Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2019 1:40:21 AM EDT
Something I'd like to get in the future is an inexpensive 22 wheelgun. I have a .38 snubnose from Charter with plans later on to snag a S&W 686, but I need to fill that rimfire void. I'm ashamed to say the rimfire side of my growing collection is rather tiny, at 1 (A Henry Frontier) out of 9.

I found something that seems to be a good gun, a Heritage Rough Rider, specifically the 6.5 inch model with wood grips and comes with a .22 Magnum cylinder for 159 before shipping and FFL. I also have my eye on the 6 inch model with the US flag grips, but does not appear to have the extra cylinder with it, not that it's in stock anyway. The US Flag model seems to be a special model.

I really like that it's a 6 shooter, not a 10 shot. I also like the extra cylinder. That removes the barrier of entry to 22 magnum, a rather expensive rimfire caliber that closely rivals 5.56. The price is probably my favorite part.

https://grabagun.com/heritage-22-22m-6-5-blue-fc.html

People seem to like these, but I always like to get current opinions.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the .22lr revolver bug.  I tried a Ruger Single Six and a Heritage.  I actually ended up preferring the Heritage because the cases had a tendency to stick in the Ruger cylinder.

If I was doing it again, I would get a S&W 17, 18, 34 or 63, even with the lock if I had to.  I would consider a Charter Pathfinder or Taurus 992 if price was an issue.  A swing out cylinder makes it more enjoyable for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll definately give those a look, but I don't think the loading gate style of this one would be a killjoy for me. When it comes to rimfire, I greatly enjoy the mechanical nature of lever actions, pumps, and loading gate revolvers. I don't know if that's because I was taught to shoot on a lever action or not, though.

The slower nature also helps conserve ammo
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if that's the case the Heritage can be had for as little as $125 new.  No reason not to get one at that price.  They aren't the most refined revolver and they are nowhere near the same quality materials as a Ruger but they work, fit and finish is acceptable, and they are fun.  I prefer the 4.75" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting S&W quality here. As long as she runs and can be fired reasonably accurate, it's fine by me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I want a heritage but my stupid state has stupid melting point laws. But polymer guns are fine, go figure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it, fun and cheap!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep in mind you can order a magnum cylinder for 40 bucks and shipping.
I bought a 6 inch model locally with just the 22lr cylinder for 109 + tax.
Might be a cheaper route than paying shipping as bd FFL.

Later on I got a 4 5/8 model with both cylinders for 150.

I dont know what State you're in, but if you have s Dunham's they've been running sales on both models.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I've heard any of the guns with both cylinders has a slightly larger bore and .22lr isn't very accurate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Something I'd like to get in the future is an inexpensive 22 wheelgun. I have a .38 snubnose from Charter with plans later on to snag a S&W 686, but I need to fill that rimfire void. I'm ashamed to say the rimfire side of my growing collection is rather tiny, at 1 (A Henry Frontier) out of 9.

I found something that seems to be a good gun, a Heritage Rough Rider, specifically the 6.5 inch model with wood grips and comes with a .22 Magnum cylinder for 159 before shipping and FFL. I also have my eye on the 6 inch model with the US flag grips, but does not appear to have the extra cylinder with it, not that it's in stock anyway. The US Flag model seems to be a special model.

I really like that it's a 6 shooter, not a 10 shot. I also like the extra cylinder. That removes the barrier of entry to 22 magnum, a rather expensive rimfire caliber that closely rivals 5.56. The price is probably my favorite part.

https://grabagun.com/heritage-22-22m-6-5-blue-fc.html

People seem to like these, but I always like to get current opinions.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say.
View Quote

PSA has the American Flag model in stock as of this posting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want a heritage but my stupid state has stupid melting point laws. But polymer guns are fine, go figure.
View Quote
Heritage makes a steel frame 22. It's a little more money, but I believe that one would be available to you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

PSA has the American Flag model in stock as of this posting.
View Quote
You know, I keep hearing about the deals PSA has, but for some reason I never think to look there. Definitely going to check it out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both Ruger and Heritage. Yes, the Ruger finish is nicer and it is more accurate on paper at 25yds. But they both have great moment of tin can accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger just introduced the Wrangler. You should take a look at that if you are on a budget.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If there's a Rural King near you, Heritage pistols are sometimes on sale for just over $100.  Shot one belonging to a friend.  Small, fixed sights, but accurate, once I got used to it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought my son a 6.5" Heritage. Shoots good but the cases are a BITCH to get out of the cylinder. I won't buy another one
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Just remember, Heritage is now owned by Taurus USA, as is Rossi.  I can tell you from experience, CS sucks balls.  I bought one of the 9-shot models at a Cabelas Black Friday sale in 2017.  I got lucky, and got a $100 gift card at the door, got $25 for qualifying for a Cabelas card, so only cost me $10 out of pocket.  Tried to order the .22 Mag cylinder the following week.  I was told, "2-3 weeks ship time".  After waiting a year, I finally filed a chargeback on my CC.  Last month, the screw fell out of the ejector housing(common on the Heritage small bores I found out later).  I called, and was on terminal hold for 4 hours before I hung up.  No response to emails, either.  I finally had the local smith re-tap the hole and solder a screw in(Heritage uses a proprietary thread).  Great shooter, just CS sucks.

I already have a bias for Taurus after the PT Series recall.  My son had a PT145 he paid almost $400 for new.  For the settlement, you had the option of $200 or a PT111 G2 9mm.  He gave the PT111 a shot, and should have taken the cash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
It is an ok revolver for the price.  Do NOT dry fire it.  You will peen the cylinder as it is much softer steel than the firing pin.  It will make extraction very difficult.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  ... 22 magnum, a rather expensive rimfire caliber that closely rivals 5.56.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  ... 22 magnum, a rather expensive rimfire caliber that closely rivals 5.56.
I want what you're smoking.  .22 WMR in no way approaches 5.56x45mm ballistics.

Quoted:  It is an ok revolver for the price.  Do NOT dry fire it.  You will peen the cylinder as it is much softer steel than the firing pin.  It will make extraction very difficult.
This.  This is where the extraction complaints come from.  Ah, but there's a safety, you say.  I'll just dry fire it w/ the safety on - and then the pot-metal safety shatters...

Have two of the older FIE, they're fun guns.  Do check out the new Ruger, OP, but the Heritage isn't bad for the money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a cheap 22lr revolver that goes bang, is fairly accurate, and is fun to plink with. What more can you ask from a gun that can be had for less than $120?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Friend of mine managed to crack the frame on his running it hard, okay for an occasional plinker but I'd look at a Wrangler if you want to use it for cowboy action practice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  Friend of mine managed to crack the frame on his running it hard, okay for an occasional plinker but I'd look at a Wrangler if you want to use it for cowboy action practice.
View Quote
 That's impressive.  What was the round count?
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got one from a few years back, it was an Academy black friday special.  For a bill I can't complain.  Love the previous poster mentioning the safety shattering on his.  It looked cheap plus I would have never used it anyway so I actually removed it from mine.  It's a single action style firearm.  You should load one, skip one, then load the next 4, control the hammer and let it down gently onto an empty chamber if your going to carry it ready to go.  You can always load a spent shell in the skipped chamber to minimize the peening effect on the cylinder if your not counting your shots like you should be. A manual safety doesn't belong on a single action firearm IMO. Trigger discipline and safe handling shouldn't be replaced by a safety. YMMV

I consider it a cheap plinker and for that purpose its a great range toy.  I have the .22 mag cylinder but I've fired it only once just to verify it worked.  .22mag is just too expensive to piss away for range fun but it's nice to have the option if I ever needed it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ruger just introduced the Wrangler. You should take a look at that if you are on a budget.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
View Quote
I just got some of the Wranglers for Christmas presents. Price was 179.99 each. trigger pull was 4.9 lbs. Get with your local dealer and get on the waiting list. They are in short supply in many areas.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I will be testing Heritage's customer service. I purchased three 6.5" barrel roughriders. Kind CS lady said 12 weeks till they get a chance to look at it. Accuracy isnt the best on 2 of them but one of them keyholes with any ammo I run  in it.

Now I'll let you all guess at what I found after careful inspection...
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will be testing Heritage's customer service. I purchased three 6.5" barrel roughriders. Kind CS lady said 12 weeks till they get a chance to look at it. Accuracy isnt the best on 2 of them but one of them keyholes with any ammo I run  in it.

View Quote
No lands and grooves?
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
If it was a happy accident, I'd buy all the .22 rat shot I could and go Pied Pipin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No lands and grooves?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No lands and grooves?
If so he has an unregistered NFA firearm.

AOW!
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a Heritage for $99 on Black Friday a few years ago.  It’s been an awesome gun. I’d recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a Rough Rider as a birthday present from my wife. I had one years ago with both cylinders, but sold it. The one my wife got me came with just the long rifle cylinder, so I started looking for a magnum cylinder. Sellers on ebay or gunbroker want $90 for one. I called Heritage and was told they are $29.99, but are currently out of stock and sell out quickly when they do come available. I'll likely call back after the first of the year and place one on back order. The customer service lady was shocked when I told her what they are listed at online.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I needed another .22LR like I needed a hole in the head (already had a 4" Rough Rider), but how am I supposed to walk away from this gun for $130 OTD, with both cylinders?

Attachment Attached File

With the .22WRM cylinder, this little guy is just the shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top