Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2021 5:43:47 PM EDT
Hello fine sirs.   I have this Walter P22 that I shot maybe 100 rounds out of this weekend.  Its probably got 300 total through it.  I took it out and it looked like there was some metal or something that was in the end of the barrel, enough that my boresnake would not come out.  I ran a cleaning rod down it, thinking I had some piece of jacket or something in there.  But looking at it now it looks chewed up.   This thing has always seemed like it had accuracy issues, could this be the reason?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty rough. Either get ahold of Walther, take it to a good gunsmith or get a muzzle recrown tool if you feel confident.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, get it re-crowned. Gunsmith is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I just sent an email to them with some pics.  We will see what their support is like but I hope to god I don't have to ship this back to them, last time I tried to ship a pistol around here it was a pain.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Lead?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lead?
View Quote

Looks like leading deposit to me. OP needs to scrub it good.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
A rat tail file and you’ll be good to go. You’re welcome. Btw, I’d never do that shot to my guns. Post after pics please.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just sent an email to them with some pics.  We will see what their support is like but I hope to god I don't have to ship this back to them, last time I tried to ship a pistol around here it was a pain.
View Quote

Should be able to send them the barrel only. Thus no FFL or laws to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I going with lead. Once clean, only shoot plated bullets. You may want to slug the barrel and see if bore is oversized.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if you guys are right, I'll have to give that barrel a good cleaning and see if that is lead.  Now that I think of it we did shoot a box of Fiocchi lead bullets.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Well it looks like it was just heavy lead.  

From shooting a single box of lead rounds I've never seen that much lead left behind.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well it looks like it was just heavy lead.  

From shooting a single box of lead rounds I've never seen that much lead left behind.
View Quote

We’re you shooting thunderbolts?

I recently shot around 300 rds of thunderbolts through my 10/22 which never had any leading issues, then all of the sudden I had MAJOR leading in the bore.

It took a bunch of ballistol and a carbon fiber cleaning rod with a bronze brush to get it all out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Any 22 should function fine with plain lead ammo, and not need to be limited to copper wash bullets ( no 22 LR is truly jacketed, except some very rare collectible ammo made for military purposes during WWII)
But as mentioned, some plain lead ammo is notorious for causing severe leading, and Remington thunderbolts are king of the hill here.
Good quality plain lead ammo is what pretty much all precision 22 shooters use, so it is not a bullet type problem as much as an ammo brand issue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any 22 should function fine with plain lead ammo, and not need to be limited to copper wash bullets ( no 22 LR is truly jacketed, except some very rare collectible ammo made for military purposes during WWII)
But as mentioned, some plain lead ammo is notorious for causing severe leading, and Remington thunderbolts are king of the hill here.
Good quality plain lead ammo is what pretty much all precision 22 shooters use, so it is not a bullet type problem as much as an ammo brand issue.
View Quote

100% agree, I’ve shot CCI Blazer 40 gr and 38 gr variety and no leading issues. It has only been with thunderbolts.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]
These were Fiocchi rounds I believe.  

I should have realized that when I cleaned it and a flake of lead came out of the bore.  I wasn't sure what it was and couldn't find it after I ran the rod though.   My first .22lr pistol and had never shot lead though it, and never had it that bad on my 597 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard of it, especially if the lead ammo was left in a hot car etc... and the wax lubricant melts off. Leads to heavy leading of the barrel. Friend of mine had dumped bulk lead ammo in an ammo can, and left it out in the sun one hot day, was a mess. I think I remember him saying he would give it away or toss it, no way he would shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
My P-22 did the same thing with Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets.  It's extreme lead build-up.  Use a Hoppes tornado steel coil brush and a few bronze brushes.  It took about an hour to clean all of it out of my barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top