Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2019 10:23:12 PM EDT
to the point that there's a noticeable loss of accuracy?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably 2-3 generations of people just shooting a whole bunch of 22 ammo.  Rust, or improper cleaning is far more likely to ruin the accuracy of a barrel than shooting 22 ammo.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
More .22lr barrels are "shot out" by cleaning rods... than round count!
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably 2-3 generations of people just shooting a whole bunch of 22 ammo.  Rust, or improper cleaning is far more likely to ruin the accuracy of a barrel than shooting 22 ammo.
View Quote
Absolutely.  If you aren't getting grit into it/on the ammo, or cleaning it wrong it will never wear out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]
My RST-6 @ $37.50 when I was a little kid ate 20 years of a case of Remington Golden Bullets each year and was falling apart inside.  The ejector was held down in place by the bolt.  Still worked perfectly.

I put it away and forgot it shooting with a Mk.II 6 7/8” gun.  A few years ago, I sent it to Ruger.

Ruger replaced all the small parts, replaced the worn finish, and it is like new. The barrel is perfect.  Cleaned from the rear.

Magazines over the years cost more than the gun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than possibly true precision bullseye competition ( and even that is just a maybe) any 22 barrel will easily retain accuracy long after the original owner is dead.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies gents.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I work in a shooting club (lots of rentals) that uses almost exclusively Ruger MK series pistols and they see multiple cases each year.

Internals will wear out before the barrel. They are replaceable parts and sometime Ruger will even do to for free. Bolt hold stop seems to be the most common wear item.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My RST-6 @ $37.50 when I was a little kid ate 20 years of a case of Remington Golden Bullets each year and was falling apart inside.  The ejector was held down in place by the bolt.  Still worked perfectly.

I put it away and forgot it shooting with a Mk.II 6 7/8” gun.  A few years ago, I sent it to Ruger.

Ruger replaced all the small parts, replaced the worn finish, and it is like new. The barrel is perfect.  Cleaned from the rear.

View Quote
I'm shocked!!!  Don't you know that is impossible for any ordinary human to reassemble anything before the MK IV?  Why more internet bandwidth has been wasted by folks complaining it's impossible to reassemble them than any other subject.

Oh wait.  It's only humans with the mechanical skill of an amoeba that have such troubles.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm shocked!!!  Don't you know that is impossible for any ordinary human to reassemble anything before the MK IV?  Why more internet bandwidth has been wasted by folks complaining it's impossible to reassemble them than any other subject.

Oh wait.  It's only humans with the mechanical skill of an amoeba that have such troubles.
View Quote
The years between owning a Mark II-T and a 22-45 forced me to read the fucking directions.

Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Well as the old saying goes, "When all else fails, read the instructions".
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I've put several back together for people after they brought them to me in a box in pieces or locked up.

When I got them going in about 30 seconds they looked at me like I was a wizard!??
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lotta practice dis/ass-embly.

I cleaned it every few hundred rounds, 300-500 would be a long stretch.  Partly why it always worked.  Clean machines run better.

Admittedly I was only a simple farm boy, but had some how learned to read by age 12 or so.  One of the cows knew what the big words meant.  The instructions were clear.  Put the hammer forward and then put the strut tip into the spring dimple.  You just looked it in tilting as needed.  Close it up. Same system works almost 60 years later.  (Well, it is the same gun, I guess.). The black and white bovine is gone to greener pastures.  I uses the internet for big words now.

Thinking on it, I “think” the operating spring and extractor sets had been replaced somewhere eons ago.  The ejector coming unriveted was the operational problem that got it put away.  It still worked.  Case blows back, hits ejector, exits, reloads, repeats.  Wonderful gun.

Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought this MK II new around '84.  I'd guess it's seen close to 100k rounds.
All the internals except the bolt have been replaced and I had it refinished in Park.
Still shoots as good as new.  Maybe better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW my dad bought a '64 Mk I in 1965 and it's been in the family ever since.
No idea how many rounds, probably not a lot compared to those who shoot in competition.
But other than the occasional ammo related failure it's never stopped. And never been apart for cleaning. Bore is pristine.

My dad also likes to pick up old junker rimfires and even those from the 40s & 50s never seem to have a shot out bore. Might be lead fouled or corroded but not worn rifling.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
My 1960 MK1 6 7/8 Compensated looks like hell and still wins matches against much more expensive guns. Shot 500/500 38x in our clubs PPC match last year.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I cleaned it every few hundred rounds, 300-500 would be a long stretch.  Partly why it always worked.  Clean machines run better.

Admittedly I was only a simple farm boy, but had some how learned to read by age 12 or so.  One of the cows knew what the big words meant.  The instructions were clear.  Put the hammer forward and then put the strut tip into the spring dimple.  You just looked it in tilting as needed.  Close it up. Same system works almost 60 years later.  (Well, it is the same gun, I guess.). The black and white bovine is gone to greener pastures.  I uses the internet for big words now.

Thinking on it, I “think” the operating spring and extractor sets had been replaced somewhere eons ago.  The ejector coming unriveted was the operational problem that got it put away.  It still worked.  Case blows back, hits ejector, exits, reloads, repeats.  Wonderful gun.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought that disassembly too with the branded loop and I don't belive it takes an entire minute to take apart and the same goes for reassembly.

I prefer the older versions to the MKIVs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep This is correct.

Which is why I recommend the SS Ruger's.

Never had an issue with Ruger's SS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Or you can have crap luck like me and your mk 4 lite does this

I know ruger will fix it but it still erks ya.......

Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#20]
The World may never know
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Or you can have crap luck like me and your mk 4 lite does this

I know ruger will fix it but it still erks ya.......

https://i.imgur.com/Np6kuir.jpg
View Quote
Those keyholes look mighty long.  Are you trying to shoot the 60 grain ammo in a pistol?

My Mk II has around 100k rounds through it shooting bullseye.  It's just as accurate as when it was new.  I clean the gunk out of the receiver every 1K rounds and run one wet patch and one dry through the bore to primarily blean the chamber at that time.  I'm using the original internals.  The bolt stop is well peened but it hasn't progressed in the last 50k rounds so I don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Been trying since 1989 with my MK II, shoots like it did the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#23]
The university club I'm part of has two Mk 1 Rugers that are at least 40 years old.  Round count is easily in the tens of thousands and probably  north of a 100,000.  They just keep chugging along.  Those things are virtually indestructible.  Unlike the Buckmark.  We've had four over the years.  One is basically dead, another two are tired but serviceable, and the one newer one is holding up.  The Buckmark is arguably "nicer" than the Rugers but they definitely require more TLC.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#24]
.22 LR barrels are far more worn out by overcleaning than shooting odds are good that after maybe 3-400K rounds you might see some degradation of accuracy.  But then again maybe not.  Likely Ruger would replace the barrel for you if so.  Clean the chamber as needed but the barrel very rarely and you won’t often go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I would bet you’d easily get half a million if you BC learned it properly and weren’t intentionally trying to burn it down. Years ago I read an article about a couple rifles that a rimfire ammo manufacturer kept on hand to test ammo with and I think they were around a million rounds with leaning intervals well into the thousands. Wish I could remember where I read it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Make sure it's not leaded up
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Rugers are built like tanks you will never wear out the bore from just shooting it.

Most plinkers and trash pit shooters will never shoot them enough, serious competition shooters are about the only ones who will honestly actually shoot  80,000 rounds plus in a pistols life.
When High Standards get up there around 100k the barrel breech faces are getting really peened up but bores are still good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
My Ruger MKI has had untold thousands of rounds through it over the past 43 years with no loss of accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top