Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2019 7:34:11 PM EDT
I currently EDC a Ruger LCP-II (.380) in my back pocket in a DeSantis Trickster holster. It doesn't get any more convenient for me so I can carry as close to 24/7 as legally possible.
If I'm going to carry outside my back pocket, I'll carry my Shield AIWB.
However, I would be very interested in a 9mm that's small enough to carry in my back pocket like the LCP-II, hence my interest in the CM9/PM9.
Factory specs look like the Kahrs are maybe .25" longer than the LCP-II so the concept *might* be workable.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions as to the practicality of carrying a Kahr 9mm in the back pocket? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 5:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#1]
Depends on how big the back pocket is.
Blue jeans, maybe not.  Cargo pants or shorts, probably.

A proper pocket holster will have a surface that when put in a back pocket it looks like a wallet.
This also pads the gun so it doesn't hurt you and you don't hurt the gun.
A critical factor is whether the holster design will prevent sitting on it from pressing the magazine catch.

You'll need to come up with a way to carry a spare magazine.  The Kahr's will shed rounds from the mag if you just drop it in a pocket or even in some magazine pouches.

Someone is making a plastic pocket case that holds one magazine, and I seem to remember seeing a plastic magazine cover that slips over the magazine to keep it lint free and prevent shedding rounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Depends on how big the back pocket is.
Blue jeans, maybe not.  Cargo pants or shorts, probably.

A proper pocket holster will have a surface that when put in a back pocket it looks like a wallet.
This also pads the gun so it doesn't hurt you and you don't hurt the gun.
A critical factor is whether the holster design will prevent sitting on it from pressing the magazine catch.

You'll need to come up with a way to carry a spare magazine.  The Kahr's will shed rounds from the mag if you just drop it in a pocket or even in some magazine pouches.

Someone is making a plastic pocket case that holds one magazine, and I seem to remember seeing a plastic magazine cover that slips over the magazine to keep it lint free and prevent shedding rounds.
View Quote
I use a SnagMag to carry spare LCP-II mags, would probably use the same for a Kahr. Trickster holster I've been using for some time does make the LCP-II look like a wallen, is comfortable enough and doesn't press on the magazine release.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to carry a CM9 in my back pocket regularly. Some jean pockets may be a bit short, but if I'm wearing jeans, generally my shirt is untucked so it was never a problem. I sold it to buy my shield. I keep telling myself I need to buy another.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hankforker:
I used to carry a CM9 in my back pocket regularly. Some jean pockets may be a bit short, but if I'm wearing jeans, generally my shirt is untucked so it was never a problem. I sold it to buy my shield. I keep telling myself I need to buy another.
View Quote
Did you use a holster of any kind? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Loved my pm9 but sold it to buy a 43. Haven’t missed it that bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Often I back pocket carry a CM9. Never had a problem with engaging the mag release even with a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#7]
Carrying a pistol in a pocket with no holster isn't a good idea.
The old timers who carried in a hip pocket usually had the pocket replaced with waxed canvas so they could draw the gun without the softer cloth grabbing and slowing the draw.
Also, men's pants pockets were bigger back then.
In today's pants with smaller pockets guns tend to get held by the softer cloth and just "stick".
That can be just long enough to get you killed.

Depending on the size of the pocket, the gun is free to shift and move around.  In a big pocket you may find the gun shifts until it's actually upside down.  This is worse in a large front pants pocket.

A good pocket holster positions the gun for a fast draw and prevents it moving around.
It pads the gun from being damaged.  It's not unheard of for people to bend cylinder cranes or spring slides by sitting on a gun.
The hazard of "butt dialing" the magazine catch is also a real risk.
Then there's the printing issue if the shirt rides up.
Even with a shirt down over the pocket I've seen people get "looks" when then sit down on a hard chair in a restaurant and the gun makes a "CLUNK" sound.
A pocket holster also helps keep lint and foreign matter out of the gun.
Lint is insidious.  I've serviced pistols and revolvers that had lint infiltrate into hidden areas, absorb oil and begin to interfere with the operation.

A good pocket holster is just good sense.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Carrying a pistol in a pocket with no holster isn't a good idea.
The old timers who carried in a hip pocket usually had the pocket replaced with waxed canvas so they could draw the gun without the softer cloth grabbing and slowing the draw.
Also, men's pants pockets were bigger back then.
In today's pants with smaller pockets guns tend to get held by the softer cloth and just "stick".
That can be just long enough to get you killed.

Depending on the size of the pocket, the gun is free to shift and move around.  In a big pocket you may find the gun shifts until it's actually upside down.  This is worse in a large front pants pocket.

A good pocket holster positions the gun for a fast draw and prevents it moving around.
It pads the gun from being damaged.  It's not unheard of for people to bend cylinder cranes or spring slides by sitting on a gun.
The hazard of "butt dialing" the magazine catch is also a real risk.
Then there's the printing issue if the shirt rides up.
Even with a shirt down over the pocket I've seen people get "looks" when then sit down on a hard chair in a restaurant and the gun makes a "CLUNK" sound.
A pocket holster also helps keep lint and foreign matter out of the gun.
Lint is insidious.  I've serviced pistols and revolvers that had lint infiltrate into hidden areas, absorb oil and begin to interfere with the operation.

A good pocket holster is just good sense.
View Quote
I always EDC w/a holster and am looking for those who have back-pocket carried a Kahr 9mm in a pocket holster of some kind.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrandmasterB] [#9]
I’ve carried a PM9 in my back pocket for many years, in a WRB hip pocket holster

I’ve never had a problem with the mag release being pressed inadvertently.  I don’t prefer this method of carry if I’m going to be sitting for a good while, like at the movies, but it works great for walking around at a festival or shopping.

I like the small size of the PM9 for this.  Anything smaller is most likely a .380.  With the right holster, it looks like a wallet, and doesn’t draw any attention.

I like that the PM9 has real sights you can actually use and there are plenty of aftermarket options for night sights.  I also like the Kahr triggers.  I love double action revolvers, so the Kahr trigger feels right at home to me, but pulls at a very nice and super smooth 5lbs.  Just about perfect.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a wallet style holster-ish "holder".   The brand of pants makes all the difference in the world, I have some pants that I can barely get the stupid thing in and when I sit everything tends to poke out at the top of the holster . I have some other pants that I think are maybe dilute tradin or rigs that the back pocket is so deep that I couldn't draw without contorting.   The end result is that some pants I front pocket carry and some pants I back pocket carry. The main thing the holster does is keep me from hitting the mag release  And of course keeps everything upright
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have  DeSantis MK holster for my PM9 which could work in the back pocket, but I only use it up front.

I recently picked up a SOB holster for it for carry on the belt in the back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Carry the CM9 IWB and a P380 in the back pocket. The CM is to big for back pocket, for me. Hard to draw or dig out of the pocket and it's like sitting on a 2by4.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a belly band holster for my PM9 and it is way more comfortable, for me, than a back pocket or small of the back carry.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay, here's an update. The new S&W M&P Shield Plus 9mm is my preferred EDC but for errands/convenient carry I like something I can just slip into my back pocket.

Went from the LCP-II to the SA 911 .380 in a DeSantis 'Trickster' holster and it carried well in my back pocket. SA .380 was way more accurate/pleasant to shoot than the LCP-II.
Draw wasn't as quick/easy as I'd like, but First Rule of Gunfights and all. Only real downside was the wear on the outside back pocket.

FF to today.
With prices the way they are, decided to get out of .380 entirely and consolidate to 9mm only. That meant finding a replacement for the SA 911 .380.
Found myself looking at the CM9 again, checked out dimensions/weight/etc and it looked to be the only real 9mm contender for back-pocket carry.
Rolled the dice and ordered a CM9 w/the tritium front sight.

Good news:
Trigger is just as sweet as I remember, has been 100% through appx 50rds so far, no thumb safety to worry about disengaging under stress, being DAO I don't worry about carrying it in my back pocket, draw from back pocket (sans holster) is faster/easier, 9mm instead of .380, same capacity as the SA .380 w/flush mags (I'll be adding the MagGuts +1 follower/spring so 7+1 w/the flush mag), much more accurate (for me) than the SA .380, only about 3oz heavier.

Bad news:
Recoil is snappier (albeit not punishing), followup shots are slower, won't fit my back pocket w/the Pearce pinky rest (well, it does fit, but badly, it interferes w/the draw and prints more as well), this only works w/o a holster.

Experiment: To reduce wear on the outside of the back pocket, I've applied iron-on denim patches to the inside of the carry pocket. Seems to be working for now but only time will tell if it's a permanent solution.

Bottom line: CM9 so far is proving to be a worthy successor to the pocket guns it's replaced.

Tomac
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top