Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 9:35:57 PM EDT
After looking at the pics some ofn them seem to give me pause. Is that flame cutting on the crane on the left side? Also looks like top strap erosion, maybe. Also, is it normal for those stocks to have a gap like that near the trigger guard? I realize that many will think I'm going to pay too much, but I don't mind so long as the revolver is in great shape. What do y'all think?

66-1 on Gun broker

UPDATE: I'm finally able to post about this piece after I picked it up. OH MAN! I love this gun!!!
This is truly in pristine condition. Very, very slight turn ring, it's so slight that I'm careful when closing the cylinder and make sure to close it where it latches with zero turning of the cylinder (revolver guys know what I mean), zero flash-cutting but very slight powder burn. The finish is exceptional with only one noticeable scratch near the right grip under the S&W logo. Speaking of grips, I asked my ffl if he removed them to prove the serial # but he didn't, he just went off the numbers on the box, which is also in great shape. Thankfully I had my trusty KLEIN 11 and 1 screwdriver!
When I removed the stocks they were dated 198-something. and they are NICE. I used some of my pipe wax to shine them up and now they look brand new.
Of course the action is perfect and tight, the trigger is magnificent and I can't wait to tek her through her paces.
All in all, I'm very happy with this buy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not seeing anything on it beyond fair wear and tear.

Grips look about par...
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, cool. I kinda thought so too but I guess I just needed some other eyes on it to give me affirmation. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing apparent or anything resembling abuse, flame cutting or erosion that I can see.  Humble bag thread.  Nice piece.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, GlockPride. No humble brag. Just got bid fever and then after I won it I started looking really, really close at the pics.
I saw the auction last night after looking for a 686 snubbie after reading the thread on here.
I've always wanted one of these early 66 snubbs. Been a grail gun of mine for years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking 66. I see nothing amiss, enjoy it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice looking 66. I see nothing amiss, enjoy it!
View Quote

Thanks @Actiondiver. I can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
No flame cutting . Just a damn nice revolver . Congrats.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was flame cut, you would clearly see evidence of it in the pictures provided.

That gun was fired very little. You can stiffen an action with a new spring kit to fool the unsuspecting into thinking that a gun it still tight like new, but you can't hide the cylinder notch peening, nor the wear to the recoil shield where the center pin scrubs in and out as you open and close the cylinder.

Your notches have little peening, and your recoil shield looks pretty close to new. I am unsure if the gun has original grips on it or not. People prize original when it comes to collecting S&W revolvers. Mine has the original magnas on it, but a nice set of combats are worth more. Your grips are probably worth 250/300 alone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Campus police chief at my college carried one just like that.

Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
There does seem to be a bit of top strap erosion visible on the right hand side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I bid on that too! Congrats on the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice gun.

How are you planning on carrying it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it was flame cut, you would clearly see evidence of it in the pictures provided.

That gun was fired very little. You can stiffen an action with a new spring kit to fool the unsuspecting into thinking that a gun it still tight like new, but you can't hide the cylinder notch peening, nor the wear to the recoil shield where the center pin scrubs in and out as you open and close the cylinder.

Your notches have little peening, and your recoil shield looks pretty close to new. I am unsure if the gun has original grips on it or not. People prize original when it comes to collecting S&W revolvers. Mine has the original magnas on it, but a nice set of combats are worth more. Your grips are probably worth 250/300 alone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3003/DSCN1000_JPG-1884481.JPG
View Quote

Ooh yes, yours looks very nice too, and you bring up some valid observations, thank you. I was looking into getting some magnas like yours and installing some Tyler T-grips, but I've always been a fan of the Combats.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There does seem to be a bit of top strap erosion visible on the right hand side.
View Quote

See, that's what I thought. Either that, or it's machine work from the factory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Thanks, it's still a little early, but I'll have one on a few hours. I just completed payment so hopefully it ships out today and I can pick it up by Thu.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bid on that.    
View Quote

You did? I was thinking of you when I saw the auction! I started looking around after that 686 thread and the snub-nose thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bid on that too! Congrats on the purchase.
View Quote

Thanks. I've been putting off getting one for too long. I figured the best way was to just jump in and damn the torpedoes. Funny, every time I'd get the itch to buy one, there would be none around. Then this one popped up. I guess they really don't pop up too often as a few off us bid on it also.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nice gun.

View Quote

Carry it??!!
LOL, jk. I'm thinking a nice OTW leather holster.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Carry it??!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice gun.

Carry it??!!

That gun was built to be carried and shot

Im laying on my couch with my 4mo daughter with my 2.75" m66-8 in a jmcustom aiwb. Most comfortable fullsized gun setup Ive ever used in my life.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That gun was built to be carried and shot

Im laying on my couch with my 4mo daughter with my 2.75" m66-8 in a jmcustom aiwb. Most comfortable fullsized gun setup Ive ever used in my life.
View Quote

Oh, I'm definitely going to shoot it, but I think it will probably go into my "BBQ Gun" rotation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats on a nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Congrats on a nice looking gun.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Three days ago on the S&W for sale forum a mint as new 66-1 popped up for sale  at $950.00 . It lasted exactly 1 minute .
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I realize that many will think I'm going to pay too much, but I don't mind so long as the revolver is in great shape.
View Quote

There's absolutely no question you paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much.  

Nothing wrong with the gun though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw the pics and I was going to say Im jealous. Then I saw the price. You got what you paid for man.

Nice gun. I couldn't pay that price but I understand that's the market right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Those types of prices on mint older guns are the new normal. A lot of people on the S&W forum seem to think the prices would drop if people stopped buying, but no one is stopping the buying.

Just try to find a nice pre lock L frame now for less than a grand. I'm not saying deals aren't out there, but they are few and far between. Last year I bought a 686 with the 8 3/8th in barrel for 600 bucks. This is a barrel length that is not one quickly snapped up. Now even those are a 1000 bucks. Covid has driven sales nuts.

Snub nosed revolvers bring the highest prices.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Three days ago on the S&W for sale forum a mint as new 66-1 popped up for sale  at $950.00 . It lasted exactly 1 minute .
View Quote

I stopped looking on that ee a long time ago. i would just get pissed because I would miss all of the guns before I could bid on them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's absolutely no question you paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much.  

Nothing wrong with the gun though.
View Quote

I've got a bad history with M66 revolvers, lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I saw the pics and I was going to say Im jealous. Then I saw the price. You got what you paid for man.

Nice gun. I couldn't pay that price but I understand that's the market right now.
View Quote

Yup. I'm pissed that I kept putting it off. Then I decided to bite the bullet and just get one now. It's like they say: i didn't pay too much, just too soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those types of prices on mint older guns are the new normal. A lot of people on the S&W forum seem to think the prices would drop if people stopped buying, but no one is stopping the buying.

Just try to find a nice pre lock L frame now for less than a grand. I'm not saying deals aren't out there, but they are few and far between. Last year I bought a 686 with the 8 3/8th in barrel for 600 bucks. This is a barrel length that is not one quickly snapped up. Now even those are a 1000 bucks. Covid has driven sales nuts.

Snub nosed revolvers bring the highest prices.
View Quote

That's why I thought I better get one now before the prices get even more insane. It's funny, I saw the auction and posted one bid about an hour before closing and then thought nothing of it. I haven't won one in a long time, almost started thinking that bots were were cheating me, haha! I was surprised when I looked the next morning and saw that I won.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I had grips just like that, the fitting was just as poor

Other may disagree but I don't think you can really tell if there is flamecutting from those photos, you really need to look up into the topstrap.

These guns weren't precision CNC'ed, you'll find tons of little machining and fitting differences from one sample to the next, totally normal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had grips just like that, the fitting was just as poor

Other may disagree but I don't think you can really tell if there is flamecutting from those photos, you really need to look up into the topstrap.

These guns weren't precision CNC'ed, you'll find tons of little machining and fitting differences from one sample to the next, totally normal.
View Quote

I've got two other model 66s and know what you mean about the machining.
Beautiful guns with their own little quirks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder what my 66-3 3 inch would fetch on Gun Broker......
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it one of the C S guns? If it is I wouldn't take less than 2 grand for it in this market.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

All Smith snubs are going for insane prices right now. I imagine the 3" would fetch a very nice premium. I need a 3 incher in my life.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Is it one of the C S guns? If it is I wouldn't take less than 2 grand for it in this market.
View Quote

Oops! I just remembered that the C S guns were 686s not 66s.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oops! I just remembered that the C S guns were 686s not 66s.
View Quote

I was actually looking for a 686 snub when I found this one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#40]
A pinned and recessed 66 would be too old to have factory combats. But those are way nicer and more valuable than the magnas it almost certainly came with.

$1400 OTD for the gun is not unreasonable right now. High retail, sure, but that's what you get on GB. If you want a steal right now, you're going to have to cheat a widow. Even the podunk pawn shops get on the Interwebz and check prices these days, it's not 1999, and older S&W revolvers are on fire.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice looking wheel gun.  I’m a sucker for 2.5” K frame magnums.  I’ve got some and it frightens me to see how much they’re going for now.  I’m glad I’ve got what I do.  I just can’t quite fathom what Smith wheel guns are going for now, especially compared to what I paid for some of mine.

Enjoy the crap out of that piece and don’t be scared to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A pinned and recessed 66 would be too old to have factory combats. But those are way nicer and more valuable than the magnas it almost certainly came with.

$1400 OTD for the gun is not unreasonable right now. High retail, sure, but that's what you get on GB. If you want a steal right now, you're going to have to cheat a widow. Even the podunk pawn shops get on the Interwebz and check prices these days, it's not 1999, and older S&W revolvers are on fire.
View Quote

Oh my gosh, you're not kidding about pawn shop prices! It used to be you could get a smoking deal here and there. Now they are far and few in between.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nice looking wheel gun.  I’m a sucker for 2.5” K frame magnums.  I’ve got some and it frightens me to see how much they’re going for now.  I’m glad I’ve got what I do.  I just can’t quite fathom what Smith wheel guns are going for now, especially compared to what I paid for some of mine.

Enjoy the crap out of that pice and don’t be scared to shoot it.
View Quote

Oh I'm gonna shoot it. But yeah, prices are nuts right now and Smiths have been steadily going up for years, ramping up especially these past few since Smith came out with those "new" guns. People are scooping up all the pre-locks that they can and the prices reflect that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#44]
UPDATE: I'm finally able to post about this piece after I picked it up. OH MAN! I love this gun!!!
This is truly in pristine condition. Very, very slight turn ring, it's so slight that I'm careful when closing the cylinder and make sure to close it where it latches with zero turning of the cylinder (revolver guys know what I mean), zero flash-cutting but very slight powder burn. The finish is exceptional with only one noticeable scratch near the right grip under the S&W logo. Speaking of grips, I asked my ffl if he removed them to prove the serial # but he didn't, he just went off the number off the box, which is also in decent shape. Thankfully I had my trusty KLEIN 11 and 1 screwdriver!
When I removed the stocks they were dated 198-something. and they are NICE. I used some of my pipe wax to shine them up and now they look brand new.
Of course the action is perfect and tight, the trigger is magnificent and I can't wait to tek her through her paces.
All in all, I'm very happy with this buy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't worry about the turn line. The bolt will drag with normal shooting.

Closing the cylinder so the notch aligns with the notch does nothing
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure it does. If the revolver is properly timed and in good working order, the cylinder stop will not touch the cylinder until it reaches the divot before the notch. At least that how my Colt revolvers work.
I think most of the turn-line happens from opening and closing the cylinder and then manually turning to lock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#48]
well looks like a good use of those "Biden Bucks"...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sure it does. If the revolver is properly timed and in good working order, the cylinder stop will not touch the cylinder until it reaches the divot before the notch. At least that how my Colt revolvers work.
I think most of the turn-line happens from opening and closing the cylinder and then manually turning to lock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt and Smith's dont work the same except for post mklll guns.

If you shoot it or dryfire you'll get a turn ring
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Colt and Smith's dont work the same except for post mklll guns.

If you shoot it or dryfire you'll get a turn ring
View Quote

OK, I checked a couple of my Smiths and my Ruger Redhawk. The Smiths worked like I posted earlier and the Ruger's hand actually came up at about halfway through the cycle, so yeah, a Ruger will show a cylinder ring ( at least halfway) even if you're careful with it.
I didn't want to dig around to find a Colt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top