Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 8:31:12 PM EDT
I purchased a Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS today, and I'd like to buy a red dot for it. When my Rugged Obsidian gets out of jail I will mount it as well. I have never used a pistol red dot before. Which model should I buy for "general pistol purposes?" I've watched a few videos, and the reticle which includes a very large ghost ring to indicate you should adjust where you're pointing is intriguing to me, but I'm fully open to suggestions.

As a side note, do people bother buying suppressor height night sights for pistols with quality optics on them?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for an Eotech style reticle (65 MOA big circle and small center dot) then Holosun is what you seek.  Don't let the Holosun name fool you, they are the real deal.
Sage Dynamics has beat the bejesus out of them and they have held up really really well. 507, 508, 509 are all great.  The solar panels are more than a gimmick, they actually work and extend the battery life out significantly.
All of the recent versions you can change the battery without removing optic from the gun.
Downside is they are China made - that deters a lot of people.  Sadly there is not anything like it domestically made...yet.
If you want to buy American and want rugged, stick with whatever gen Trijicon RMR is the most recent gen.  If you want a mostly rugged version of the RMR but geared more towards competition, check out the SRO.

Suppressor sights are a personal choice.  I put them on mine - it just makes me feel a little better having a backup sight if needed.  Lots of guys take the sights off completely or just leave the stock/low sights on and call it a day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an RMR TYPE 2 RM06 with the 3.25 MOA dot.
It's the LED one and I like it.
It takes some getting used to.
Worked on dry firing from the draw a lot so I wasn't totally wasting ammo.
RMR
Sage Dynamics on youtube has a great series on red dot pistol, very informative.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are looking for an Eotech style reticle (65 MOA big circle and small center dot) then Holosun is what you seek.  Don't let the Holosun name fool you, they are the real deal.
Sage Dynamics has beat the bejesus out of them and they have held up really really well. 507, 508, 509 are all great.  The solar panels are more than a gimmick, they actually work and extend the battery life out significantly.
All of the recent versions you can change the battery without removing optic from the gun.
Downside is they are China made - that deters a lot of people.  Sadly there is not anything like it domestically made...yet.
If you want to buy American and want rugged, stick with whatever gen Trijicon RMR is the most recent gen.  If you want a mostly rugged version of the RMR but geared more towards competition, check out the SRO.

Suppressor sights are a personal choice.  I put them on mine - it just makes me feel a little better having a backup sight if needed.  Lots of guys take the sights off completely or just leave the stock/low sights on and call it a day.
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The circle I was referring to appears to be called the ACSS Vulcan. You're not supposed to see the ring while the aiming point is in view.

Unfortunately I'm in a pretty anti China mood these days. Of the RMR models, which dot size would you suggest for general plinking, self defense, and the like? I don't compete. Oh, and I would be mounting a light. Is there a reticle that works best against a brightly illuminated target?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have an RMR TYPE 2 RM06 with the 3.25 MOA dot.
It's the LED one and I like it.
It takes some getting used to.
Worked on dry firing from the draw a lot so I wasn't totally wasting ammo.
RMR
Sage Dynamics on youtube has a great series on red dot pistol, very informative.

View Quote

Thank you, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Dot size is a personal preference thing too.  I usually stick small and then just turn it up brighter if I want "bigger".
So like 2-3.25 MOA is a good starting point.
For plinking, fast shots up close (defense), 6 MOA is totally fine, I doubt you would notice a difference.

I compete with my red dots, so small head shots at 25 yards means I like a little more precision.
As other smarter folks here have said before - "you can make a smaller dot bigger by making it brighter but you can't make a bigger dot small no matter what you do."

Flashlights - you will be fine.  RMRs, Holosuns, Sigs - all of them when you crank them up the red dot is freaking blindingly bright.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dot size is a personal preference thing too.  I usually stick small and then just turn it up brighter if I want "bigger".
So like 2-3.25 MOA is a good starting point.
For plinking, fast shots up close (defense), 6 MOA is totally fine, I doubt you would notice a difference.

I compete with my red dots, so small head shots at 25 yards means I like a little more precision.
As other smarter folks here have said before - "you can make a smaller dot bigger by making it brighter but you can't make a bigger dot small no matter what you do."

Flashlights - you will be fine.  RMRs, Holosuns, Sigs - all of them when you crank them up the red dot is freaking blindingly bright.
View Quote

Thanks. I think I'll go with that RM06 type 2. That's the one I thought I was looking at closest before I started this thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an RMR and an SRO, and the latter wins, hands down.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an RMR and an SRO, and the latter wins, hands down.
View Quote

In what respects?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered. Holy fuck I spent a lot of money today...
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The RM06 is the gold-standard.  You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Also ordered a 22 silencer. Better get a good crop this year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Rm-06 3.25moa type 2

I like mine and it's an excellent duty optic

My sro is a 1moa dot and honestly it seems very close in size to the 3.25 of the rmr that said the huge window of the sro makes it much easier to shoot fast. At least until you get enough reps in.

I have 1 holosun a 515 on an AR pistol and it seems to do fine, but it's made in the country I consider the usa's biggest threat. And that said I'd prefer to buy elsewhere. I only bought that one because people stated they were sharper but my eyes can't tell.

I will try the primary arms cyclops gen 2 because prism sight but honestly if an American or European company made something competitive at a slightly higher price I'd likely pass on the primary arms optics.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

What did you pay for the RM06?  I need another one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

500 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]
RMR TYPE 2 RM06 with the 3.25 MOA dot.

^This is the way if going RMR.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#16]
RM06 or HRS and don’t forget the FCD plate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
RM06 or HRS and don’t forget the FCD plate.
View Quote

Is that the very thin waterproofing plate? I ordered one of those.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
OP make sure you upgrade to a C& H base plate over the stock MOS plate. It is a much needed upgrade.

ENJOY!

Bev
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#19]
In regard to suppressor sights, yes I think they are still warranted. If nothing else, it helps to find the dot. The MOS system needs a little latter sight than normal suppressor sights.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Keep in mind if you are shooting an rds pistol suppressed you will be wiping the lens off every 2-3 mags.
Ejection port gassing suppressed is a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP make sure you upgrade to a C& H base plate over the stock MOS plate. It is a much needed upgrade.

ENJOY!

Bev
View Quote

70 bucks. What benefit does it provide?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In regard to suppressor sights, yes I think they are still warranted. If nothing else, it helps to find the dot. The MOS system needs a little latter sight than normal suppressor sights.
View Quote

Thank you.
Quoted:
Keep on mind if you are shooting an rds pistol suppressed you will be wiping the lens off every 2-3 mags.
View Quote

Gotcha, thanks. Is that the kind of thing I should keep a fine cloth in my shooting bag, or is a wipe with a t shirt good enough?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you.

Gotcha, thanks. Is that the kind of thing I should keep a fine cloth in my shooting bag, or is a wipe with a t shirt good enough?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Quoted:
Keep on mind if you are shooting an rds pistol suppressed you will be wiping the lens off every 2-3 mags.

I keep a towel in my shooting bag.  Pointing a pistol at your junk while wiping it with your shirt may be frowned upon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I keep a towel in my shooting bag.  Pointing a pistol at your junk while wiping it with your shirt may be frowned upon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Quoted:

Good call.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted: 500 on Amazon.
View Quote
Be careful!  Amazon is notorious for selling fakes!  I'm not sure which Amazon seller you used.  If you look at the one-star reviews (9% of the total reviews) for this seller, you'll see they've sold dozens and dozens of fake RM06's.  I suspect the actual number is much higher, but the customers didn't realize the RM06 was fake.  Note the "Sport Type" in the product listing is "Airsoft".  

I just checked gun.deals.  It looks like RM06's are going for about $440 (including shipping).  Of course, you may have to wait a while to receive your order depending on which cut-throat online reseller you choose.

I think you'll be fine.  Just make sure the Amazon RM06 isn't a fake.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted: I just checked gun.deals.  It looks like RM06's are going for about $440 (including shipping).  Of course, you may have to wait a while to receive your order depending on which cut-throat online reseller you choose.
View Quote
ETA:  I just looked up what I've paid for my RM06's in the past, dating back several years.  I've paid between $420 and $450.  $420 was EuroOptic in September 2019.  Considering the current frenzy, I'd say $440 is a pretty good price.  As I mentioned, given the current frenzy, shipping times may be considerably longer (e.g., Dack Outdoors over 30 days).  However, I ordered an Aimpoint PRO from Tombstone Tactical on April 21.  I received the shipping notice on April 22.  It was delivered on April 24.  Obviously, Tombstone Tactical doesn't fit in the same category as Dack Outdoors (strictly a drop-shipper through distributors like RSR Group).
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Be careful!  Amazon is notorious for selling fakes!  I'm not sure which Amazon seller you used.  If you look at the one-star reviews (9% of the total reviews) for this seller, you'll see they've sold dozens and dozens of fake RM06's.  I suspect the actual number is much higher, but the customers didn't realize the RM06 was fake.  Note the "Sport Type" in the product listing is "Airsoft".  

I just checked gun.deals.  It looks like RM06's are going for about $440 (including shipping).  Of course, you may have to wait a while to receive your order depending on which cut-throat online reseller you choose.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348220/Trijicon_RMR_png-1931824.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: 500 on Amazon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348220/Trijicon_RMR_png-1931824.JPG

That's the exact listing I bought. What should I look for when it arrives? If it's fake I'll do a chargeback with my CC company, they're great with stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted: That's the exact listing I bought. What should I look for when it arrives? If it's fake I'll do a chargeback with my CC company, they're great with stuff like that.
View Quote
If you read the one-star reviews, several reviewers explain how they identified a fake.  Most are obvious.  Some are more subtle.  If you Google "fake trijicon rmr", you'll find several YouTube videos on the subject.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you read the one-star reviews, several reviewers explain how they identified a fake.  Most are obvious.  Some are more subtle.  If you Google "fake trijicon rmr", you'll find several YouTube videos on the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: That's the exact listing I bought. What should I look for when it arrives? If it's fake I'll do a chargeback with my CC company, they're great with stuff like that.

OK thanks. I'm nervous. Hope I get a real one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted: OK thanks. I'm nervous. Hope I get a real one.
View Quote
Didn't mean to make you nervous.  Just don't want you spending $500 on a $20 airsoft optic.  Hopefully, Amazon has cleaned up their act in this regard.

This happens to be an MRO.  The fake is on the left (serial number 1608160).

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Good choice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Two tips that I received here and feel obligated to pass along.

1. Get the FCD RMR plate it’s rock solid and a big improvement over the OEM plates.

2. If you want black suppressor height sights, the Ameriglo GL-429s line up perfect for a lower 1/4 BUIS sight picture.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top