Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rider_No2]
The stocks on my SA-35 give the grip an overall width of ˜1.31”. There’s really nothing wrong with these grips but I like to tinker. I have seen a lot of folks recommending Navidrex or Spegel grips, but don’t have a frame of reference. Does anyone know if they are thicker or thinner than the Springfield stocks?

Any other suggestions? I think stag would be a nice look but don’t want to pay for the real thing - anyone have faux stag grips they like?
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The SA-35 grips look close to Spegel's shape and profile. The thin Navidrex micarta grips are thinner and flatter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
The SA-35 grips look close to Spegel's shape and profile. The thin Navidrex micarta grips are thinner and flatter.
View Quote

I have a set of Spegels on my Mk2 and the OEM ones on my SA-35 feel exactly the same..
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Pachmayr makes a G-10 grip that is thinner than the OE stock. “Grappler” model.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

I have a set of Spegels on my Mk2 and the OEM ones on my SA-35 feel exactly the same..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s helpful to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Found a couple of fake stags. Anyone seen these?

NC Ordnance

Sid Ryan
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack…

Anyone know of a source for ivory grips for a hi power?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rider_No2:
Found a couple of fake stags. Anyone seen these?

NC Ordnance

Sid Ryan
View Quote
NC Ordnance is junk.  Skip that one.  I ordered a pair of NC grips for my HsC and I swear to you that they were made of wood putty.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
NC Ordnance is junk.  Skip that one.  I ordered a pair of NC grips for my HsC and I swear to you that they were made of wood putty.
View Quote

Oof. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Oof. Thanks for the heads up on that.
View Quote
My pleasure.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#10]
Going over your original question:

I can't speak about the newer grips on the Springfield 1911s BUT my Navidrex Black Micarta grips were about a light year thinner than the original Browning wood grips.  SOOOO much more comfortable.

I will say that, depending on how the frame is made you may have to bed the grips to the frame.  This can happen with any grip because, depending on the way the frame is made, there are a lot of variances on non-critical surfaces.

If your grips shift a bit when on the frame, you WANT to bed them.  Shifting grips will cause your grip screws to come loose and over time, from repeated re-tightening, they can break.  Once bedded to fit the frame exactly, your screws will never come loose again.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Bumping to see if any additional suggestions or information pops up. Sounds like the stick SA grips are pretty thin.

@nandoz was looking for ivories, which would be cool to see.

I get hammer bite from my SA-35 (abrasion from the hammer rowel, not pinching), which is weird because I have never had an issue with any other pistol. This is my first Hi-Power type. Would thinner or thicker grips change that?
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 12:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven’t found anything yet.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
HiPower stock:

Hi Power grips:

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Lol. Nobody beats me for pedantry! Lots of people (like this guy) use the word “stocks” for pistol and especially revolver grip panels - maybe that use is a little antiquated now.

I used “stocks” to draw attention to the post and distinguish between the panels and the grip as a whole, since I was interested in the overall width of the grip, not the “grips” individually.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Have a set of Altamont rosewood on one of mine and they are very thin, almost navidrex thin, but after taking a quick look on their site seems their offerings have dwindled compared to a few years ago.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Have a set of Altamont rosewood on one of mine and they are very thin, almost navidrex thin, but after taking a quick look on their site seems their offerings have dwindled compared to a few years ago.
View Quote

I noticed that about them too about maybe a year ago I was looking for something on their website I noticed that the selections were severely depleted
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]

I noticed that about them too about maybe a year ago I was looking for something on their website I noticed that the selections were severely depleted
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LastRites:

Sure seems that way and that's a damn shame as they do make some really nice grips, the walnut ones I got for a colt 1908 were simply beautiful.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Don’t know if it will help anyone, but Altamont has a “factory outlet” on Gunbroker: Altamont factory outlet. Weirdly, it uses the conventional bidding format as opposed to “buy now.”

They do have some Hi-Power grips listed; I picked up a pair of G10s pretty cheaply and will update when I get them in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Altamont grips came in. They are smooth flat G10 panels. Installed on the gun, the grip measures about 1.22” in width. I think that’s about 0.1” narrower than the SA factory grips measured. I had to adjust one panel slightly to get the screw seated cleanly. Just handling and dry firing, I think I like them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a set of bonded ivory grips from Altamount. 2-4 weeks for delivery.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rider_No2] [#22]
Originally Posted By nandoz:
I ordered a set of bonded ivory grips from Altamount. 2-4 weeks for delivery.
View Quote

Those do look nice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know what grips are on the SA-35 in this Armory Life article?

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know what grips are on the SA-35 in this Armory Life article?

View Quote

Look like LOK or VZ.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Look like LOK or VZ.
View Quote

Thanks, they look like the LOK palm swell checkered grips.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I got my grips from altamont. I have them an old FN for now. Sorry for the phone pic. I am very pleased with them.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sailormilan2] [#27]
I just got a set of Herrett's tiger striped grips to replace my Raacos. Herretts have a bit of a palm swell,  are about 1.5", when mounted on the frame.  The Raascos are about 1.35".  The stock original plastic grips that came on it are about 1.32". The primary difference, which can really be felt is in the shape.  The Herretts are the standard "squarish" style, with very sharp, aggressive checkering.  The Raascos are more oval shaped, being tapered in the back, and have much finer checkering.  I like how the HP feels in may hands,  The Raascos feel much better in my hands, and I have fairly large hands. But, I prefer the more aggressive checkering of the Herretts. Unfortunately, Raascos is no longer in business.
Herretts tiger striped vs Raaso figured walnut.

https://imgur.com/a/t3hh6Yo

https://imgur.com/a/Hj1UtBR

https://imgur.com/a/gJVX1oS

https://imgur.com/a/8WKeFzN
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve actually been pretty pleased with the factory grips in terms of thickness and grippiness.

The only real dislike is they really need a bit of a taper towards the top of panels to allow your thumb to get under the safety a bit better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top