Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2021 5:30:46 PM EDT
I was shooting suppressed with my own reloaded 147 9mm loads done up on a Dillon 550C.

First fifteen rounds went fine, changed mags and first round was fine, ejected fine, second round did not seat completely in chamber, slide would not move.

I was able to remove slide and find round protruding from rear of chamber enough that I cannot drop barrel enough to remove it, round cannot be pushed forward either, although I have not put much force into trying.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had this happen with 9mm reloads and the match chamber on my XDm. This is how someone told me to solve it.

Back to range.
Reinstall slide
Point in safe direction
Grip slide tightly, over the top of the ejection port, thumb pointing backward
Ram shooting hand firmly into the back of the grip (you are trying to force the frame forward)
After about 2 forceful hits, the round was pulled loose and dropped out the bottom of the gun.

The cause is a bulge at the bottom of the case that is getting hung up.
Due to the taper in a 9mm case, unless you are roll sizing them you can never really get rid of the bulge, just sort of keep it at bay.
The way to keep it from happening is to plunk test your rounds after loading to ensure they all chamber properly in your gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
For your consideration:

Video 1

Video 2
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I knew someone here would know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The brass I used was from. G17 and G43, I have a Lone Wolf threaded barrel on the 19 for the suppressor.

The videos explained it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Redding makes a push through sizing die specifically for that problem. I have never used one, but it seems like a good idea and they make really good stuff.

Edit: Unfortunately, they only list it for .40.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
https://outdoors.natchezss.com/bestsellers/9mm-Carbide-Sizing-Die
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Pop the back slide cover off and get everything out of the slide and you can tap the barrel out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen this happen a lot and theadvice about holding the slide and hitting the backstrap works every time. Going forward, get yourself a chamber gage and 100% check all your reloads (rejecting all failures of course). If you do this religiously, you will never have this problem again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If it happens again, you use the Henk Gorilla Grip (tm) to clear the obstruction (the tool was version of banging on the back strap):

1. Pointing the muzzle forward in a safe direction, grasp the grip with your firing hand, and place your support hand palm on top of the slide just on the frontside of the sights so that the first pad of all four fingers are in contact with one side of the slide and the meaty portion of your thumb is in contact with the other

2. Gorilla grip squeeze as hard as you possibly can

3. Holding the slide in place with your support hand, so that your support elbow is cocked at a 90 degree angle, hold firm while you punch the gun forward as hard as you possibly can with your firing hand only.

It will come loose.

If that doesn’t work, brace the rear sight on a wooden surface and do it again (drop the magazine this time tho bc the ejection port is going to be covered). If you have plastic sights on your gun, you will have to replace them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an hourglass shaped round seize up my PPQ. I had to take a punch and mallet to the muzzle end of the slide to free it. Wasn’t happening by hand. With the slide off, I dunno. Make sure you’re being really safe, considering it’s a live round.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
How did you manage to get the slide off?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you manage to get the slide off?
View Quote

Trigger was disengaged so usual slide removal technique worked.

Holding slide while pushing on blackstrap ejected round.

I use a Dillon case gauge.

It seems this case was just slightly too long.

I need to resize then check OAL...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
You should really use a case chamber checker.  As your loading use it ensure specs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a Dillon case gauge.

The issue is the case length, not Glock bulge.

The videos QrtMOA posted explained it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top