Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2020 5:23:06 PM EDT
So for a cheap single action, is the Wrangler much better quality than the Rough Rider?

I would presume the Ruger warranty is better (no clue actually) but I haven't seen much bad about either.

Thanks....P
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Well heritage has been making them longer, I also purchased a single six new and had to send it in for repair.  The cylinder would not except 22lr bullets without  pushing them in with lots of force.  They had to replace the cylinder.  I would get the cheapest one.  I think heritage is owned by taurus but I may be wrong.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both. The wrangler is way ahead of the rough rider. It is well worth the difference in price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Heritage that I got for cheap, it’s a good gun to plink with, and I have it handy when on my in-laws property.

If budget allows get the Ruger, if not don’t sweat it and get the Heritage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The cerakote on the Wrangler is butt ugly but the safety on the heritage is a bigger turn off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got both and the Ruger seems much higher quality.  Shoots really well.  Great gun for the price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you to everyone.....P
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger has excellent customer service.
I have personal experience.
No experience with Heritage CS but from all accounts it’s top notch also.

Here is something to think about:
Ruger says there won’t be a .22 WMR cylinder for the Wrangler because it would stretch the frame.
Heritage has been offering a magnum cylinder for their gun from Day 1.

You can find the Heritage on sale for $125 at times. Another $40 gets you a drop in magnum cylinder.
The last time they were on sale I bought 3 for family members.
All seem to be able to hit 2” targets at 25 yards.

In conclusion:
Get both!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Handle both first. Friends heritage blind grab and point aims way to the side. Same test on wrangler aims true like a single six for me.

My wrangler will not accept my bulk WWB ammo but fits my bulk federal ok a bit snug. Nice groups with a very pleasant trigger break.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger is worth the extra $.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So for a cheap single action, is the Wrangler much better quality than the Rough Rider?

I would presume the Ruger warranty is better (no clue actually) but I haven't seen much bad about either.

Thanks....P
View Quote

Get the Uberti version!
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I handled both side by side and forked over the extra cash to take the Ruger home.  The Wrangler felt a lot more solid, and the sights were quite a bit easier for me to see.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get the Uberti version!
View Quote
I really like my Uberti 1873.  Very nicely made.  The one I have uses the base pin as a hammer block.  You just pop it out one notch to run the gun.  The new ones use a different but equally unobtrusive safety and can carry 6 fully loaded safely and still have a proper looking 1873 hammer.  

The Wranglers are great guns for the money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind, Heritage is a Taurus company.

“Ship your UNLOADED Heritage handgun to:

Heritage Manufacturing, Inc.
Attention: Warranty Service Center
100 Taurus Way
Bainbridge, Georgia 39817“
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#16]
In terms of quality, I would say the Ruger is better. Simply because there's carry over from the other product lines. The barrel steel may be of high quality etc.
The finish is completely different on both. But does one hold up better than the other? I would say with normal handling, no. I doubt either one would look good if you through it behind the seat of your truck and let it bounce around.
You can get different barrel lengths with the Heritage. The Ruger's cylinder will rotate by opening the loading gate were as the Heritage has the traditional half cock.
I shoot both and to be honest with you I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The frame of the Heritage is zinc alloy (pot metal) and the Ruger frame is aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both.

Got the Ruger Wrangler because it was so cheap. ($159)

Got the Rough Rider at Academy on sale right before Christmas. ($100)

Wrangler shoots about 3 inches to the Right at 25 yards.

Rough Rider shoots a foot to the left.

Put them both in the safe and broke out the old trusty Stainless Single Six with adjustable sights that will hit a golf ball every shot at 25 yards.

Don't care about a Magnum cylinder. Have one for the Single Six and have shot 4 rounds total out of it. 22 Mag in a handgun isn't that much more power than regular .22 LR in my opinion.

If I was choosing between the two the Wrangler would win hands down though. Way more quality for just a bit more money at regular non blowout prices. $189 vs. $149 typically.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
My experience with bottom end single actions:  Buy neither one.

Accuracy, zeroing to sights (inability to adjust), simple function, durability of finish, poor sight picture in first place.

Buy a Ruger Single 6-9-10.  Be happy.  Buy something you don’t have to make excuses for.

L.L.Bean:  “Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.”
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I just don't shoot my revolvers. Hell I dont shoot any other 22 handguns anymore.

The MKIV Stainless Threaded Target with the Volquartsen accuracy kit is such a pleasure to shoot that. I just want to shoot it all the time. Accurate,  Solid, Feels great, Reliable.

Come to think of it. I need another MKIV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Heritage years ago,as I couldn't afford a higher priced/similar Ruger gun at the time, as they had the Single Six and Bear Cat. The Heritage felt really nice in the hand but unfortunately, that was about all it was good for. It had issues with timing-cylinder would not fully lock up, accuracy was terrible and would occasionally lock up on me after shooting less than a box of standard .22 lr rounds. I sold it at a pretty good loss, even though they are cheap to begin with and swore off cheap guns. Ruger quality is worth the few extra bucks, instead of dealing with one headache after another. For the price difference, of the two, it shouldn't be a consideration to cheap out,in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a Wrangler this morning on impulse. Trigger feels pretty good for a such a cheap gun. We'll see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like my Wrangler. Nice little gun for the price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't like the safety on the Heritage. That's a deal breaker for me. I don't like the cerakote on the Wrangler. For not much more than the Wrangler I bought a used Single Six.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Get the Uberti version!
View Quote

I want the 12 shot Uberti.  I have a Model P .357, and want the .22 to match.

Attachment Attached File

They are a big step up in price from the Wranglers, however.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#26]
i like the wrangler over the rough rider and they single six is a lot better years ago i found two of them that i still own for what the wrangler goes for today
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i like the wrangler over the rough rider and they single six is a lot better years ago i found two of them that i still own for what the wrangler goes for today
View Quote
Except today a wrangler goes for $189 and you're hard pressed to find a used single six for $350.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#28]
They are both junk. The wrangler is slightly less junky.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a wrangler last week
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are dead set on an inexpensive .22lr single action the Ruger is the clear winner.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Personally, I would continue to put a couple bucks every week into a jar and wait until a deal on a new or used Single-Six comes along.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 2 heritage's from Dunhams for $129 last week. One in the short and one in the long configuration. Then I got the Wrangler in bronze for $225.

For the heritage I like how you can half cock to load it (wrangler loads from hammer down), the loading gate is easier to open (Wrangler hard to open), and the cylinder clicks into position (wrangler just spins in both direction freely.  

I'm always skeptical of cerakote durability because it depends on how its applied. The heritage is blued and scratches easy. However, birchwood casey cold blue works nicely.

Right now im in the process of having the longer Heritage threaded 1/2x28 for use with my silencerco sparrow. I know revolvers aren't the best host, but I still want to own one.

Here is a picture I found online.

YT Video
https://youtu.be/JZAmOyGdJQU

IMO Get both, going to need one for each hand anyway
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top