Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2021 6:51:59 PM EDT
History of the M1911A1 with SF as I remember it.
I am sure @combat_diver can provide more details he was there too in the beginning.
Post 911 History of M1911A1 in use with U.S. Special Forces

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I started my SF career in 5th SFGA with the M1911A1 on teams in 84’.   After we turned them in for M9s a few were retained for 18Bs to train on (along with other older US weapons back to M1903A4s). My team took two of those to Haiti in 95’, which I carried one daily.  

Back in October 03’, I had just returned back to 5th from 1/10th in Germany. The Group was already deployed in Iraq. I was asked by Steve Holland (my sniper instructor from 94’) to hand carry another 250 ea M1911A1s forward.  He had just pulled these guns out of depot. The vacuum packed bags had dates on them from 91’, when Arsenal rebuilt and packed away. Most of these where Remington Rands but with some Colts. Another friend I know was a civilian gunsmith with them at the time remembers some in new never issued original Kraft boxes.

So, I took those guns to Iraq and the got distributed out. I used a Safariland 6400 as you mentioned and Wilson 47D 8 and 10 rd mags. I also took my Gordon Davis Liberty and shoulder rig, both leather holsters.  Carried the 1911 in Iraq in 03,04,05 and 08’. Crimson Trace laser grips were a common issue item by Group for them.

Will continue, Thanks for the video brother.

CD
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started my SF career in 5th SFGA with the M1911A1 on teams in 84’.   After we turned them in for M9s a few were retained for 18Bs to train on (along with other older US weapons back to M1903A4s). My team took two of those to Haiti in 95’, which I carried one daily.  

Back in October 03’, I had just returned back to 5th from 1/10th in Germany. The Group was already deployed in Iraq. I was asked by Steve Holland (my sniper instructor from 94’) to hand carry another 250 ea M1911A1s forward.  He had just pulled these guns out of depot. The vacuum packed bags had dates on them from 91’, when Arsenal rebuilt and packed away. Most of these where Remington Rands but with some Colts. Another friend I know was a civilian gunsmith with them at the time remembers some in new never issued original Kraft boxes.

So, I took those guns to Iraq and the got distributed out. I used a Safariland 6400 as you mentioned and Wilson 47D 8 and 10 rd mags. I also took my Gordon Davis Liberty and shoulder rig, both leather holsters.  Carried the 1911 in Iraq in 03,04,05 and 08’. Crimson Trace laser grips were a common issue item by Group for them.

Will continue

CD
View Quote

Any pictures?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Dec 03'
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Reference on my web belt, just put two 8 rd mags in a double stack M9 pouch.  I carried 105 rds of .45 compared to 106 rds of 9mm in the same space if running a M9.
Attachment Attached File

04'
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Afghanistan 14'.  Was there as a SOCOM contractor.  Had both G19 or M1911A1.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Shop had 6 1911's on books, these would later get turned back into Crane in 17'
Attachment Attached File

Last 1911s that I saw in Astan were Kimbers, turned in beginning of this year.  I'll have to dig for my Afghan pics for 1911s.

CD
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, thank you both for sharing
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Badass
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Man, I love CD posts. (And Stukas87 too, your videos are pretty cool. )

Amazing to see those pistols still in service so many years after their introduction.  If they could talk, the stories they could tell!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Great video, Stukas. Thank you for posting putting it out and to CD for the complimentary info. I am a big fan of the 1911 and was happy to see them (in very small numbers) kicking around Group as late as 2019. I only remember one making it to Afghanistan as the vast majority guys chose Glock (as you pointed out) and a few opted for the (then) new Sig.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank You.

I think had SF gone with more modern ones like the Marines did, then maybe they would have lasted longer
But the Marines did adopt the G19 in 2016
The G19 was a SF initiative first, now almost every SOCOM unit uses it.
So in the end, SF wins the pistol wars!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank You.

I think had SF gone with more modern ones like the Marines did, then maybe they would have lasted longer
But the Marines did adopt the G19 in 2016
The G19 was a SF initiative first, now almost every SOCOM unit uses it.
So in the end, SF wins the pistol wars!
View Quote

SEALs replaced their Mk25s (226) with the G19 also.  Haven't seen what AFSOC carries lately.

CD
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Great video.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Great video.

Glad to see you have a channel, I've read a lot of your articles.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys. It's great to see those old warhorses at work a century after they were first introduced. I sometimes wonder what happened to the RR I had in VN (non-SF, just RA.) I'd like to think it's somewhere still putting rounds down range for the good guys, but I'm afraid it was probably left behind.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I Appreciate all the feedback!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I Appreciate all the feedback!
View Quote

I’ve got some other Astan 1911 pics like yours that I need to find

CD
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Great video.  I started using the 1911A1 platform in 1980.  We were using updated fixed sights around early 1983.  Before that we used adjustable sights since most of ours 1911a1s started life as National Match pistols with adjustable sights.  All our weapons had hard slides.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing S/F
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Last 1911s that I saw in Astan were Kimbers, turned in beginning of this year.  
View Quote
That's going to get some panties in a twist.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine was a Remington Rand - SN 2287389

Well worn and a good pistol, work in a tanker’s shoulder holster under kit.  

I hope it’s gone to a good home.

18Z50
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool thread, thanks for the info and pics and look forward to more!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Very good information! Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:15:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Other 1911's in Astan
Gov't M1911A1s with sights changed
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Kimber
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

I wasn't serving in SF during this time, however I was active in the the Stan/Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Africa. My two favorite weapons Remington Rand, and G23.  We used Surefire 1911a1 mounts and various Surefire weapons lights.  I never warmed up to the G22, I had a G35 with a Doctor Optic.  I used the 1911 mostly as a back up when I used a long arm.  Did a lot of work without an M4 or 416.  Then I carried a Glock for more fire power.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37487/IMG_2662_jpg-2131213.JPG

I wasn't serving in SF during this time, however I was active in the the Stan/Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Africa. My two favorite weapons Remington Rand, and G23.  We used Surefire 1911a1 mounts and various Surefire weapons lights.  I never warmed up to the G22, I had a G35 with a Doctor Optic.  I used the 1911 mostly as a back up when I used a long arm.  Did a lot of work without an M4 or 416.  Then I carried the Glocks for more fire power.

Regards
View Quote

Delta?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#25]
The video was pretty cool to watch and hear about old being new again.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice video.  Thanks for putting the time in to do what you are doing, and thank you for what you did.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very nice video.  Thanks for putting the time in to do what you are doing, and thank you for what you did.
View Quote

Glad you liked it
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've said for very long time.  Only 3 things wrong with the M1911A1 for the Army.
1.  Sights too small
2.  Army hadn't bought any new ones since 1945
3.  Army doesn't teach how to shoot a handgun effectively (excluding SF)

CD
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've said for very long time.  Only 3 things wrong with the M1911A1 for the Army.
1.  Sights too small

CD
View Quote

Army does a miserable job with handgun...practically dismal
Rifle training game pretty weak too

Just last month ran into a soldier at a 2gun match..
I knew he was a soldier due to his horrible stance
Shooting the rifle:
His feet were parallel and he was bent way forward at the waste "to fight recoil"  
Of course. bending forward, shoulders out past hips puts all the strain on our lower back
Feet parallel dismal... one would stand feet like that in a fist fight, you'd get pushed over
so in fact not a stable stance at all
I ask where he learned to shoot like that...He said in the SF Q-course!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Shooting the rifle:
His feet were parallel and he was bent way forward at the waste "to fight recoil"  
Of course. bending forward, shoulders out past hips puts all the strain on our lower back
Feet parallel dismal... one would stand feet like that in a fist fight, you'd get pushed over
View Quote

Should have rephrased that as SFARTAETC

CD
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Shooting the rifle:
View Quote

Miserable is a compliment.
Before deployment I spent a lot of time teaching my platoon. ( being medics about 75% of my guys had the M9 as the sole armament they carried )Pistol shooting. Unfortunately very little time or resources allocated to this. The best investment the military could have made in pistol use was not replacing the M9 but send each pistol assigned trooper to something like gunsite or thunder ranch.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Miserable is a compliment.
Before deployment I spent a lot of time teaching my platoon. ( being medics about 75% of my guys had the M9 as the sole armament they carried )Pistol shooting. Unfortunately very little time or resources allocated to this. The best investment the military could have made in pistol use was not replacing the M9 but send each pistol assigned trooper to something like gunsite or thunder ranch.
View Quote

You are not wrong
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
What a great thread.

I'm still a 1911 guy. Just shoot them better than everything I have ever owned.

Always good to read, view and learn from you guys who served. My skills are always improving from just listening and learning here.
IMHO I feel I'll never run out of things to learn in this community.

Appreciate it so very much is the best I can say, and I feel it's not enough.

God bless and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome thread
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dec 03'
Reference on my web belt, just put two 8 rd mags in a double stack M9 pouch.  I carried 105 rds of .45 compared to 106 rds of 9mm in the same space if running a M9.

CD

View Quote

That sounds heavy
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Man, I love CD posts. (And Stukas87 too, your videos are pretty cool. )

View Quote

I wish I could get a notification when he posts. I would stalk him for this gold
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:25:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Will continue, Thanks for the video brother.

CD
View Quote

I remember being at Crimson Trace and our law enforcement and military manager asked us to make sure they were squared away.

Same for the m9 laser grips.

one of you guys made a special request for dual laser style grips........ like we made for the SEALS... which was an IR laser on the left side and regular laser on the right side.

that was our most requested item.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I remember being at Crimson Trace and our law enforcement and military manager asked us to make sure they were squared away.

View Quote

You never sent me my free batteries
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Great post gentlemen.... thank you for your service.

????
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

one of you guys made a special request for dual laser style grips........ like we made for the SEALS... which was an IR laser on the left side and regular laser on the right side.

View Quote

Interesting, never saw the dual lasers.  I got issued both CTC grips for the 1911 and M9.  Like them enough that I have a set on my 1911, G19 and Smith 442 at home.

CD
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Jozsi

Can you buy the dual laser grips?  I need them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#44]
It's only for LEO/MIL, you have to call in and submit an agency request but individual LEO and MIL can order it also.

https://soldiersystems.net/2010/10/21/crimson-trace-dual-laser-system-for-sig/

We made some for the m9 but it's no longer shown and also for the 1911 and glock.

The Sig and Glock are the only ones left.

We also strangely made one for the Hi power also, I think it was for another unit that wanted it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1.  Sights too small

CD
View Quote
This all true, with the exception that while the sights are small, they are absolutely useable.

Paul Poole had no issue teaching us to be tack drivers at 25 & 50 yards with them at OG SOT.  I had no issues with them in the 5th Army combat pistol matches.

However, they are small - especially by modern standards.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shooting the rifle:
View Quote
By standing square to the target his body armor plates are square to incoming fire.

Pre- body armor and in competition this seems strange.  But traditional rifle shooting positions (especially standing) exposes a body armor equipped shooter to fatal hits.

New technique is also to 'drive' the target which probably accounts for his non-competition stance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
By standing square to the target his body armor plates are square to incoming fire.

Pre- body armor and in competition this seems strange.  But traditional rifle shooting positions (especially standing) exposes a body armor equipped shooter to fatal hits.

New technique is also to 'drive' the target which probably accounts for his non-competition stance.
View Quote

Plates to front is complete myth
It assumes a single enemy squaring off with you with no movement. Unless it's a duel at 20 paces with pistols.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It assumes a single enemy squaring off with you with no movement. Unless it's a duel at 20 paces with pistols.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to go with ODA_564 on this.  It very possible that the SFARTAETC/SFAUC/SOT/ Mott Lake grads in this thread may have a wee bit more knowledge, both in theory and and in practical application than the average Arfcom RKI.

18Z50...Nous Defions
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm going to go with ODA_564 on this.  It very possible that the SFARTAETC/SFAUC/SOT/ Mott Lake grads in this thread may have a wee bit more knowledge, both in theory and and in practical application than the average Arfcom RKI.

18Z50...Nous Defions
View Quote

Il trust my 9 tours of experience and the fact that I also worked as a SFARTAETC Instructor
Plates to front sounds good in theory..meaningless in real life.

There is a reason SFARTAETC made drastic changes to CQB in late 2006 after B2/3 saw lots of CQB..the MottLake stuff didnt work ..since most of it was based on theory by guys who never actually fuaght CQB.
Unfortunately all those lesson learned have been lost as guy retire. And many units going back to "by the book"  1993 HR  drivel

If your CQB tactics rely on 4 man stacks and plates too the front, you are gonna take casualties.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Sometimes we are just going to agree to disagree amongst yourselves.

CD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top