Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 3:50:29 PM EDT
Just picked up a DW A2 Commander, my first Commander-length 1911 in many years (had, and stupidly sold, a pretty nice Colt S80 Combat Commander, a decade ago).

Have a Grizzle Country Boy on order; it's going to be a bit of a wait, though.

Any recommendations on decent-quality OWB leather that is available now, to use in the interim?  My general preference is hip or behind-the-hip OWB, no need for perfect concealment around the farm and until the new DW is put through its paces at the range, I probably won't be CC'ing it.

I'm looking at a Ritchie Speed Scabbard, which is similar to the Country Boy but lacks the sweat guard.

I have a hard time paying for Galco; I've got several of them now, can't say anything bad about them but they're more expensive than the Grizzle!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
El Paso Saddlery.
https://epsaddlery.com/
Tank Commander or Tortilla holster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
DeSantis Speed Scabbard is another option.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Galco
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hydra-shokz:
Galco
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Galco

Yeah, so I kinda don't want to spend $130 on a Galco while waiting for a $110 Grizzle.

Quoted:
DeSantis Speed Scabbard is another option.

Thank you, I hadn't even considered DeSantis.  Looks like about $80, I may try that while I wait.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you like your A2 Commander? I have a full size A2 and love it. Super guns...
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ABM41:

Yeah, so I kinda don't want to spend $130 on a Galco while waiting for a $110 Grizzle.

View Quote

Sorry bud, but I didn't read the whole OP. My bad! Carry on!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry bud, but I didn't read the whole OP. My bad! Carry on! 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sorry bud, but I didn't read the whole OP. My bad! Carry on! 

No worries!
Quoted:
How do you like your A2 Commander? I have a full size A2 and love it. Super guns...

I like it a lot, but I haven't even shot it yet!  Just haven't had time.

Debated Commander vs. Government but sprung for the shorter one due to slightly more carry-ability, and missing the old Combat Commander I stupidly sold.  The A2 is everything I wanted... classic 1911 styling with some upgrades.  I don't have much experience with higher-end 1911's; other than a couple old USGI warhorses all I've got is a Colt MK-IV Series 70.  The fit and finish of the Dan Wesson is way above-and-beyond the Colt, and I always thought the Colt was pretty nice for a 1911 (I still love it).   Slide-to-frame fit feels like glass and the trigger is great.

I suspect an A2 Government is in my future.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
El Paso Saddlery.
https://epsaddlery.com/
Tank Commander or Tortilla holster.
View Quote

Yes to El Paso, but I'd say the Crosshair.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Using a Side Guard `the slide` for my Guardian 9mm and it  works very well.  So well i picked one up for my SP101 too.  Not very fancy but it arrived fairly quickly compared to how long i waited for a milt sparks 55bn.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Bianchi Shadow II, cheap enough you can toss it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigthicket:
DeSantis Speed Scabbard is another option.
View Quote

+1

I used one 20 years ago for a week at Thunder Ranch in Texas.

Served me well with no complaints.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
In leather, El Paso #88 can be bought new for less than 70 bucks.

In synthetic, Safariland 5198 runs less than 30 bucks, comes with belt slide and paddle, has adjustable tension. Mine is for a 3 1/2" barrel but works good with a 5" gun, does not snag the front sight. Conceals pretty good. Excellent retention but the gun comes out easy with a tug.
That's the best bang for the buck 1911 holster available imo. Mines held up well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought I would update this thread.

Went with the DeSantis Speed Scabbard... it'll do just fine until my Grizzle shows up.

Also finally took the new A2 Commander to the range to start its break-in.  Put about 150 rds through it at 5, 10, and 15 yards.  Had two failures to feed, both on the 8th round; Winchester white box 230gr ball, though I suspect just some new-pistol teething.  Otherwise, no issues.  It shoots VERY nicely. I'm not much of a pistol shot and I thought it made me look halfway good.

Thoroughly cleaned and re-lubricated tonight, no abnormal wear noted.

I think I'm really going to enjoy this pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top