Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2018 9:50:38 PM EDT
A friend brought his FDE PMR for me to fondle
a few days ago. I have had an interest in these
since they came out for use a trail gun.

Have the bugs been worked out?

My interest has been re-kindled now that
they seem to be available below MSRP.

Input please.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Sold mine. Feeding and functioning flawed with a variety of ammo

The only Kel-Tec that I never had a problem with is my P3AT

I’ve tried and ditched three different Kel-Tec handguns over the years and will never buy another. Customer service receives pistol, allegedly fixed it, sends it back, same shit. Sadly it took me three pistols to learn my lesson (second .380, a 9 mm, and the PMR). I SO VERY WANTED the PMR to work well, I really enjoy the .22 WMR
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
My PMR functions perfectly.  CCI MAXI-MAG 40gr HP is all I have ever tried in it.

I overpaid for it, but I like it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing that DOESN'T work in my PMR is Winchester Super X.

CCI and PMC work best in it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#4]
6 months in and no issues unless I rush loading the mag.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you clarify how you load them?

Thanks!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Few videos on youtube that show how to load them to 30 and not get rimlock.

Took my CMR out this weekend, and it ran great as usual. Hoping to pick up a PMR soon.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!

Quoted:
Load 5, tap the mag to seat'em against the back. Lather, rinse, repeat until full.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

Quoted:

Load 5, tap the mag to seat'em against the back. Lather, rinse, repeat until full.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Few videos on youtube that show how to load them to 30 and not get rimlock.

Took my CMR out this weekend, and it ran great as usual. Hoping to pick up a PMR soon.
View Quote
I kinda want to SBR a CMR.
Poor man's MP7

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Me too!!! SBR with my Spectre 2 would be awesome.

Once I move back to Idaho, Ill be getting that done.

Edit: Pick I found before I picking mine up. Cant wait!

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one August of last year.

As above, if I've loaded the mags right, I've had no issues.  The manual says they perform better with 40 grain loads so that's what I've used.  Interesting I bought a mag load for it, after reading on Amazon how necessary it was for proper loading.  And the only jams I've had are when I've used it to load the mags.

So just load them up by hand, making sure that the rims are properly in the rim grove, and stair stepped above each other, and it works fine - even full 30 round loading are not an issue.

If you shop on GB, you can pick one up for 330 ish or so, and they're a bargain at that price for what you get.  An accurate, very light, powerful pistol that holds 30 rounds in a flush mag.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked one up last year via a PSA sale, i have wanted one since they first came out, but the prices went out of control pretty quickly.

I paid about $330 for mine + transfer

Mags are sensitive to how you load them, i picked up a loading tool for about $10 or $12 off of amazon.
It really helps!

Using the recommend ammo and the loading tool + paying attention when loading, mine runs like a top.

So far i have had 0 issues, runs like a top and quite accurate.

I also noticed some finishing work to the bottom of my slide, where the hammer rides when cycling.

That area was very polished, it seemed odd for keltec to spend the extra time. But that saved me a little time from my usual "fluff and buff" that i find most keltecs need out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought mine new a few years ago, first few hundred rounds were fine, then it started having feed issues. I think it was just dirty and I wasn’t cleaning enough.
Armscor ammo also leaves a lot of unburnt powder behind, like sand.
I think I was over-lubricating as well.

One other issue I had, and just recently, the bolt face was developing a half moon shaped wear spot, and it was just enough to occasionally keep rounds from fully rising to feed. I only noticed it when someone else posted the issue. Must not be a common problem as I’ve not read about it since. A quick filing fixed it.

They can be reliable, at least as reliable as other rimfires if you load the mags correctly. The speed loader I use has a spring loaded plunger that pushes the round by the rim into the mag, for me it reduced failures.

I do have to say, mine isn’t as accurate as my old 80’s High Standard and for protection, a revolver is less troublesome. But still a lot of fun. I also just picked up a RIA XT-22 magnum, I’m curious to see if it beats the PMR on reliability & accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one a few weeks ago so its a 2019 production and as long as you follow the mag loading procedure Kel Tec recommends it functions reliably.  However if you try to load it by just cramming rounds in it fails to feed correctly.  Really a good shooter and lots of fun!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Somebody here has an SBR 10.5” CMR SUPPRESSED

Unfortunately KT says suppressing the PMR is bad.

I’d like to have one to go with my CMR
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2.
I read the manwell on how to load the magazines but I'll describe how I do it.
I push the first round all the way back.
Then I don't push the next one all the way back I stop 1/8 to 1/4 from all the way.
Then I use the proceeding round to push the previous round all the way in.
I do have one magazine that gives me trouble.

As far as ammo, after 200 rounds or so, I use nearly anything.
Hornaday 30gr has worked fine.
CCi anything does as well.
Winchester regular superx was fine.
Armsacor brass case was very dirty and pistol needed cleaning sooner.

I had trouble loosing the fiber optic rods out of the rear.
Taking the rear cover off, I used a soldering pencil to mark those up so they can't come loose.

Tried a cheepo electronic site on one but the recoil crapped it out in short order.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I think loading the mag carefully is one key to successful function... I have tried the magazine loading aides (maglula) and they result in some f'd up load unless you are really paying attention...

with CCI ammo and magazines loaded correctly, mine runs like a top...

mine is second gen (non-fluted barrel)
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 1st gen PMR30.  My only problem was keyholing of 40gr bullets.  Once keltec replaced that, I haven't had any problems stabilizing 40gr bullets.  My gun even shoots fine with the not recommended ammo .    Winchester 30gr Varmint HV is the only ammo not working, it short strokes.

Quoted:
I think loading the mag carefully is one key to successful function... I have tried the magazine loading aides (maglula) and they result in some f'd up load unless you are really paying attention...

with CCI ammo and magazines loaded correctly, mine runs like a top...

mine is second gen (non-fluted barrel)
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Well a bit of an update, I have had two instances where I had the rim of a case blow out.  The only damage was the slide release tab blew off both times.  Kel Tec sent me replacements.  After the second malfunction I polished the feed ramp and chamber and installed a Tandemkross Victory trigger and have had no more malfunctions. Funny thing is that mine runs great on the cheap Armscor ammo!

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I finally had an issue with my PMR.
The firing pin broke!

I only noticed when I was installing an RMR mount...
Glad I found it before I went to the range!

Granted I have dry fired it a bunch, and it is a rim fire...
Disappointing since I liked to play with that thing.

I ordered two new FP from keltec, it was not that bad of a job to change out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had mine for 4 years. Approximately 2600 rounds through it, works perfectly with the exception it does not cycle on any type of Winchester ammunition I've tried.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never got through a mag with mine. My brother and two friends each bought one and theirs are 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#23]
It's kind of funny that this thread popped up
again now. A friend, who is divesting himself of
a several high end shotguns that he inherited from
his dad, has a PMR and he said he has never had
run right.

I didn't ask him for a price, but if I can get it cheap
enough, would it be reasonable to get running right
with the history of known issues? Another friend of
ours said he thinks the owner loads it wrong &
gets a lot of dented cases.

Input please.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#24]
yeah, you can easily load the mags wrong.  The dented cases tend to happen when loading the mags against a very strong spring.  I've dented a few, but never had a problem shooting them.    Maglula makes a mag loader for the PMR/CMR.

Tapping the mag as you load it helps alot.  Keltec suggests tapping the mag every 10rds.

Quoted:
It's kind of funny that this thread popped up
again now. A friend, who is divesting himself of
a several high end shotguns that he inherited from
his dad, has a PMR and he said he has never had
run right.

I didn't ask him for a price, but if I can get it cheap
enough, would it be reasonable to get running right
with the history of known issues? Another friend of
ours said he thinks the owner loads it wrong &
gets a lot of dented cases.

Input please.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine has been perfectly reliable with only two caveats:

A.) For whatever reason it does not cycle with Winchester ammunition

B.) I don't get sloppy loading the mags. Loading them is actually easy, but every once in a while I manage to load a cartridge not all the way seated and that causes rimlock in the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I have had my PMR30 and CMR30 for a few years now. As long as I pay attention to how I load the magazines and stick to 40 grain high velocity ammo, both work flawlessly for me. One trick I learned was to take the new magazines and load them to full capacity then leave them sit for a day or two. I then manually unload them and reload them while letting them sit for another day or two. I've done the same with my CP33 mags too.

With the PMR30, I have found that each pistol is definitely different on what ammo it likes. Myself and the LGS owner bought a total of three pistols years ago. Mine and one of his will not run with any ammo lighter than 40 grains while the third does just fine with the lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine runs anything but subsonic Winchester. Get this and you will NEVER have a problem with loading the mags again. There is absolutely no reason to struggle with mags when this is available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086CCHX5H?tag=arfcom00-20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top