10 years ago.  It was hands down the most accurate pistol I've ever shot, for me.  I only sold it cuz I was sort of desperate one year and .45 was more expensive to shoot.

A buddy has it and says it's the most accurate pistol he's ever owned.

Mine ran fine too, Over 1k rounds through it.  Closer to 2k.

Honestly?  I would buy with confidence.  But that being said, I have not shot and handled a lot of them.  I bought mine because another guy let me shoot his and it was the same story.  Very nice shooter.  Way more accurate than my Springy Milspec.  It was like night and day.  Tighter too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I took my new Custom II to the local range after work last work last night. I installed a Kimber magwell and a set of Meprolight night sights on it a week ago. I fired 350 rds of Remington 230 grain FMJ and 40 rds of Federal Hydra Shok I had sitting in one of my ammo tins. The pistol suffered zero issues and is quite accurate to boot.

I used three each, Wilson 47D, Mec Gar 8 rd, Checkmate 8 rd Hybrid and Checkmate 10 rd Hybrid magazines. No feeding issues with any of them and I was kind of expecting a bobble or two from the extended 10 rd magazines.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this 1911 so far. I will try to repeat the range trip with it next week and see how it does again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top