Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2018 11:09:26 PM EDT
A 10mm 1911 will be my next big gun purchase but I keep going around and around on the brand make and model.....
When I say 'how good?' I guess I mean I am just looking for a good reliable accurate shooter that I can carry when I want. I know standard production Colts aren't the pinnacle of refinement....And I am okay with that.

I am looking for input here. Is it worth it, at the price point? The current production ones look fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one, the one in my avatar. It’s never had a malfunction in the time I’ve owned it. I had Evolution Armory do some mods to it, but it ran before them. Frame to slide fit was excellent as was the thumb safety. I just like checkering and night sights.

Still has factory non ramped barrel and I’ve have no issues with bulging casings. When I carry it CCW,
I use Speer Gold Dot.

Springfield TRP’s look nice too but have a rail.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one, the one in my avatar. It’s never had a malfunction in the time I’ve owned it. I had Evolution Armory do some mods to it, but it ran before them. Frame to slide fit was excellent as was the thumb safety. I just like checkering and night sights.

Still has factory non ramped barrel and I’ve have no issues with bulging casings. When I carry it CCW,
I use Speer Gold Dot.

Springfield TRP’s look nice too but have a rail.
View Quote
I like it!  Does the stock grip panel have a recess for an ambi safety?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Much better off buying a Dan Wesson in 10mm especially. Colt has improved the ramp on the Delta but it is still not as good as a ramped barrel especially for some of the really hot 10mm.. That and the DW aid just a better made gun overall with a much better fit and finish as well all the parts used are of better quality throughout the gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like it!  Does the stock grip panel have a recess for an ambi safety?
View Quote
I think so. It’s got vz’s on it now, I’ll dig em out and confirm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Bigger picture.

Dan Wesson makes nice guns, and I spent enough to buy one, but I wanted a Delta.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113283/9B24F06D-816E-498B-94CD-789A1520BADF-545217.JPG

Bigger picture.

Dan Wesson makes nice guns, and I spent enough to buy one, but I wanted a Delta.
View Quote
You might have just sold a Delta Elite
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked the stock grip panels. They are not cut for an ambi safety. They are rubber though, and a little dremmel work should be easy. Some of the safeties, like they Wilson bullet proof, don’t require the cutout.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know, but I'm about to find out; I have one on layaway that I'll be picking up soon as I get home from overseas.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I love mine, bought it around 2013. No issues at all. I shoot 180 XTP through it at around 1410fps and have had no issues with chamber support . The sites on it are the cheaper ones from the factory and I want to upgrade but the damn thing is so accurate I hate to have them changed.

As a plus when I wear it the wife says it her favorite gun on me ....so there that
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Put me in the ambivalent camp.  They are acceptable in terms of quality and reliability, but not remarkable.  What you get in comparison to other entries at the same price point is the Colt name and history, and not a whole lot of features.  Contrary to other opinion, I find case support and feeding to be worse on the new production Deltas when compared to the older models, but some of that may reflect the variability in what comes off the Colt line.

I sent one of mine out to Nighthawk to be completely gutted and rebuilt, and I love it.  But I like my Kimber Eclipse better than the stock Deltas.

This is the blended ramped barrel on my custom Delta:

This is my stock Delta Rail:

This is the case support on my stock Delta non-rail next to the stock Kimber barrel:

They work fine with new production ammo, and carry the Colt legacy, and I think that makes them an acceptable choice for the price point.  But you get a lot more at just a short price jump up to Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I want one!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
You want a ramped barrel in order to safely shoot full power 10mm.  I mean why would you buy a 10mm and shoot what is essentially a .40

I don't believe the Delta Elites have a ramped barrel (more case support) But it is an expensive modification.
Also the Delta Elite logo is the same as Alcoholics Anonymous, so they have that going for them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
For my first 10mm 1911, I went with STI. Never had a second thought about it.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Money no object...? I’d buy the Colt and immediately send it to a top shop for full blown package with my specs.

Realistically.... I’d buy a Dan Wesson and have a couple mods done.

The 10mm is a great round and 1911s rock but I haven’t gone down the path of combining those two things.

I’m a TRP fan and had high hopes but they didn’t go with the 20LPI checkering I prefer so I’m skipping it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is 5 years old and it is so good bone stock that I hunt deer with it. I reload and found a nice warm load for 180 XTP that drill a Skoal can all day long at 50 yards off a bench and rest. How much better you want?  The Colt is my bad weather/cornfield gun. I shoot a Nighthawk 10mm long slide the rest of the time. The Colt keeps right up until I get over 60 yards or so.
I've never felt the need to load 10MM so hot as to worry about the ramped barrel. If I need that much power I'll grab a 44 Mag. A middle of the charts 10mm is still a substantial load.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I honestly didn't realize they still made Delta Elites. I thought they were made in the 80s then died when the 10mm fad faded.

I recently saw a Delta Elite at the gun store and I picked it up right away. Not a single regret and I ordered some Wilson 10mm mags to complement my 3 Colt 10mm mags that came with.

Overall I'm impressed. Do get it if you see one. After seeing it at the store, I done some research for the Delta and it appears to have been in production for a while now with a lot of improvements. I can't comment on the originals but the new one I picked up is pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113283/9B24F06D-816E-498B-94CD-789A1520BADF-545217.JPG

Bigger picture.

View Quote
Well I think I am going to order a delta rail gun.

I have always thought delta elites were cool, everything from the history of them to the name of them. And I don’t own a railed 1911.

After watching Ian’s video on them it kind of pushed me over the edge.

Not to mention I used to play a pc game many years ago called delta force, hence me liking the name and it triggering my nostalgia.

And I really miss my colt xse and don’t currently own a colt 1911.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think so. It’s got vz’s on it now, I’ll dig em out and confirm.
View Quote
Just ordered mine. Where did you get the grips with the delta logo and thumb scoop?

@jpd158
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You won’t be disappointed!

I ordered some Delta medallions off Amazon and then had VZ cut a set of their grips to match. Was time consuming as it took 6 weeks, but I had it done while Evolution Armory had my Delta.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top