Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2022 4:58:22 PM EDT
We had this thread a while back, and one favorably suggested load was Hornady’s 10mm 180gr XTP. I chrono’d a handful and thought I’d follow up.

The box has that load doing 1275fps at the muzzle. I unscientifically placed my chronograph a couple of yards from the muzzle and clocked these rounds at an average of around 1250fps from my 5” 1911. I’m going by memory here or I’d list the high/low/std dev. The spread wasn’t very large. So, I’m getting a little less than advertised but I think it’s a respectable load. It will unscientifically blow up a water-filled milk jug at 25yds in a most satisfying way.

I shot some Magtech 180gr FMJ from the same pistol and got an average of around 1270fps, which surprised me a little.

Federal .45ACP +P 230gr HSTs are listed at 950fps and the average over my chrono from a Glock 41 was very close to that. They do not break a milk jug nearly as impressively as the 10mm.

I thought the prior thread generated some good info so hope this follow-up will show my appreciation for this forum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong but I’ve always heard most manufacturers use a 6” test barrel to make their velocity claims rather than a more common carry length.

That may explain the discrepancy you’re seeing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Since there are a LOT of 1911s in 10mm, they usually go with a 5" barrel. A little hard for us users of the Glock 40s and 29s. That being said:

I've found that there is a tendency when over driven (100-200+ fps.) that the normally tough XTPs simply mushroom like crazy and retain very little weight. Folks like Underwood and Buffalo Bore are pushing these JHPs at some serious velocities. 1350 for 180 grain and 1250 for 200 grain, better than the original 200 grain 1200 fps original Norma load. When pushed this hard, the bullets tend to mushroom a lot and not retain a lot of weight and penetrate shallowly.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m not complaining about the velocity. There are any number of factors that could result in variations. In the grand scheme of things I don’t think 25fps is all that much of a difference. think it seems like a respectable load for general use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We had this thread a while back, and one favorably suggested load was Hornady’s 10mm 180gr XTP. I chrono’d a handful and thought I’d follow up.

The box has that load doing 1275fps at the muzzle. I unscientifically placed my chronograph a couple of yards from the muzzle and clocked these rounds at an average of around 1250fps from my 5” 1911. I’m going by memory here or I’d list the high/low/std dev. The spread wasn’t very large. So, I’m getting a little less than advertised but I think it’s a respectable load. It will unscientifically blow up a water-filled milk jug at 25yds in a most satisfying way.

I shot some Magtech 180gr FMJ from the same pistol and got an average of around 1270fps, which surprised me a little.

Federal .45ACP +P 230gr HSTs are listed at 950fps and the average over my chrono from a Glock 41 was very close to that. They do not break a milk jug nearly as impressively as the 10mm.

I thought the prior thread generated some good info so hope this follow-up will show my appreciation for this forum.
View Quote

Thanks for updating us with that info!

The factory 180grn 10mm XTP ammo is a great load, even if it’s not a max load for that bullet-weight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since there are a LOT of 1911s in 10mm, they usually go with a 5" barrel. A little hard for us users of the Glock 40s and 29s. That being said:

I've found that there is a tendency when over driven (100-200+ fps.) that the normally tough XTPs simply mushroom like crazy and retain very little weight. Folks like Underwood and Buffalo Bore are pushing these JHPs at some serious velocities. 1350 for 180 grain and 1250 for 200 grain, better than the original 200 grain 1200 fps original Norma load. When pushed this hard, the bullets tend to mushroom a lot and not retain a lot of weight and penetrate shallowly.

View Quote

I think XTPs are exceptionaly tough when driven fast and I haven't found them to penetrate less

These are 140gr .357 XTPs @1150 and 1650fps
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What does "chrono'd" mean?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Fired projectiles over a chronograph to measure their velocity.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

@MCBallpeen

What did you shoot those into that you saw that result?
And what number of bullets did you see that with?
And, did you have that result 100-200fps OVER the Hornady velocity range chart or within the area Hornady says is good?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top