Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2024 8:55:44 PM EDT
I'm not a gunsmith and don't pretend do be one. My hands have gotten more shaky as I age (especially after the stroke), so should I attempt it or send it to a pro?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#1]
That trigger pin is a mfer, sometimes requires a press.

Use phosphated mags and the trigger pull will be just as smooth as with it removed and the reset is better.  

If you do get it out you need a Wolff standard power two coil trigger return spring.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#2]
I bought a Girsan MC P35 in August and removed the magazine safety.  I watched a video and did mine.   I decided to remove the trigger which required drifting out the trigger pin.   The magazine safety is a plunger attached to the rear of the trigger. You drift out a very small pin to remove the magazine safety.   Re-install the trigger and drift the trigger pin back into the frame.   I suggest you watch a video before attempting the removal.   I believe the Grisan MC P35 is a copy of a Mark III FN High Power.   I read  some earlier versions of the High Power didn’t require removing the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Removal requires less time to do than to tell about it.  No replacement springs or jimcracks needed, much less designer magazines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
That trigger pin is a mfer, sometimes requires a press.

Use phosphated mags and the trigger pull will be just as smooth as with it removed and the reset is better.  

If you do get it out you need a Wolff standard power two coil trigger return spring.

View Quote

Yea this, in theory it’s very easy. Maybe so with the newer clones, but on my 90s FN the trigger pin was really in there. Took a really big hammer, I was scared of denting the frame and almost gave up to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Simple, knock out the teeny pin, work out the safety, done.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't be surprised if the trigger improvement is less than you thought it would be.  The biggest improvement is the mags drop free.  The trigger itself may get better, it may not.  It won't be anything magical, it's still a Hi Power trigger with all the limitations of the design.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
Removal requires less time to do than to tell about it.  No replacement springs or jimcracks needed, much less designer magazines.
View Quote
Same as my experience with a true mid-70s commercial Browning High Power.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Did mine a few years ago. Watched a video, took my time and it was not bad. My trigger is much better but as always ymmv.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Don't be surprised if the trigger improvement is less than you thought it would be.  The biggest improvement is the mags drop free.  The trigger itself may get better, it may not.  It won't be anything magical, it's still a Hi Power trigger with all the limitations of the design.
View Quote

My bedside gun is a S&W Sigma, so trigger improvements are not my goal here.

I just don't want to have to drag the mag out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You gotta drive the trigger axis pin out.

The one on my Belgian Browning took GREAT VIOLENCE to dislodge. A brass punch just deformed and shattered. I finally got it out with a STEEL punch and a 4-pound hammer.

And I scratched the frame.

The frame already had lots of scratches. Now it has one more.

If you are worried about scratching the frame, figure out a way (maybe some sort of jig) to contain the punch so it cannot slip.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine took a press to remove.  Not joking.  No regular punch could get that pin out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
Mine took a press to remove.  Not joking.  No regular punch could get that pin out.
View Quote

The browning/FN ones are pressed into place and sometimes staked in place.  
Your best bet if you don't have a press is to use a vise with a steel pin and a nut on the other side, that's what I did and it came right out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So easy that I removed mine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I tried it on an older one where you only need to remove the pin the from the slide and the disconnect pops right out. I was very close to giving up, I was hitting that pin so hard I was legitimately afraid I was going to crack the slide. But it eventually gave.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried to remove the pin on my 90s-era Mk3 and that bastard wasn’t moving for anything.  Scratched the frame a little and broke the punch.  Fortunately it is a surplus gun with a little bit of love already.  

The wildly inconsistent force required to drive these out is crazy.  I just learned to live with it and when the SA-35 came out, got one to live the disconnect-free experience.  Honestly it doesn’t hurt the trigger that much, keep things lubed and clean and it should wear in nicely.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I watched a video and did both of my HiPowers, a 1986 Belgian 9mm and a 1995 .40S&W Practical, a while ago. I didn't know this at the time, but the method for removing the disconnect varies slightly, depending on what version you have. Regardless, they came out easy. I think most people have a hard time with the pin because there's a trick to removing them. When you do it the right way, there is no need to beat the pin out, it just pushes out. The trigger difference is amazing with the 9mm benefitting more, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a Browning HP right before they discontinued. Couple years ago I watched a bunch of vids and removed the mag safety.  It wasn’t a huge effort though did require a steel punch and firm (but not crazy) whack from a hammer. I did replace the trigger reset spring as recommended after feeling how spongy it was. Between the 2 changes I dropped trigger pull about 1-1&1/2 lbs. considering the original pull was around 10lbs, it was worth doing.  I later replaced all the springs and trigger is now around 7-8 lbs.   but it feels and shoots like a much lighter trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top