Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2020 12:33:55 PM EDT
I currently have a early 80's production High Standard Victor that I think I need to retire. I shoot probably 5-10K rounds a year through it and have to keep replacing all the fire control parts as they seem to wear out quickly. Replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find and in general the rest of the pistol is just getting worn out. I absolutely love this pistol but I think it's time to look for a comparable replacement. It's all stock and I'd like something with regular open sights. From what I can see, the S&W model 41 is what I should consider. It's more than I want to spend but considering how much I use it and it's a gun that goes to the range everytime, it's something I'll have to do. Has anyone shot both the Victor (or any HS target pistol) and the S&W 41 and how do they compare in handling, weight, feel, and trigger feel? Would it be a smooth transition? Are any of you with a model 41 not happy with it and have regrets? And lastly, is it well supported and relatively easy to have serviced or purchase replacement parts (which I'm sure will be necessary at some point considering how much I shoot it? I'd appreciate any comments or opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the Ruger MK-IV crowd chimes in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, and I may as well add, I also have a Ruger MK IV 22/45 lite with a red dot and volquartsen trigger upgrade which I almost exclusively shoot suppressed and it's not even close to the feel and balance of the Victor so I'm looking for something that's most similar, which I'm guessing is the Model 41 unless there are similar options.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a HS Citation 7.5" with the cap screwed on barrel as well as a 5.5" M41.... the grips on the M41 are more filling and don't really transfer the same handling as the  1911 feeling HS...to me, they are different animals... the HS was originally for .22 IHMSA Metallic Silhouette pistol (it replaced a 5.5" Trophy which was a better gun)...when we started shooting the Sportsman's Team Challenge I shot it the first year, but switched to the M41 which I now use for Steel Challenge... I haven't shot the HS regularly since obtaining the M41... I've never had to replace any parts on the M41, though I do have a spare bolt face... it is shot exclusively with high velocity ammo... bought it in 1996 used for $350

I think the SW .22 Victory would be a closer match to the HS,,, possibly even a Buckmark... Ruger has some super light weight pistols for the Steel Challenge game... regards
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a high standard for many years in bullseye competition and completely wore it out ( it was a used 1960’s era gun when I got it in the 80’s and when I sold it got more for it than my original purchase price of $200, because a gunsmith wanted it for the parts.
Unless you are shooting bullseye competition, a Ruger mark series gun or browning buck mark, among others will be adequate. As far as refinement the model 41 is indeed closest to the old victor.
The much less expensive Ruger or browning is not going to give you that same elegant feel as the victor or a 41, but you can buy 2 of the less expensive guns for the cost of one model 41.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot a high standard for many years in bullseye competition and completely wore it out ( it was a used 1960’s era gun when I got it in the 80’s and when I sold it got more for it than my original purchase price of $200, because a gunsmith wanted it for the parts.
Unless you are shooting bullseye competition, a Ruger mark series gun or browning buck mark, among others will be adequate. As far as refinement the model 41 is indeed closest to the old victor.
The much less expensive Ruger or browning is not going to give you that same elegant feel as the victor or a 41, but you can buy 2 of the less expensive guns for the cost of one model 41.
View Quote

I was heavily leaning towards the model 41, and your post pretty much sealed the deal for me. It's a gun I'll shoot the most, and I'll keep it for life, so I may as well do it right the first time. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
One that is almost always overlooked, but is an awesome little rimfire pistol is the Sig/Hammerli Trailside. If you are considering a 41 you should shoot one of these also. I have owned both (each for over 2 years) and I won't say the Trailside is a better pistol than the model 41, but I do shoot almost exactly the same with either. Of course everyone knows the 41 is an accurate and well made pistol, and the Trailside is right there with it in my opinion, but can be had for about $500 for a new or like new one, or if you get one with the nicer blue laminate grips they usually go for $550-$600. You can get them in 2 different size barrels I believe, with the 6" being the longest and I think the other is a 4.5". Anyway, just another one to throw in the mix! You guys have a good one.

*Another one that I meant to mention that is also a really wicked, accurate, and super well made  rimfire pistol is the Beretta 87 Target. But expect to pay $750 or so. But once again, it will shoot with a 41 all day long if not better.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The Victor is an excellent target pistol and when it is properly set up, it is accurate and reliable. The parts should still be available through Alan Aaronstein, you can find the contact info on Rimfirecentral in the H.S. subforum. I shoot a Swiss Hammerli International for decades and parts for that gun are much harder to find than for a H.S. but they are known for durability and longevity. The FN Herstal International Medalist 150 is equally well known for durability and longevity. Those FNs easily go past 100,000 rounds without any parts breakage. They can be found used for around the same price as a Victor.

I compared a few of the classics over the years.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If your looking for more of a 1911 feel in the 41. Herrett Trainers.  Put some on mine and love them. http://www.herrettstocks.com/trnrflat.htm
https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/herrett-sw-41-grips/
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I believe I got mine from Herretts or Clarks.  Can't remember.  But it was within the last 5years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to give an update. I did by a S&W Model 41 and had a chance to shoot it for the first time this weekend. I love this pistol. It really is a close alternative to the Victor. The Victor has served me well for the last 35 years and I'm sure the S&W will serve me just as well. In the meantime, I did replace some parts on the Victor and I've come to the conclusion that the issue I'm having is that the slide is worn out. Even with a new trigger bar, the hammer does not want to consistently reset. As best as I can tell, the slide has worn down enough that it will not press the trigger bar low enough to reset the sear. I had to peen the trigger bar to stretch it to ride higher but I'm sure that given enough time, that will wear down again. I'll keep an eye out for another slide, but even doing that, the Victor just feels so much sloppier and loose. It's served me well and will now become a heirloom to pass on down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got an old 50's era High Standard that is easily the best .22 I've ever shot.  If I had to find anything comparable today it would be the S&W 41.  I will have one some day.  

I'm a MK III nut but they never have the trigger that the old High Standard has.  I went shopping today for a 41 for my son for Christmas, came home with yet another Ruger.  He's getting a MKIII with a 7 inch fluted barrel for his first handgun.  But he'll still grab the HS every chance he gets because, well, it's just a fine fine pistol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
kind of an update, and a niche response... I've replaced the M41 for Steel Challenge with a Ruger MKIV lite...I don't need the precision that the M41 afforded (not that I've ever really shot the MKIV for groups), and had problems with the thumb forward grip I now use interfering with the slide on the M41... a large window Holosun 510 and a Tandem Kross brake complete the package... the top break really makes chamber and bolt face cleaning a breeze... not a whole lot of trigger control in my Steel Challenge shooting...regards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top