Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2021 6:42:23 PM EDT
Picked up a new Ruger GP-100 earlier in the week.  It was stainless, which I wanted, but also had the Hogue Monogrip, which I didn’t want.

I bought it because my choices were either Monogrip revolver or no revolver.

As soon as I function checked I thought I’d go looking for new grips, being partial to the classic GP-100 compact rubber grips with inserts.

I put 50 rounds of factory PMC 158 gr soft points through it.  I was surprised at how well the Monogrip worked.  Extremely comfortable and helped soaked up recoil nicely.  

I’m pleasantly surpass at the functionality of these grips, and considering leaving them on (at least for load development snd hunting season).

Any other experiences with these grips?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one on a Model 28 S&W back in the early '80s and they were great.  
Then I bought a 686 and put Pachmayr Gripper Professionals on it and never looked back.
Without more than these two samples my feeling is that how well they work are likely gun & hand size specific.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the Jeff Quinn .44 special GP 100s and replaced the wood grips with the Hogue black rubber mono grips & like them a lot. The one I got is like the one pictured in the link. Overmolded mono grip I think they look great.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Hogue Monogrip on my Super Blackhawk. Love the feel, makes the gun even more fun to shoot. Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ugly, but highly functional IMHO.

Wouldn’t use on a CCW piece, but for a range or woods gun you’d be hard pressed to find more functional grips.

Have a set on a Dan Wesson gun and made an already tame shooter even smoother.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one of the Jeff Quinn .44 special GP 100s and replaced the wood grips with the Hogue black rubber mono grips & like them a lot. The one I got is like the one pictured in the link. Overmolded mono grip I think they look great.
View Quote

The no finger groove versions look interesting.

The grip on mine has the finger grooves, which I thought I’d hate but actually fit my fingers.

Attachment Attached File

That group doesn’t look so great but it was shot at 50 yards
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Double post
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ugly, but highly functional IMHO.

Wouldn’t use on a CCW piece, but for a range or woods gun you’d be hard pressed to find more functional grips.

Have a set on a Dan Wesson gun and made an already tame shooter even smoother.
View Quote

I actually CC my SP101 w/ a Hogue.  Works fine.  Makes 9x19mm fun to practice w/.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I actually CC my SP101 w/ a Hogue.  Works fine.  Makes 9x19mm fun to practice w/.
View Quote

I tried, found it grabbed the cover garment too much for my tastes IWB with a full size carry K or L frame, and grabbed the pocket too much on a j-frame draw stroke.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I love em at the range, not so much on the street.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I tried, found it grabbed the cover garment too much for my tastes IWB with a full size carry K or L frame, and grabbed the pocket too much on a j-frame draw stroke.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I actually CC my SP101 w/ a Hogue.  Works fine.  Makes 9x19mm fun to practice w/.

Draw?  Why draw a J-frame?  It's my jacket pocket carry gun.  I'm I'm drawing, I draw the Glock.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had one on a Model 28 S&W back in the early '80s and they were great.  
Then I bought a 686 and put Pachmayr Gripper Professionals on it and never looked back.
Without more than these two samples my feeling is that how well they work are likely gun & hand size specific.
View Quote

Only Hogues I had were on a Blackhawk .357.   Made it was more accurate for me.   Smooth wood plow handles in my summertime sweaty hands sucks.  

For DA S&W I get the open back Pachmayr’s, the enclosed backstrap type on anything bigger than a J frame is just less desireable for my short fingers.

Fit, fit fit!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My first 3" GP100 had them and they are pretty comfortable.  I gave that gun to my sister for her BD and bought a Wiley Clapp GP100 that has the rubber grips with wood inserts.  The Hogue grips are comfortable, give great retention in the hand and help with recoil so I think they are pretty good but for me, I much prefer the rubber grips with inserts.  They are just really comfortable for me as well as helping with recoil.  

You can't go wrong with either but I definitely prefer the Ruger grips over the Hogue in this case.  Plus you can swap out the inserts to personilize them if you want.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The GP100 I had came with the Hogue grips and I liked them. Sure they don't look as good as a nice set of wood grips but they make up for poor looks with function.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Hogues and Pachs look like hammered dog shit on a gun, but there is no arguing they don't feel good in the hand.
You can kind of get away with black rubber on stainless, but it's a crime on a blued gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Hogues on a Browning Hi Power.  I haven't shot it with those grips yet but they do feel good.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree they are not very attractive but they are very functional and pretty cheap. I have them on all three of my competition revolvers so the grip is identical between them. I don't really notice them absorbing a lot of recoil since the backstrap is exposed.

I am always a little torn between the version with the finger grooves and the version without. For a carry gun, the version without the finger grooves seems to be less "grabby" on clothes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Good wood grips that fit your hand work as good as rubber grips (better if you factor in that they aren't grabbing your cloths) and look much better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good wood grips that fit your hand work as good as rubber grips (better if you factor in that they aren't grabbing your cloths) and look much better.
View Quote

I would definitely agree in that.  Cover garments slide over smooth grips much better than “grippy” grips.

But I don’t think I’ll be carrying the revolver in question IWB or Appendix at any time soon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have Hogues for my N frames, switch out to fancy grips after cleaning but right back on for shooting plus I don't have to worry about fucking up my expensive wood grips.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would definitely agree in that.  Cover garments slide over smooth grips much better than “grippy” grips.

But I don’t think I’ll be carrying the revolver in question IWB or Appendix at any time soon

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/9ADCC427-C79A-4A02-B3E1-C66D646DFC7B_jpe-1946825.JPG
View Quote

Does that mount use the front dovetail? Thats pretty slick.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/9ADCC427-C79A-4A02-B3E1-C66D646DFC7B_jpe-1946825.JPG

Yes.  

It's a Weigand no drill and tap Scope Mount .  It is pretty slick.  

There's a little block that mounts inside the front sight channel that has two tapped holes.  So two screws up front and then it uses the screw for the rear sight to secure the rear of the rail.

Really easy to install.  The hardest part was finding something to punch out the rear sight roll pin.  

Ruger Redhawk GP-100 Scope Mount Weigand
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Grips are pretty individualistic of course but the Hogue mono with finger grooves works well for me.
Before trying them I was a long time Pach. Gripper guy and those still feel just right to me.
Either of those two feel very nice in my hands, in heavier recoiling guns I give a slight edge to the mono.
I cringe when I see people re adjust their grip on a revolver after every shot. I really don't want to be that guy and monogrips try to shift the least (for me) in heavy hitters.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I have them on my 6" DW 44VH and I really like them.

Attachment Attached File

Not my gun, but it looks like this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I've used Monogrips on Ruger and S&W revolvers, and they've always worked well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
If you like the feel of hogues but want something a bit different/nicer, Hogue wooden grips work well on .357s and lower.

I have a couple sets of cocobolo finger groove checkered grips, one on my SP101:

And another on my TRR8:

Plenty grippy, fills the hand just how you like, and has a much "warmer" feel to it.

I like cocobolo, but they've got several options.

Granted, I have hogues on my Kimber K6S, but they're a smaller grip better suited for CCW.  I would like for them to come out with something similar for the Kimber as they have for the Ruger and Smiths, but oh well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  If you like the feel of hogues but want something a bit different/nicer, Hogue wooden grips work well on .357s and lower.

I have a couple sets of cocobolo finger groove checkered grips, one on my SP101:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/B91C2C0F-3664-49D3-9A9C-614AD92CD51F-1957355.jpg

And another on my TRR8:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/1B16F766-DA4E-4990-AB07-2E3BAF209F6E-1806400.jpg

Plenty grippy, fills the hand just how you like, and has a much "warmer" feel to it.

Granted, I have hogues on my Kimber K6S, but they're a smaller grip better suited for CCW.  I would like for them to come out with something similar for the Kimber as they have for the Ruger and Smiths, but oh well.
View Quote

How do you work that light?  Turn it on & leave it on, or operate it w/ your non-dominant hand, then pull the hand back before you fire?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Picked up a new Ruger GP-100 earlier in the week.  It was stainless, which I wanted, but also had the Hogue Monogrip, which I didn’t want.

I bought it because my choices were either Monogrip revolver or no revolver.

As soon as I function checked I thought I’d go looking for new grips, being partial to the classic GP-100 compact rubber grips with inserts.

I put 50 rounds of factory PMC 158 gr soft points through it.  I was surprised at how well the Monogrip worked.  Extremely comfortable and helped soaked up recoil nicely.  

I’m pleasantly surpass at the functionality of these grips, and considering leaving them on (at least for load development snd hunting season).

Any other experiences with these grips?
View Quote

When I was a relatively new handgun shooter, about three years in, I bought a Blackhawk .357.  I had issues with the smooth grips slipping in my hand when it was hot and I was sweaty.  While I despised the looks of the Hogue rubber grips on a single action revolver, they really did i prove my shooting with that gun by giving me a consistent good grip on it.

I did not like the extra length to the butt from the stirrup retention design.

ooops.   I already commented.   Damn slow acting caffeine this morning.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do you work that light?  Turn it on & leave it on, or operate it w/ your non-dominant hand, then pull the hand back before you fire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  If you like the feel of hogues but want something a bit different/nicer, Hogue wooden grips work well on .357s and lower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/B91C2C0F-3664-49D3-9A9C-614AD92CD51F-1957355.jpg

And another on my TRR8:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/1B16F766-DA4E-4990-AB07-2E3BAF209F6E-1806400.jpg

Either/or.  Still working on some of those details, without turning my fingers into the hot dog in Jerry M's video on cylinder gaps using hot dogs as fingers .

For a while it looked like Virginia was trying to outlaw pistols "capable of accepting" magazines above X capacity, and this was a hedge against that while still being an esoteric (but mostly viable) secondary HD option.  Plus, it's fun, and I've always wanted one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have Hogues for my N frames, switch out to fancy grips after cleaning but right back on for shooting plus I don't have to worry about fucking up my expensive wood grips.
View Quote

I always kinda wondered if this was common practice.

I have some hogues and they feel so good in the hand but I can't stand looking at them and less than easy to change out. Pachmayrs go on easier but doesn't fill the hand the same way and are only slightly more visually pleasing than the hogues.

The things I resort to complaining about
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top