BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Range Officer Elite Operator

The only things I would caution against is the glued ejector. But, if you have problems with it, supposedly SA will pin it for free. It meets all of your criteria while stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Howdy Folks

After much thought, experimentation and deliberation, the time has come for me to switch to a 1911 as a general purpose home defense/hotel defense handgun. Help me with my search, and in picking the right thing.
Requirements:
Budget ~1K +/- a bit
.45 ACP
Light rail
Fiber front, black rear sights
Must run stock out of the box
Decent trigger
Ambi safety

Background:
I have a love/hate relationship with the 1911 platform. I have had my share of 1911 turds over the years, with the worst turd ever being a Colt combat elite, what a POS that was. However I shoot a decent amount of competition, namely USPSA, and my primary platform there is 2011. At this point in life, I am busy and outside of competition and dryfire for competition I don't get out to the range much. So the 1911/2011 platform is what I run the most,and shoot the best. So I want to switch out my glock 34 night stand gun for a quality 1911 with the above requirements.

What can the hive suggest for a pistol? I am leaning towards a Springfield RO elite, but... some of the Springfield's I have had in the past were less then stellar.

Thanks
View Quote
I recommend adding Rock Island TAC series to your list of considerations.  Take an objective look.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Just save some money
Buy a shockwave or remy tac14

If you can’t get it done with 5 rounds of double ought, well.........
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has it been reliable for you? I  eyed these for a while...

But i have seen them choke badly at matches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fent with a RIA 1911A2(2011) in 10mm for 16+1 capacity.

$720 from buds.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177719/20190825_135811-1066897.jpg
Has it been reliable for you? I  eyed these for a while...

But i have seen them choke badly at matches.
I would ascribe that to as most likely what those were being fed at the matches.  
The dozens of RIA 1911s that I have personally observed in the wild and experienced first hand have all run without fail.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go with a name brand made well Colt , Springfield , Ruger, S & W , Sig,  Kimber.  Something like those but nothing from the Philippines or a  Taurus.  Just my 2$ worth.
View Quote
I agree with the above, except for Kimber.  While they make a good gun, In my experience you can't count on them to run out of the box, they really need to see 500 or so rounds before you should have confidence in their reliability.  I say this based on sample size of 2 - first was a Raptor II in .45 that I bought used, but unfired.  Quickly learned that it would double periodically.  2nd is a 9mm I bought in December 2019 - wouldn't eject light bullets.  Kimber advised me to break it in with heavy bullets - it does run 147's with acceptable reliability.  It will run 115's with grease on the rails with about 90% reliability, but I'm  350 rounds short of a 500 round break in to date.  The new Colts and Springfields I've owned (probrably 6 in the last 15 years), have all run out of the box.  The one Sig I had ran out of the box as well.  My sig micro 9 runs fine as well, but I don't really consider that to be a 1911.  
Personally, I'd get tritium night sights on a home defense gun, rather than the fiber optics.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The Springfield TRP is a solid choice for a reliable 1911.

I always add a few things from 10-8 Performance and swap sights. Also had Nighthawk do a couple extras.

Here’s my railed house gun....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
springfield trp operator
View Quote
this

mine has about 7k rounds on it and lives in the nightstand with a tlr-2
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top