Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 2:53:57 PM EDT
thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of no such study, but really, unless you are talking about a sub compact CCW piece, the recoil from any factory 9mm loading is nothing outrageous, and even the smaller pistols are easy to shoot compared to a .357 snubby.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Be more specific OP.  

Realistically if you are talking about the 9mm round itself its pure physics based on bullet weight and powder load.  Most powder manufacturers have detailed tables available mostly based around the 115gr to compare powder charges.  Lots of independent info compiling that info across manufacturers and different bullet weights.

There is nothing reliable regarding recoil of particular guns since that is really dependent on the prior point and is pretty subjective based on the shooter.

ETA: There is also info regarding barrel length and how it effects overall velocities.  Again its not a real big thing in 9mm as the gains going from a 5" barrel really aren't much when you go longer.  Actually there can be negative effects, velocity loss, if you go to long.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, if you are looking for the lightest recoiling 9mm loads we may be able to recommend some. But I have not heard of an actual "study". It's hard enough to get quality tests of penetration and expansion.

You can look at the foot pounds (energy) listed for the various loads and extrapolate some. The higher the listed ft. lbs the more energy and maybe more recoil to some extent. Although lighter bullets moving faster will have higher Ft.lbs but not always more recoil.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
This is not a study, but a method to calculate the recoil of different loads.  Maybe this will help you out.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The question that I have had for years is to compare the 115 to 124 to 147 gains bullets....

What is the real world difference in them?

Red
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussing the "recoil" of a 9mm cartridge is a lot like discussing the seniority of second lieutenants.........
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The question that I have had for years is to compare the 115 to 124 to 147 gains bullets....

Red
View Quote

It's hard to compare. Some (many) people think that the 147gr recoil the least. The 115 may have less felt recoil but more blast or pop since it's moving fast.

In my experience, 115gr going 1200. fps, 124 going 1150 and 147 going 1050 all "feel" about the same although I tend to prefer the feel of the 147 maybe because the slide velocity is slower and there is less blast.

Now some of the slower 147gr loads like the Win Ranger T and the Train and Defend feel very mild and are very accurate. The hardest recoiling 9mm loads are the +P+ loads like the Fed BP9LE, Win 115 +P+ and the 127+P+.

In my Glock 43, I actually like the Win Silvertip 115. It just "feels" just right and is very accurate. Also the HST 124 (non +P) is also a pleasant load.

Now days, you load and carry whatever you bought 6-12 months ago since there is very little to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

To calculate recoil force, use the link provided by MarkBinSC.

Four values are required.  
1. weight of the bullet.
2. velocity of the bullet.
3. weight of the gunpowder.
4. weight of the gun.

We don't know the weight of the gunpowder so you can just use a small number for that, like .1 grains or whatever. But use the same number for all calculations to keep it simple. It will calculate recoil force.

Recoil force is one thing, but recoil also has a subjective component often referred to as 'snappy' versus 'pushy'. Check the value for recoil velocity. Light bullets are usually labeled snappy, and heavy bullets pushy.

This is usually attributed to how quickly a bullet has to accelerate to reach its speed. Since light bullets go faster than heavy bullets, light bullets have to accelerate faster, and this is blamed for the 'snappy' feel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone who shoots a lot, uses a proper grip will experience less issues with recoil than a new shooter wilh little practice and a poor grip.
Many subcompact guns are labeled junk by people who do not shoot them well and have malfunctions due to poor grip and pistol management.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone who shoots a lot, uses a proper grip will experience less issues with recoil than a new shooter wilh little practice and a poor grip.
Many subcompact guns are labeled junk by people who do not shoot them well and have malfunctions due to poor grip and pistol management.
View Quote

That is certainly true.

But every Grand Master USPSA/IPSC shooter (who can shoot 80-100K per year) is always looking for the lightest recoiling, smoothest setup. So it's still intellectually stimulating to study recoil from various loads.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could shoot that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top